thank you =)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
puff0ffluff

thank you =)

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:42 am

I really want to go to Cornell. It's been my dream ever since I decided I want to go to law school? Also, my parents are pushing for UChicago, but I'm okay not going (I just want to know my chances)

Help from experienced people? ^^;
Last edited by puff0ffluff on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

smokeylarue

Re: 3.50/ 171 ^_^; help?

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 am

Assuming you're not URM, decent shot at Cornell (your GPA is low for all the T14, but LSAT is probably enough to get you in). No shot at UChicago.

Edit: Also if you're talking about THIS cycle, it's a little late, I'd try for next year.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:28 am

smokeylarue wrote:Assuming you're not URM, decent shot at Cornell (your GPA is low for all the T14, but LSAT is probably enough to get you in). No shot at UChicago.

Edit: Also if you're talking about THIS cycle, it's a little late, I'd try for next year.

._. i can't wait until next year... i'm graduating this year and i do need to be somewhere next year. do i still have some chance at cornell?

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 am

Of course theres still a chance though its not as great as if you had applied before the holidays. It's a weird cycle perhaps everyone will be more forgiving of late apps this year.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:40 am

well, everyone who waited for the december lsat scores has to apply either today or tomorrow o-o; and october was a mean lsat...

><; here's to hoping, and thanks for the advice. good luck in your own apps =)

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 am

If you don't get into Cornell this cycle it's probably due to applying late. You still stand a decent chance though. If you don't get in this cycle please don't settle for lesser schools just because you have to "be somewhere next year." You definitely have options with those numbers and if it means sitting through another cycle then you should do it.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 am

Errzii wrote:If you don't get into Cornell this cycle it's probably due to applying late. You still stand a decent chance though. If you don't get in this cycle please don't settle for lesser schools just because you have to "be somewhere next year." You definitely have options with those numbers and if it means sitting through another cycle then you should do it.

^^; as much as I would like to do that, I don't have the money to wait another year. what I have saved up and what my parents gave me is barely enough for law school. i can't even afford the applications again, much less a whole year's rent + costs...

i wrote a fairly intricate "Why Cornell" essay ;_; telling them just how much I love them. do you think that helps?

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:42 am

puff0ffluff wrote:
Errzii wrote:If you don't get into Cornell this cycle it's probably due to applying late. You still stand a decent chance though. If you don't get in this cycle please don't settle for lesser schools just because you have to "be somewhere next year." You definitely have options with those numbers and if it means sitting through another cycle then you should do it.

^^; as much as I would like to do that, I don't have the money to wait another year. what I have saved up and what my parents gave me is barely enough for law school. i can't even afford the applications again, much less a whole year's rent + costs...

i wrote a fairly intricate "Why Cornell" essay ;_; telling them just how much I love them. do you think that helps?

Here are applicants with similar numbers as yours that applied to Cornell on LSN from 03 to current (flip through the tabs to see respective years), http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ,8&type=jd

In total,
22 acceptances
2 reject
7 waitlist

As I said before, based on just numbers you still stand a fairly decent chance. As for the "Why Cornell" essay, the TLS interview with their dean of admissions suggests it doesn't really matter that much unfortunately,

Could an applicant significantly improve his or her chances of admission by drafting a personal statement specifically for Cornell?

I don’t think so. A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/geiger-interview.html

Honestly, the best you can do at this point is just sit tight and see what happens. If you do get waitlisted make sure to send LOCIs and anything else that could help get you off the WL. I wish you the best of luck because I'd really hate to see decent numbers go to waste just because you applied late and can't afford to wait another year. Hopefully everything works out. Good luck.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:06 am

puff0ffluff wrote:

Why not get a job and work for a year? I think most people agree that K-JD is not the best plan and work experience is one of the more consistent application softs.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Errzii wrote:

thank you so much =D! I'm definately going to give it a good try. worst come to worst, I heard boston U is nice too =)

Nelson wrote:Why not get a job and work for a year? I think most people agree that K-JD is not the best plan and work experience is one of the more consistent application softs.

i thought about that, but so far, no luck at finding a sustainable job. most places I applied to aren't looking for someone who knows they'd leave after a year =(

currently i work part time as a writing tutor and a computer consultant ^^; sadly, neither one of my bosses has enough work to increase that to a "full-time"

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:i thought about that, but so far, no luck at finding a sustainable job. most places I applied to aren't looking for someone who knows they'd leave after a year =(

Why the fuck are you telling them that?! Don't be a moron. And stop abusing emoticons. And seriously, you need to get a job before professional school.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 pm

IAFG wrote:
puff0ffluff wrote:i thought about that, but so far, no luck at finding a sustainable job. most places I applied to aren't looking for someone who knows they'd leave after a year =(

Why the fuck are you telling them that?! Don't be a moron. And stop abusing emoticons. And seriously, you need to get a job before professional school.

TITCR

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Assuming you're not URM, decent shot at Cornell (your GPA is low for all the T14, but LSAT is probably enough to get you in). No shot at UChicago.

Provided you apply next cycle, you certainly could grab Chicago ED, but you don't sound sold on the school. You have a solid chance at Cornell applying early in the cycle next year.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Samara wrote:
IAFG wrote:

TITCR

Seriously, you dont sound ready to continue straight through. Take a year off, work, save some money and get some real world experience. You wont regret it.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

nevermind

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Samara wrote:
IAFG wrote:

TITCR

Seriously, you dont sound ready to continue straight through. Take a year off, work, save some money and get some real world experience. You wont regret it.

+1

puff0ffluff

Re: 3.50/ 171 for Cornell? ^_^; help?

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm curious, but why not "ready for straight through"? What makes other candidates different?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:I'm curious, but why not "ready for straight through"? What makes other candidates different?

I tried to delete that before we got into this. You dont sound mature enough. You are not reasoning correctly. You are saying that you dont have enough money to take a year off of paying tuition and earn money working. You are talking about "how much money your parents gave you." You dont know how to play the game, and by that I mean you dont seem to see how the real world works.

Oh and your TLS box.... really? Not that its not nice, but not realistic.

(TLS Box: I wish everyone the best and hope you all get into your top choice schools. No one deserves less after all the trouble and stress they're going through now.)

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:12 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:I'm curious, but why not "ready for straight through"? What makes other candidates different?

This is the response of someone who has never worked a real jerb full time. School is a luxury (in fact, in the Greek it's "leisure" [god I can't believe I just busted that out]).

If you can't find a jerb before law school, you'll never be able to find one in the worst legal market in the history of all mankind.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Campagnolo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm

IAFG wrote:

Woah lady, calm "the fuck" down. Seriously, what did you do when hiring law firms when they ask how long you plan to stay? Lie?

Honestly, there are plenty of people who go to law school right after college, so I don't understand where you people are getting the "need to get a job before professionals school". Yes, I get work experience helps, but you don't have to be over 25 to go to law school, so with all due respect, does anybody have anything to say that doesn't involve "go get a job"?
Last edited by puff0ffluff on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Woah lady, calm the fuck down. Seriously, what did you do when hiring law firms when they ask how long you plan to stay? Lie?

Honestly, there are plenty of people who go to law school right after college, so I don't understand where you people are getting the "need to get a job before professionals school". Yes, I get work experience helps, but you don't have to be over 25 to go to law school, so with all due respect, does anybody have anything to say that doesn't involve "go get a job"?

No, you personally need to. You don't have to disclose your grad school plans. You don't know for sure you'll leave after a year. You don't know for sure you'll last 6 months. You don't know if they're fire you after a week for emoticon abuse.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

I tried to delete that before we got into this. You dont sound mature enough. You are not reasoning correctly. You are saying that you dont have enough money to take a year off of paying tuition and earn money working. You are talking about "how much money your parents gave you." You dont know how to play the game, and by that I mean you dont seem to see how the real world works.

Oh and your TLS box.... really? Not that its not nice, but not realistic.

(TLS Box: I wish everyone the best and hope you all get into your top choice schools. No one deserves less after all the trouble and stress they're going through now.)

Dude, you've gotta be kidding if you think anyone can be this smiley all the time I only put that in the TLS Box cause 1) it's better than sounding like a jaded fool going around discouraging people, 2) because these people didn't give me a good reason to discourage them, and 3) people did go through a lot of shit waiting for the December LSAT scores.

You wanna know how much my parents gave me? 10,000$ in 2004. That I dropped into the Chinese stock market (you know, the one that didn't crash in 2008) and made a cool 50,000 as of last year. As for job experience, my boss is a professor at the UCLA school of law. I only want to go to Cornell because I happen to like the place...

Honestly, if this is what it boils down to... just because I'm not brutal to other candidates doesn't mean I shouldn't go to law school.
Last edited by puff0ffluff on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

puff0ffluff wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Seriously, what did you do when hiring law firms when they ask how long you plan to stay? Lie?

Yea you should.

puff0ffluff

Postby puff0ffluff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:33 pm

IAFG wrote:No, you personally need to. You don't have to disclose your grad school plans. You don't know for sure you'll leave after a year. You don't know for sure you'll last 6 months. You don't know if they're fire you after a week for emoticon abuse.

Fire me because I emotionally abuse my bosses? That happens? (did you do that?)

calidancer2

Postby calidancer2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 pm

your original post and last posts sound like 2 different posters. whatttt is going on

Return to “What are my chances?”