Hypothetical...please don't kill me Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lutcf2021

New

Hypothetical...please don't kill me

Post by lutcf2021 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:55 am

Do you think HYS (emphasis on yale) accepts severe splitters?
178 LSAT
3.3 GPA
URM, Okay Softs.

(i don't have these stats and I'm not a flame, but I'm curious.)

MormonChristian

Bronze

Re: Hypothetical...please don't kill me

Post by MormonChristian » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:01 am

lutcf2021 wrote:Do you think HYS (emphasis on yale) accepts severe splitters?
178 LSAT
3.3 GPA
URM, Okay Softs.

(i don't have these stats and I'm not a flame, but I'm curious.)

Depends on which URM, but I vote yes.

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 am

African American Male.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:15 am

Yale- Maybe

Harvard & Stanford: Probably 75% or greater shot at getting one of these. A 3.3, 178 AA male would be in very high demand even among HYS in the urm pool of applicants.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:21 am

lutcf2021 wrote:African American Male.
AA male I vote no for this year. But this year would be his best chance to get in, in the last 10+ years. AA female or NA, I would vote definitely yes.
2 years ago, Yale only accepted 3 law students in that number range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:02 am

Which part of this is hypothetical?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:07 am

MormonChristian wrote: AA male I vote no for this year. But this year would be his best chance to get in, in the last 10+ years. AA female or NA, I would vote definitely yes.
He actually has a better chance of getting in as an AA male compared to an AA female. The issue is however moot since it's hypothetical anyways.

xkcd09

New

Post by xkcd09 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 am

The lowest GPA in Yale's Class of 2014 was 3.61 and the lowest GPA in YLS Class of 2013 was 3.4, so 3.3 would definitely face an uphill battle there.

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:46 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
MormonChristian wrote: AA male I vote no for this year. But this year would be his best chance to get in, in the last 10+ years. AA female or NA, I would vote definitely yes.
He actually has a better chance of getting in as an AA male compared to an AA female.
You could be right.

But....

Yale accepts a lot more AA females than AA males. I think the reason is not necessarily because the females have better numbers but because they fill a diversity mandate. By accepting AA females, Yale fills the female and the AA mandate. There doesn't appear to be a male mandate, and typically law is a male dominated field.

I think it needs to be said that numbers can be gamed fairly easily but diversity is very hard to game. Numbers can be bought, diversity (as far as I know) can not be bought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:58 am

MormonChristian wrote: Yale accepts a lot more AA females than AA males.
That's the point. Scarcity.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:15 am

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:22 am

Lawschoolnumbers.com

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:30 am

MormonChristian wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
He actually has a better chance of getting in as an AA male compared to an AA female.
You could be right.

But....

Yale accepts a lot more AA females than AA males. I think the reason is not necessarily because the females have better numbers but because they fill a diversity mandate. By accepting AA females, Yale fills the female and the AA mandate. There doesn't appear to be a male mandate, and typically law is a male dominated field.

I think it needs to be said that numbers can be gamed fairly easily but diversity is very hard to game. Numbers can be bought, diversity (as far as I know) can not be bought.
So Yale accepted more female AA students than male AA students because that's their preference.

Allow me to use the same logic to explain something else. Men who consistently sleep with ugly women just prefer ugly chicks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 am

MormonChristian wrote:
lutcf2021 wrote:African American Male.
AA male I vote no for this year. But this year would be his best chance to get in, in the last 10+ years. AA female or NA, I would vote definitely yes.
How many people in that number range exist? There are only about 50 178+ in a test administration, and that is mostly non-URMs.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:28 am

MormonChristian wrote:
No. There are more high scoring AA females than males for whatever reason, this is why there tend to be more AA females than males at every law school. Also, being female isn't an admissions boost.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 am

My female number twins are kicking ass this cycle.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 am

@OP: URM cycles tend to be unpredictable, but a URM with a 178 would have a shot at one of HYS.
MormonChristian wrote: You could be right.

But....

In my opinion, the difference in Yale's AA gender ratio can more likely be attributed to difference in the gender ratio of AA applicants. I wasn't able to find data for the number of applicants, but according to the number of test takers for 2009-2010, there were 9256 female AA test takers versus 5329 male AA test takers. Test takers AA male/female ratio = 5329/9256 = .576*. Yale's AA male/female ratio = 14/27 = .519.

*Caveat: Data may not be representative because data for test takers, and not applicants, is used, and AA males tend to do slightly better on the LSAT (Mean = 142.99, SD = 9.23) than AA females (Mean = 141.50, SD = 8.40).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Drake014 wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
You could be right.

But....

So Yale accepted more female AA students than male AA students because that's their preference.

Allow me to use the same logic to explain something else. Men who consistently sleep with ugly women just prefer ugly chicks.

Not exactly in good taste, but hilarious.

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:25 pm

KevinP wrote:@OP: URM cycles tend to be unpredictable, but a URM with a 178 would have a shot at one of HYS.
MormonChristian wrote: You could be right.

But....

In my opinion, the difference in Yale's AA gender ratio can more likely be attributed to difference in the gender ratio of AA applicants. I wasn't able to find data for the number of applicants, but according to the number of test takers for 2009-2010, there were 9256 female AA test takers versus 5329 male AA test takers. Test takers AA male/female ratio = 5329/9256 = .576*. Yale's AA male/female ratio = 14/27 = .519.

*Caveat: Data may not be representative because data for test takers, and not applicants, is used, and AA males tend to do slightly better on the LSAT (Mean = 142.99, SD = 9.23) than AA females (Mean = 141.50, SD = 8.40).

KevinP, where did you find these numbers?

RainyDayPlay

New

Post by RainyDayPlay » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:48 pm

You can find LSAT score breakdowns by race, geographic placement, and sex at the link below

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Resea ... -10-03.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”