171 LSAT, 3.75 LSDAS GPA, But... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
PR-0927

New

171 LSAT, 3.75 LSDAS GPA, But...

Post by PR-0927 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 am

I took the LSAT three times. First and second times were October and December of 2010. Got a 159 both times. Graduated in June 2011 . Took the year off because I was cocky and applied to zero safety schools. Ohio State University for undergraduate, BSBA in MIS, minor in Political Science. Spent this summer in a congressional district office as an intern, and got one recommendation from a lawyer from there. Spent months preparing for the LSAT again, because I knew I could do better - I had done very well in almost all of my practice tests, but managed to screw up on the actual test days due to a variety of reasons (one being nervousness - I can't combat that).

Just got my third try score today of 171 for the December 2011 LSAT - I was (and still am) pleasantly astonished. Took 51 unique practice LSATs (ignoring the two real ones I took earlier). Thank God that work paid off.

So I want to know - do I have any chance with Berkeley? I REALLY want to go to a California school, and I'm thinking Stanford is an unlikely. What do you all think? UCLA? USC? Irvine?

I know most schools only look at the highest score, but that some average them if the scores are close enough - since I've taken the LSAT three times (and two of those were the same score), I'm uncertain if this would happen to me. Berkeley and UCLA are my top choices right now (Stanford too if I had a more reasonable chance with them).

No URM here. BUT my parents are from India (still doesn't count as URM, sadly :P).

Planning on focusing on my trilingualism, technology background (MIS, among other stuff), district office experience, political science minor, and resilience in my personal statement. Oh, and my interest in international/comparative law, and perhaps some technology law too (perhaps mixed together?). Was interested in the anti-terrorism law stuff I saw in UCLA (I think it was UCLA).

Thanks in advance for any input/advice. Don't be too hard on me now, I just spent a solid year of self-loathing and mind-warping stress to get myself a better LSAT score. :P

PR-0927

New

Re: 171 LSAT, 3.75 LSDAS GPA, But...

Post by PR-0927 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 am

Geez, no one has any answers? Is my circumstance strange enough that everyone is baffled?

chitown2626

New

Post by chitown2626 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:28 am

PR-0927 wrote:Geez, no one has any answers? Is my circumstance strange enough that everyone is baffled?
no, its not that strange

apply to all those cali schools, stanford is a huge reach but worth the fee. UCB is a possibility as well. I woudl think you wouldnt have a problem getting into USC or UCLA. good luck congrats on the new score

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:32 am

Almost no chance at Stanford, you definitely have the numbers for Berkeley but they have funky admissions so people with your numbers get rejected all the time from there. In at UCLA and USC.

PR-0927

New

Post by PR-0927 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses! I guess I'll apply at Stanford anyways, in the hopes that something stands out enough in their eyes that they admit me, even if unlikely.

Also, I just called Berkeley and asked them about their policy if I took the test three times with the first two at 159 and the third at 171. They said that the 12-point increase was so substantial that they would take the highest score, no questions asked. This is probably important information for a lot of you out there, and for a few threads about averaging-versus-highest score policies of several schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”