HY chances this late in the game.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
brownpride

HY chances this late in the game.

Postby brownpride » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm applying to the T-14 with a 4.18/173, hoping to get into H or Y. I was hoping to have everything done by the end of September, but I've gotten really screwed by references and I'm going to end up getting my applications in around mid-late January with completely mediocre references. What are my chances at H and Y at this point?

lawyerwannabe

Re: HY chances this late in the game.

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Your chances at Y are probably not diminished at all because of the way they do admissions for law school.

Your chances at H are probably slightly diminished but I still believe you will get an acceptance from them before the cycle is over.

Regarding the rest of the T-14 (minus S), your chances at scholarship money will be the part of your cycle that will experience the biggest detriment.

Best of luck!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 pm

are you urm?

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Nope, not an URM. And thanks wannabee. How bad do you think that detriment would be. Do you think I could still score some real aid at Georgetown or Cornell?

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:02 pm

brownpride wrote:Nope, not an URM. And thanks wannabee. How bad do you think that detriment would be. Do you think I could still score some real aid at Georgetown or Cornell?

Probs but you'd be dumb to go to these with a full ride. At the very least, you'd get a rubenstein next cycle.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Your choice should be between HYS and Full-Ride(ish) T-10 (think Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern).

If it is anything less at the end of the cycle, it would pay to be patient and apply next cycle (assuming you have something somewhat meaningful to do in the interim).

Note: not real familiar with the Ruby but maybe you have a shot at this scholarship as well.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 am

brownpride wrote:Nope, not an URM. And thanks wannabee. How bad do you think that detriment would be. Do you think I could still score some real aid at Georgetown or Cornell?

Getting money this late in the game is a crap shoot. The money might simply not be there, or you might have to work harder to get it. At Columbia, for example, once the Hamiltons and Butlers are gone, everyone is just fighting over scraps. I assume the other schools' name scholarships are similar, although most have better merit aid than Columbia even outside the named scholarships. I know a guy who applied late-ish (around now) who got great money at GULC, but nothing anywhere else.
TL;DR: It will affect admissions much less than it will affect money.

brownpride

Postby brownpride » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Got my apps in Jan 30 - I realize how late that is, but didn't have a choice. 2 follow-up questions:

1. How MUCH does that late date affect offers at mid-T14s (Michigan, Penn, Duke) and at low T-14s like Cornell and GULC? Substantially, or just a little?

2. I know my numbers are good but my PS was complete crap. I wrote it in one day and it was mediocre, but I just had to get it in. Does the PS make that big of a difference, or are my numbers enough (particularly for Harvard)?

I just don't wanna have to go through this again next year :(

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm in a very similar boat with a 173 and 4.0 with apps sent in on the 29th. If by chance you didn't see my thread, check it out, everyone has been fairly helpful with info.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=177341

My PS was a little weak too- not necessarily as rushed, I just re-read it the last time and said wow this is bland but it's too late to mess with it. My softs are fairly non-existent as well.

Keep us updated on your progress, hopefully we'll both end up with some good results.

Return to “What are my chances?”