159/2.68 University of South Carolina?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Duramax80

159/2.68 University of South Carolina?

Postby Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Ive been to LSN, Law School Predictor, Hourumd (before it gave your computer the flu), and analyzed every admissions graph and post I could find.

Can anyone help me determine if I have a good shot at South Carolina, FSU, LSU, or Mercer? My numbers are unique, and there are literally no applicants with stats like mine. Anyone have experience with these schools?

Not URM
Already graduated
Maxed out LSAT

law4vus

Re: 159/2.68 University of South Carolina?

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Curious - how do you know you maxed out your LSAT?

Duramax80

Postby Duramax80 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm

159 in October, decided to retake in Dec. I was prep testing at around 162, with a few 157s and a 167, but mostly 160-163s. Anyway, leaving the december LSAT I knew I totally screwed up. I guessed on every section, at least 4 questions per EACH section ( I never do that), not to mention the ass-raping RC component, plus the questions I simply answered incorrectly. I know I did not do better than my previous 159, and either I apply and go to law school in August of 2012, or my parents wont cover my tuition. So, Im basically stuck applying to a wide range of schools, with a 159 and 2.68. I really just want to go to South Carolina, Mercer, or FSU, but Im not exactly your most competitive candidate.

Any ideas on how my chances are?

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Duramax80 wrote:159 in October, decided to retake in Dec. I was prep testing at around 162, with a few 157s and a 167, but mostly 160-163s. Anyway, leaving the december LSAT I knew I totally screwed up. I guessed on every section, at least 4 questions per EACH section ( I never do that), not to mention the ass-raping RC component, plus the questions I simply answered incorrectly. I know I did not do better than my previous 159, and either I apply and go to law school in August of 2012, or my parents wont cover my tuition. So, Im basically stuck applying to a wide range of schools, with a 159 and 2.68. I really just want to go to South Carolina, Mercer, or FSU, but Im not exactly your most competitive candidate.

Any ideas on how my chances are?

I honestly think you need to explain to your parents about the legal market and how if they cover your tuition for a crappy school, they will basically be throwing it away on an arbitrary deadline. Law schools and legal employers like work experience (so taking a year off would work in your favor when trying to find a job) and they like candidates with high LSAT scores. Given the poor GPA, a 159 just isn't going to cut it for a competitive law school. Your parents need to be able to understand that all law schools are not created equal, there's only VERY few that are worth going for at full cost, and your grades+LSAT score won't get you into one of them. You need to retake the LSAT or don't go to law school. I know it sucks to hear but that's just the nature of the beast right now. Figure out how to score higher. Get a tutor. Study longer. Do whatever you can because the small investment you put into the LSAT now will pay off later when finding a job.

Your chances aren't great for any of your choices. South Carolina, as you are way below the GPA median and only a point above the LSAT median. You're below both medians for FSU. You're 3 pts above the LSAT median for Mercer but again, well below the GPA median. Mercer isn't even worth considering in this economy, the Florida market is shit, and South Carolina's employment isn't good.

Look, I'm really not trying to be a dick or make you feel bad. I'm really looking out for your best interests. South Carolina is the BEST of the schools you want to go to and it has a SIXTY PERCENT EMPLOYMENT RATE. Sixty. And I'm not talking employment like a steady job. I'm talking working in the school's admissions office, making 15/hr doing shitlaw doc review, and even jobs that are "JD Preferred" and ones that are not full time. To boot, even that school is unlikely to take you! I don't think your parents will want you to go to such a poor school just because they don't want you to wait a year. It's not worth it to go to these schools and you really need to convince your parents to let you take a year off, get a much higher LSAT, and improve your quality of life down the line.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:51 am

If nothing else, go to Cooley for a year and kick ass. A pulse is the only real criteria. After the first year, transfer to a better school (T-1/2). Good luck.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

Eirhoff73 wrote:If nothing else, go to Cooley for a year and kick ass. A pulse is the only real criteria. After the first year, transfer to a better school (T-1/2). Good luck.

Please ignore this, OP. Transferring, even from Cooley, is far from a sure thing. You don't want to be stuck at Cooley.

Take the LSAT again, even if it means another year off. Find a way to convince your parents.

Eirhoff73

Postby Eirhoff73 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm

law4vus wrote:
Eirhoff73 wrote:If nothing else, go to Cooley for a year and kick ass. A pulse is the only real criteria. After the first year, transfer to a better school (T-1/2). Good luck.

Please ignore this, OP. Transferring, even from Cooley, is far from a sure thing. You don't want to be stuck at Cooley.

Take the LSAT again, even if it means another year off. Find a way to convince your parents.

I have a friend that made it out alive (on to ASU).

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Eirhoff73 wrote:
law4vus wrote:

I have a friend that made it out alive (on to ASU).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it isn't something you can COUNT on. That's all. He'd be better served just taking a year off than trying to get transferred out of Cooley. Even law school at Cooley is harder than taking the LSAT again.

Return to “What are my chances?”