Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
caiteden
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby caiteden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi everyone, I just received an underwhelming December lsat of 153, about 8-9 points less than where I was on practice tests. I spent every free moment studying before the test, but I was also working full-time and going to school full-time so free moments were limited. I'm really upset because I am already at a disadvantage this late in th cycle and now this has just sealed the deal. I live in Rochester, NY and am DYING to go to U Buffalo. I'm a finance major and my gpa is a 3.9, which will put me well above UB's 75th percentile. However, their 25th percentile lsat score is 154. Is it at all possible that my high gpa would "make up" for my lsat score, or am I just out of luck? Any responses would be so appreciated!

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby itsirtou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:56 pm

caiteden wrote:Hi everyone, I just received an underwhelming December lsat of 153, about 8-9 points less than where I was on practice tests. I spent every free moment studying before the test, but I was also working full-time and going to school full-time so free moments were limited. I'm really upset because I am already at a disadvantage this late in th cycle and now this has just sealed the deal. I live in Rochester, NY and am DYING to go to U Buffalo. I'm a finance major and my gpa is a 3.9, which will put me well above UB's 75th percentile. However, their 25th percentile lsat score is 154. Is it at all possible that my high gpa would "make up" for my lsat score, or am I just out of luck? Any responses would be so appreciated!


Any chance you could wait a year, raise your LSAT, and reapply next cycle? Your GPA is really great so if you just raised your LSAT to where you were apparently PT-ing at you could have a good shot at some better schools. If it's just U Buffalo you want and nowhere else, I think your high GPA could make up for your LSAT score, but I guess it's not a sure thing.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm

itsirtou wrote:
caiteden wrote:Hi everyone, I just received an underwhelming December lsat of 153, about 8-9 points less than where I was on practice tests. I spent every free moment studying before the test, but I was also working full-time and going to school full-time so free moments were limited. I'm really upset because I am already at a disadvantage this late in th cycle and now this has just sealed the deal. I live in Rochester, NY and am DYING to go to U Buffalo. I'm a finance major and my gpa is a 3.9, which will put me well above UB's 75th percentile. However, their 25th percentile lsat score is 154. Is it at all possible that my high gpa would "make up" for my lsat score, or am I just out of luck? Any responses would be so appreciated!


Any chance you could wait a year, raise your LSAT, and reapply next cycle? Your GPA is really great so if you just raised your LSAT to where you were apparently PT-ing at you could have a good shot at some better schools. If it's just U Buffalo, I think your high GPA could make up for your LSAT score, but I guess it's not a sure thing.

Pretty solid post. You say that you were too busy to really study hard for the LSAT, so if you are graduating in the Spring you could take a year off and really nail the LSAT for next cycle. If you are set on Buffalo, you may have a chance this cycle for admission considering your GPA, but it is a toss up with that LSAT. If you consider retaking after some full-time LSAT prep, you could get into an even better school or just to get a nice scholarship from Buffalo (from NY so I know SUNY schools are cheaper than most for NY residents but still). I personally went the retake route (didn't take a year off but studied my ass off during the summer prior to senior year in UG) and am glad I did; I went from 156 to 169 with 3 months of prep.

If you would like advice on how to raise your score for a retake, PM me. Otherwise, best of luck in your decision!

User avatar
mrtoren
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby mrtoren » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Apply and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, you study, retake, and wait until the next cycle.

caiteden
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby caiteden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks for the advice- I guess all I can do is apply and hope for the best. I didn't want to have to wait until next cycle but it looks like that might be what I have to do. :(

westbayguy
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby westbayguy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Study harder and retake. You'll likely do better. With that GPA you should try for a better school- or the same school with money. If you score higher, an app addendum explaining the demands on your time the first go around would probably work in your favor. (It's unlikely you will score lower if you retake).

caiteden
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby caiteden » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:14 pm

westbayguy wrote:Study harder and retake. You'll likely do better. With that GPA you should try for a better school- or the same school with money. If you score higher, an app addendum explaining the demands on your time the first go around would probably work in your favor. (It's unlikely you will score lower if you retake).


Thanks for the advice. So do you think that my lsat completely rules me out for this cycle? Because if I could get in without a scholarship I would still be delighted, I just really want to get accepted period. I guess I'll just have to apply and find out :/

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Even if you're 100% sure where you want to go, going with scholarship makes things much easier.

User avatar
fatpeopleavenger
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 pm

she's hot

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Hjones33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

fatpeopleavenger wrote:she's hot


Your avatar thing on the side made that a thousand times more hilarious.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Philosopher King » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:52 pm

I sympathize with you very much. I got a 164 on my last properly timed preptest and ended up with a 155 LSAT score score. I think I agree with what the others on here have said. If waiting for the next cycle is acceptable than maybe do that or just go for it now. I think you have a pretty good chance. Of course, if your LSAT was above the 75th percentile and your GPA below the 25th percentile that would be better but I would make a compelling statement explaining away the low LSAT score. I have a rough draft of one that maybe I will post soon. Good luck!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Grizz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 am

enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com

caiteden
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby caiteden » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:25 am

Philosopher King wrote:I sympathize with you very much. I got a 164 on my last properly timed preptest and ended up with a 155 LSAT score score. I think I agree with what the others on here have said. If waiting for the next cycle is acceptable than maybe do that or just go for it now. I think you have a pretty good chance. Of course, if your LSAT was above the 75th percentile and your GPA below the 25th percentile that would be better but I would make a compelling statement explaining away the low LSAT score. I have a rough draft of one that maybe I will post soon. Good luck!


Thank you for the response, I'll keep an eye out for your statement. I wasn't sure whether to address it or not in a statement so I appreciate the advice.

caiteden
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby caiteden » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:30 am

Grizz wrote:enjoy lawschoolnumbers.com


I know, I've looked on there but Buffalo doesn't have a lot of applicants listed so it is hard to say. I was mainly wondering if anyone had any experience with a gpa above a school's 75th percentile and an LSAT below the 25th, and how it worked out.

User avatar
Philosopher King
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Philosopher King » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:30 am

caiteden wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:I sympathize with you very much. I got a 164 on my last properly timed preptest and ended up with a 155 LSAT score score. I think I agree with what the others on here have said. If waiting for the next cycle is acceptable than maybe do that or just go for it now. I think you have a pretty good chance. Of course, if your LSAT was above the 75th percentile and your GPA below the 25th percentile that would be better but I would make a compelling statement explaining away the low LSAT score. I have a rough draft of one that maybe I will post soon. Good luck!


Thank you for the response, I'll keep an eye out for your statement. I wasn't sure whether to address it or not in a statement so I appreciate the advice.


Well, some schools have a separate optional statement for this. Temple calls it a Sp.A.C.E. statement and it seems to be made for people like you and I. Check it out here: http://www.law.temple.edu/pages/prospec ... x#criteria

Pasted below is some of what I had written in anticipation of a low LSAT. Both paragraphs could be merged into one. I would heavily edit this before submitting it obviously since there is a little bit of edginess in it. But if you want to know how I really feel this is closer to it then what will appear in my final statement. I would probably add something about how not being "neurotypical" (I have Asperger's) and having a low processing speed (which is medically documented) prevented my other cognitive abilities (which are very strong) from being reflected in the score because of the strict time limits.

I feel the need to explain my relatively low LSAT score and why that should not affect my admissions chances. I am not a standard person and, as I see it, there is no standard life, no standard day, no standard court case, etc. thus rendering any standardized test as a measurement of anything important questionable. Besides, there is no reason why filling in bubbles with a pencil for three hours one Saturday morning should count so much more than my performance for over three years and countless thousands of hours of undergraduate work. I'm not anti-LSAT but I think a 4.0 cumulative GPA with majors in philosophy and political science from a well-respected and highly selective university serve as a better measure of my ability to reason, analyze, think logically, formulate good arguments, comprehend information, and other such skills than any three hour multiple choice standardized test ever could. I have mastered the skills that the LSAT tests for and that law schools rightly want their students to possess. There would be no way to get the grades I did without having these skills.

I never took the SAT or the ACT. If I had taken the ACT or SAT I may not have done very well since standardized tests are not my forte. Nonetheless my undergraduate performance was excellent. In other words, the SAT or ACT probably would not not have reflected such an ability to succeed in college. I don't see why this same logic can''t be applied to my LSAT score and my performance in law school.

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Hjones33 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 am

How many replies does this post get if the OP doesn't have a picture of a cute girl who many assume is her?

I say the over under is 3 replies, and I would take the under.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 am

Hjones33 wrote:How many replies does this post get if the OP doesn't have a picture of a cute girl who many assume is her?

I say the over under is 3 replies, and I would take the under.


I'd take the over.

Cute Girls drive interest? Boy, when the marketing folks get wind of this everyone better watch out.

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Hjones33 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 am

The over? Interesting, I would assume it would just get a response of lsn.com.

I need to put up a picture of a cute girl from a webcam.

User avatar
Davidbentley
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Just got LSAT Score & Devastated- chances?

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 am

Hjones33 wrote:The over? Interesting, I would assume it would just get a response of lsn.com.

I need to put up a picture of a cute girl from a webcam.


Yes, grizz would post the lsn link. But, i think at least a few people would come in with the don't waste that gpa at buffalo line. IDK though, ask me how my parlays have done this year.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests