Are GPAs really looked on equally between schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
indo

Re: Are GPAs really looked on equally between schools?

Postby indo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:12 am

lats19nys wrote:And yes, i totally agree by the way. There are way too many dumb athletes (i wish they were at least athletic) and URM at ivies. I mean ivies average 11-13 percent in athletes alone. But that's not exactly 50 percent. And frankly, prob 1/3 to 1/4 of the athletes are actually genuinely smart and gifted people and so are many of the URM. So i'm glad you automatically associate being an athlete and URM with being stupid. I'm glad there are people like you in the world.

I have been getting straight A from elementary to now a senior in college. I am not only camparing myself to Athleles and URM alone.
I am comparing with all the Ivies students. I am being modest by saying i am better than 50 % of all Ivies students.
I am a Regent Scholar in one of University of California and National AP Scholar ( 10 AP )
Last edited by indo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:19 am

lats19nys wrote:How about you limit that study to "elite schools". If you're doing that with all public/private debate, that's clearly different given the high number of private schools. It seems silly to me that you're comparing basically all public/private schools and using that data to talk about a small group of institutions that are quite unique even in their own subset. Silly if you ask me.

The difference in GPA versus comparable student talent holds even when comparing the specific subset of elite public/private institutions.

However, that wasn't my point. I was arguing against this statement you made:
lats19nys wrote:No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools.

indo

Postby indo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:21 am

KevinP wrote:
lats19nys wrote:How about you limit that study to "elite schools". If you're doing that with all public/private debate, that's clearly different given the high number of private schools. It seems silly to me that you're comparing basically all public/private schools and using that data to talk about a small group of institutions that are quite unique even in their own subset. Silly if you ask me.

The difference in GPA versus comparable student talent hold even when comparing the specific subset of elite public/private institutions.

However, that wasn't my point. I was arguing against this statement you made:
lats19nys wrote:No fool, studies have not shown that grade inflation is more prevalent at private schools.

+ 1.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 am

I'm sorry we can't help you justify spending an egregious amount of money on your undergraduate degree in some useless field. I'm genuinely sad that you're going to end up two decent houses in debt before you ever graduate to the "real world" when you could have gone one of them public school with all those regular folk (who, generally on average aren't nearly as smart or pretty).

Also, I can't wait to beat people like you on the curve during 1L.
<3

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:37 am

Guys, play nice. lats19nys, not sure where all these angry personal attacks are coming from. Applying_Late & co were just trying to make some points, and it's not like you two are even disagreeing about anything important. Relax, dude.

Wondering about this part here, by the way:
lats19nys wrote:There are way too many dumb athletes (i wish they were at least athletic) and URM at ivies.

The "too many URMs at Ivies" bit was strange. Not sure if this is really what you meant to say...?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:49 am

outsidethescope wrote:I'm sorry we can't help you justify spending an egregious amount of money on your undergraduate degree in some useless field. I'm genuinely sad that you're going to end up two decent houses in debt before you ever graduate to the "real world" when you could have gone one of them public school with all those regular folk (who, generally on average aren't nearly as smart or pretty).

Also, I can't wait to beat people like you on the curve during 1L.
<3

Wow, GTFO!

This person obvs didn't just take 1L exams.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 am

This lats19nys character is pure TLS gold.

lats19nys wrote: I completely agree, your reading skills, clearly illustrates that there are clearly many ivy league students who aren't very bright as well. Good point. What a douchebag.

lats19nys wrote:Like I said generally, on average, the ivies have smarter kids. Jeez. Please read carefully. It's a skill that will help on the LSATs.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:25 am

lats19nys wrote:Again, can you guys read? Like I said generally, on average, the ivies have smarter kids. Jeez. Please read carefully. It's a skill that will help on the LSATs.

You seem like a huge douchebag.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:35 pm

indo wrote:
lats19nys wrote:And yes, i totally agree by the way. There are way too many dumb athletes (i wish they were at least athletic) and URM at ivies. I mean ivies average 11-13 percent in athletes alone. But that's not exactly 50 percent. And frankly, prob 1/3 to 1/4 of the athletes are actually genuinely smart and gifted people and so are many of the URM. So i'm glad you automatically associate being an athlete and URM with being stupid. I'm glad there are people like you in the world.

I have been getting straight A from elementary to now a senior in college. I am not only camparing myself to Athleles and URM alone.
I am comparing with all the Ivies students. I am being modest by saying i am better than 50 % of all Ivies students.
I am a Regent Scholar in one of University of California and National AP Scholar ( 10 AP )

O WAT A SCHOLAR

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:13 pm

GPA really is not a reliable indicator of a person's intelligence or abilities.

I know a guy who has gotten close to straight A's from birth to present day (graduate school) and I swear, if you met this guy, you would think he is dumber than a rock. Recently, to prove this, I asked him what is 5 + 7 and he proudly said 13, I kid you not. So how does this guy get straight A's? He does homework and studies all day every day since we were in 7th grade. He has no social life to speak of, no hobbies, nothing. It might take him an hour to do something that you or I could finish in five minutes, but he has the time, so it works out.

tl;dr: You don't necessarily have to be smart to get good grades, you could just be incredibly boring. This is why the LSAT is valuable: it filters out people who can't think under pressure.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Lol so tired of this debate where so many posters have so much of their ego tied into it.

It's stupid to break this down into public vs. private.
There's a big difference between a school like UC-Berkeley and NobodyHasEverHeardOfItButItCosts50,000AYearPrivate University. There's also a big difference between Yale and UState-Tertiary Branch. Even in the same university, there's a huge divide between MajorDesignedSoDumb/LazyKidsWillGraduate and Engineering/CS/LOLEveryonegetsaCinthisClass!Majors.

You have your GPA. The admissions office might care, might bump, might whatever lightly based on whatever perceptions they have of your undergrad and major. But only slightly. So your best shot is to go out there and get that top LSAT score. Even if they are going to bump, they probably will only do so if there's some corroboration from your LSAT. The admissions office will probably be more forgiving of your slightly lower GPA from an Ivy when it's matched with a 170+ LSAT than it would've from your state's flagship(depending on which state you're from), but it's a moot point if you have a 165.
If you really are as intelligent as you're trying to claim that your undergrad/major/whatever is theoretically supposed to prove, then prove it again with the only standardized measure there is. You might argue that the LSAT isn't a reliable indicator, but I'd argue that where you went to undergrad and the GPA you got there doesn't say much either.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:43 pm

crazi4law wrote:Do Adcoms really treat a 3.9 from ASU as roughly the same as a 3.9 from Cornell? Because I know kids from state schools and it is so unbelievably easy to get good grades there. It just seems unfair to applicants from tough schools.

Get over yourself. No one cares that you go to a Top 8 business program. You sound like a douche and I would hate to have you as a classmate.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 pm

"I am not impressed by the Ivy League establishments. Of course they graduate the best -- it's all they'll take, leaving to others the problem of educating the country. They will give you an education the way the banks will give you money -- provided you can prove to their satisfaction that you don't need it."

-Peter de Vries

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:20 pm

Usually flagship state schools grade fairly hard. And a lot of their students are ivy caliber. Not all, but probably 1/4 of the class. Not to mention, high school GPA and SAT aren't extremely good predictors of college success anyway.

Professors at state schools don't give a lot of A's because nobody is pushing for grade inflation. Student tuition isn't very high so nobody is complaining about spending 150K and their kids are getting C's.

A 3.3 at an Ivy is probably harder than a 3.3 at a state school, but neither one is anything to brag about.

A 2.8 at an state school is probably harder than a 2.8 at a Ivy because you gotta try to get a C at an Ivy.

A 3.9 they are probably pretty equal unless you are talking about subjects that curve strictly. And if there is a curve either one could be harder. A 3.9 at Illinois engineering is a fuck load harder than Harvard PoliSci. But a 3.9 at Penn Chem E is a fuck load harder than Illinois polisci.

Even at really shitty state schools a 3.9 shows you succeed. Your LSAT will show if your general aptitude.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Usually flagship state schools grade fairly hard. And a lot of their students are ivy caliber. Not all, but probably 1/4 of the class. Not to mention, high school GPA and SAT aren't extremely good predictors of college success anyway.

Professors at state schools don't give a lot of A's because nobody is pushing for grade inflation. Student tuition isn't very high so nobody is complaining about spending 150K and their kids are getting C's.

A 3.3 at an Ivy is probably harder than a 3.3 at a state school, but neither one is anything to brag about.

A 2.8 at an state school is probably harder than a 2.8 at a Ivy because you gotta try to get a C at an Ivy.

A 3.9 they are probably pretty equal unless you are talking about subjects that curve strictly. And if there is a curve either one could be harder. A 3.9 at Illinois engineering is a fuck load harder than Harvard PoliSci. But a 3.9 at Penn Chem E is a fuck load harder than Illinois polisci.

Even at really shitty state schools a 3.9 shows you succeed. Your LSAT will show if your general aptitude.

I'd generally agree with this assessment, with maybe some disagreement at the margins that aren't worth going into.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:41 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I'd generally agree with this assessment, with maybe some disagreement at the margins that aren't worth going into.

I also agree with your distinction between state schools and really shitty tertiary state schools. Illinois has schools were abject morons get in. They still don't out easy A's but damn, you are competing with idiots.

Return to “What are my chances?”