A friend of mine has a criminal record...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
asoularisen

A friend of mine has a criminal record...

Postby asoularisen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:43 am

He is on the older side (almost 30) and fucked up when he was 18, did a few years in the penn. He's got a 4.0 and a 180. He runs two fairly sophisticated businesses and can get amazing rec letters/write a killer personal statement. What should he expect/what should I advise him to do?

MrKappus

Re: A friend of mine has a criminal record...

Postby MrKappus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 am

asoularisen wrote:He's got a 4.0 and a 180.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:46 am

MrKappus wrote:
asoularisen wrote:He's got a 4.0 and a 180.

Yeah, he's incredibly intelligent, but was a very dumb kid.

And he did get one A-, so I guess a 3.9x would be more accurate.

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:51 am

I think he'll be fine. I mean, Tulane took a convicted murderer and even gave him a scholarship.... lol yea but unless he did something crazy, i'm sure he'll be fine with those numbers.

asoularisen

Postby asoularisen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 am

lats19nys wrote:I think he'll be fine. I mean, Tulane took a convicted murderer and even gave him a scholarship.... lol yea but unless he did something crazy, i'm sure he'll be fine with those numbers.

I don't want to divulge too many details, just because it's his life and all, but I believe robbery of some kind got him under house arrest and violating that landed him in prison for a good few years.

He's looking at the top law schools though (HYS), and I want to know whether I need to advise him to aim lower, or if his scores will give him even a slight chance.

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 am

asoularisen wrote:
lats19nys wrote:I think he'll be fine. I mean, Tulane took a convicted murderer and even gave him a scholarship.... lol yea but unless he did something crazy, i'm sure he'll be fine with those numbers.

I don't want to divulge too many details, just because it's his life and all, but I believe robbery of some kind got him under house arrest and violating that landed him in prison for a good few years.

He's looking at the top law schools though (HYS), and I want to know whether I need to advise him to aim lower, or if his scores will give him even a slight chance.

look. of course it's going to hurt but with those numbers i would still give it a shot. i mean, as long as he understands that he's not the lock he would have been, i think it can't hurt to apply. i know berkeley has taken at least one gangbanger before so...elite schools have taken chances before.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:59 am

Tell him not to quit his day jerb to go to LS ITE.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:32 pm

lats19nys wrote:look. of course it's going to hurt but with those numbers i would still give it a shot. i mean, as long as he understands that he's not the lock he would have been, i think it can't hurt to apply. i know berkeley has taken at least one gangbanger before so...elite schools have taken chances before.

Um what? Source please.

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Just tell him to blanket the top 14 or so. HYS might not bite (certainly possible though) but he should get into, at least, several of the T-14. Of course the way in which his criminal record is presented is crucial, and his resume, recs will take on added weight.

Sounds like an impressive guy; maintaining a 4.0 is difficult enough while not moonlighting as a stick up kid.

bmore

Postby bmore » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Why would you tell him not to apply to HYS? He should apply there AND lower.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Tulane has a student that killed a guy. With a 4.0 and a 180 I'm sure at least one of the T6 will take a guy who robbed somebody a decade ago.

FratLaw

Postby FratLaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Just tell him to blanket the top 14 or so. HYS might not bite (certainly possible though) but he should get into, at least, several of the T-14. Of course the way in which his criminal record is presented is crucial, and his resume, recs will take on added weight.

Sounds like an impressive guy; maintaining a 4.0 is difficult enough while not moonlighting as a stick up kid.

This!

Bodhi_mind

Postby Bodhi_mind » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

4.0/180? This sounds flaming. He should just stick to running his two successful business and robbing people

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:33 pm

He used to rob people and now he wants to sign up to be robbed by lawl skools?

lats19nys

Postby lats19nys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:42 pm

curiouscat wrote:
lats19nys wrote:look. of course it's going to hurt but with those numbers i would still give it a shot. i mean, as long as he understands that he's not the lock he would have been, i think it can't hurt to apply. i know berkeley has taken at least one gangbanger before so...elite schools have taken chances before.

Um what? Source please.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... sions.html
happy?
i mean, it's not nearly as bad as tulane taking a CONVICTED murderer. why you headed to berkeley? i'll be there for asw.

Return to “What are my chances?”