Where should I apply with a 2.8, 164 LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Re: Where should I apply with a 2.8, 164 LSAT

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 am

Eirhoff73 wrote:Have you considered a master degree program to boost the GPA. May I suggest basket weaving? All jokes aside, it could boost you GPA.

No, it won't, no one cares about Masters

ihhwap1

Postby ihhwap1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by ihhwap1 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Yes, yes, yes OP. We all understand your life was hard and I don't think anyone is pitying or making fun of you.

However, in the end, a lot of us have gone through the LS admissions process and we know how it works. Whatever your story, whatever struggles you had, whatever justifications you have for poor grades barely matter for shit in LS admissions. The USNews rankings pervade every facet of the admissions process and that's why law schools place 99% of their emphasis on LSAT and GPA. Why would they take you with a 2.8 and 164 when they have plenty of 3.9, 164 applicants? In in ideal world, LS adcoms would take your story into more account, but there are no asterisks in the USNews survey stating they took foster children or a guy in econ honors society.

When you boil it down, you are: a non-URM applicant with a 2.8 and a 164. Those numbers will not get you into a school worth going to in this economy, bottom line, even if you managed to cure cancer or get a gold medal in the olympics. We are trying to HELP you not make a bad decision, and going to a school that will admit you with those numbers at full price is a bad decision.

If you're going to cry when people criticize you, then don't post on this board asking for advice. Here's the thing about advice - sometimes it's NOT what you want to hear. If you want to sit and idealize law school and think you'll come out smelling like roses when you graduate from a T2 shithole, be my guest. But don't cry when people tell you that you may not be correct.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:33 pm

law4vus wrote:If not URM, then you should apply to your nearest testing center for a retake!

Oh snap.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
law4vus wrote:If not URM, then you should apply to your nearest testing center for a retake!

Oh snap.

You're late to the party, Mr. Pancakes.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:41 pm

OP, don't ask for advice then insult the people who are giving it. I'm sorry doing a little bit of philanthropy with a fraternity makes you feels if you've single-handedly served the entire world. Those of us who have actually dedicated major portions of our lives to community service should really just bow down to you. Oh, and your major was hard? Tough cookies. Mine was too. I don't have a 2.8. Stop looking for something to blame or someone to lash out at, and take a little responsibility.

All these people who you have now turned against you are all trying to tell you the one thing you can't get away from: what you have now will not get you into a good law school. Getting snippy and acting childish won't change that. Retaking the LSAT will.

sgoingIP

Postby sgoingIP » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:08 pm

You sound like a real people person.

I started at a mid TT (transfer) and had lower numbers than you on both fronts. Based on conversations at my first school, the 164 is going to get you some money at lower TT schools, probably less than 20K a year if your lucky. If you look at US news, you will probably have a chance at most of the schools above 60ish area, but apply really broadly as I ended up at a school outside of my target area.

The big problem is that you then need to be top 5% (really hard) or special (think peace core special with a noble peace price in economics) to have a real chance at big law to pay back the remaining 120K - 150K you are going to owe. If you want to do government work or some local spot in a secondary market, the TT is an option if they have that loan forgiveness program.

If you want to apply to the T50, retake the test. If want a T14, go buy them a building, retake the test, and pray.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 pm

ato308 wrote:Some people on this site are ignorant.

Firstly, yes fraternities party, but a large part of what we do is community service; such as, Bocche Bash ( national special olympics event), Tree fest( decorating and delivering Christmas trees to the needy.), Relay for life ( raised 5,000 for cancer.), Grab cancer by the horns ( raised 10,000 for cancer). Along with helping with the flood that accrued this year, and that was all fall semester.

What have you ever done to help anyone?

Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your outdated a year after you graduate, along with this its a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.

And no I'm not a URM, and even if I was I would never use it to my advantage. Graduating college as a former foster child of 12 years would qualify me as being more a URM then a real URM (a.k.a Black or Hispanic). My life situation was hard, but I never expect anyone to pity me or give me handouts, you're a product of yourself and I don't blame anyone for what I've become.

For someone who looks down on liberal arts, you must've done TERRIBLY in all those intro courses if your econ gpa is a 3.7 but your actual gpa is a 2.8.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Alright. Let's end this.

/thread

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:16 pm

lolololololololol. If you want to be an elitist pick trying having some actual prestigous credentials first.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:lolololololololol. If you want to be an elitist pick trying having some actual prestigous credentials first.

But haven't you heard? He's in an economic honors society. It's a rull big deal.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:20 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Alright. Let's end this.

/thread

Tlsp, what have you ever done to end a thread? I bet you don't even have an economics degree.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:21 pm

ato308 wrote:Some people on this site are ignorant.

Firstly, yes fraternities party, but a large part of what we do is community service; such as, Bocche Bash ( national special olympics event), Tree fest( decorating and delivering Christmas trees to the needy.), Relay for life ( raised 5,000 for cancer.), Grab cancer by the horns ( raised 10,000 for cancer). Along with helping with the flood that accrued this year, and that was all fall semester.

What have you ever done to help anyone?

Secondly, I'm in a economics honor society. I have a 3.7 major GPA ( economics). In this major I do a lot of Calculus and Econometric's. Sorry i didn't take communications ( have fun explaining to your employer that your analytically inclined), History ( It's different in every culture, along with this, you could have saved your parents 100k and went to the local library.), Political Science ( your outdated a year after you graduate, along with this its a joke science, see comment on communications.) Unlucky for me is that my school is an AACSB accredited business institution, which means accounting is extremely hard and I didn't do so well in it.

And no I'm not a URM, and even if I was I would never use it to my advantage. Graduating college as a former foster child of 12 years would qualify me as being more a URM then a real URM (a.k.a Black or Hispanic). My life situation was hard, but I never expect anyone to pity me or give me handouts, you're a product of yourself and I don't blame anyone for what I've become.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

/thread

Tlsp, what have you ever done to end a thread? I bet you don't even have an economics degree.

Damn. You're right, Scarlet. I have no economics degree . . .

I do, however, have T14 acceptances. BECAUSE I RETOOK MY LSAT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*virtual high-five*

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:25 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

/thread

I do, however, have T14 acceptances. BECAUSE I RETOOK MY LSAT :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*virtual high-five*

Yeah, but I bet you never had to do tricky multiple choice problems using MATH. :D

t14 secure fist bump

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:27 pm

I do, however, have T14 acceptances.
--ImageRemoved--

FTFY

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Flips88 wrote:

I do, however, have T14 acceptances.
[img]PureAwesomeness

I LOL'd. Thanks Flips.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:45 pm

I think it's clear why his real parents didn't love him.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:04 pm

ato308 wrote:

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:06 pm

law4vus wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

Oh snap.

You're late to the party, Mr. Pancakes.

rats.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think it's clear why his real parents didn't love him.

Over the line (mark it zero, dude). Can't we just stick to calling him a douche?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Wow did this thread deliver.

Also, I love it when someone shits on the liberal arts but then can't come up with a good argument.

OP, TLS is telling you to retake for a good reason. Your current numbers simply won't get you into a program with enough money to make it worthwhile. Retake- you will thank yourself later when you're not shackled with tons of debt.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:

Over the line (mark it zero, dude). Can't we just stick to calling him a douche?

:roll:

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:33 pm

I remember posting some sound advice itt. WTF HAPPENED. just because you perceive op to be a dbag doesnt mean we should....ah Fuck it.

minnbills wrote:Image

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:23 pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown wrote:

Hey, I have a face only a mother can love, this dood has one that even his mother didn't.

Return to “What are my chances?”