Hi there 173/3.55

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NDIrish2012

Hi there 173/3.55

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 am

Hey All, just hoping to get some advice on my chances at t14 schools. Here is my deal:

Oct 2011- 161
Dec 2011- 173
Undergrad GPA (Notre Dame)- 3.55

The 161 was a total aberration and I can explain it adequately. I believe that my PS is quite good, and so too are my recommendations. I also have attached a socioeconomic diversity statement to my apps that I think presents a good picture of my circumstances. My hope is to get into Columbia or NYU. I have a fee waiver and intend on applying to almost all of the top 14, as well as a few others.

My concerns are the first, very low, LSAT, my somewhat weak GPA, and the lateness of my application. I have already submitted my apps to Columbia and NYU, nonetheless I am eager to see what others opinion on my chances are.

Thank you for your help, and I hope it doesn't scare me :shock:

Grizz

Re: Hi there 173/3.55

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 am

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:01 am

Grizz, forgive me, but I consider myself to be a "splitter", given my relatively weak GPA. The other consideration not accurately reflected in pure numbers is the fact that I have an extremely low LSAT on record... I am not sure how certain law schools will view this. Obviously I know Columbia will take the higher score if the difference is more than 5, and that NYU generally averages. But what I would like to know, from the cumulative knowledge present on this board, is something more tangible...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:20 am

NDIrish2012 wrote:Grizz, forgive me, but I consider myself to be a "splitter", given my relatively weak GPA. The other consideration not accurately reflected in pure numbers is the fact that I have an extremely low LSAT on record... I am not sure how certain law schools will view this. Obviously I know Columbia will take the higher score if the difference is more than 5, and that NYU generally averages. But what I would like to know, from the cumulative knowledge present on this board, is something more tangible...

I had very similar stats with 3 LSAT scores. I think the three scores may have hurt me a little. I remember spending a lot of time on LSN doing searches for people with multiple scores and trying to figure out how it would affect me for CCN. Here's how my cycle ended up (applied 2 years ago; also applied pretty early):
Columbia- WL'd
Chicago- WL'd
NYU- WL'd
Michigan- WL'd
UVA- In with 20K/yr
Penn- Deferred-->Didn't write a LOCI-->Rejected
Berkeley- Rejected
NU- In with no money
Duke- Rejected

FWIW, I think you have a decent shot at NYU or Chicago (and somewhat of a chance at Columbia) and a good shot at landing money at one of MVP. I don't think the multiple scores affecting my results with MVP (they are pretty unpredictable even for people with stellar stats, and I think I had a chance to get accepted to Penn if I had shown any sort of interest, which I didn't). CCN may be a different story. It may affect things, it may not. Do searches on LSN for people with multiple scores and check as many profiles with similar stats (sometimes people don't check the "multiple scores" box, but will list multiple scores in their LSN profile).

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 am

Thanks alot Richie! I will check those things, but I especially appreciate you relaying your personal experiences... somehow I think those are so much more helpful haha.

Btw, nice avatar! I loved that movie specifically because of the Borg reference :)

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 am

The LSAT is the least of your worries. Generally, not all schools average your LSAT scores, those that do tend to average them only when scores are within 2-4 points of each other, because that represents your testing range. For such a large disparity, most likely, they will just discount it, at worst they will think it reflects poorly on your ability to either cancel your score or pick a test date when you are better prepared. Your GPA is the issue here, not much you can do about that. What major?

NDIrish2012

Postby NDIrish2012 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 am

Philosophy... but my whole PS is about my decision to pursue philosophy despite its lackluster reputation.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 am

NDIrish2012 wrote:Hey All, just hoping to get some advice on my chances at t14 schools. Here is my deal:

Oct 2011- 161
Dec 2011- 173
Undergrad GPA (Notre Dame)- 3.55

The 161 was a total aberration and I can explain it adequately. I believe that my PS is quite good, and so too are my recommendations. I also have attached a socioeconomic diversity statement to my apps that I think presents a good picture of my circumstances. My hope is to get into Columbia or NYU. I have a fee waiver and intend on applying to almost all of the top 14, as well as a few others.

My concerns are the first, very low, LSAT, my somewhat weak GPA, and the lateness of my application. I have already submitted my apps to Columbia and NYU, nonetheless I am eager to see what others opinion on my chances are.

Thank you for your help, and I hope it doesn't scare me :shock:

Your numbers would have gotten you NYU ED this cycle. You should seriously consider reapplying next cycle and EDing NYU if you want a shot at T6.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:27 am

Almost identical stats last cycle. 163/173/3.6.
In at Columbia, Duke($)
W/L at NYU, Penn
Out at H/Y

I have no idea how the low LSAT affects cycles but it obviously didn't kill me. Good luck

Return to “What are my chances?”