Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rune2020
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby rune2020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:55 am

First time poster, casual lurker. Apologies if this post has landed in the wrong index.

Having been fully committed to applying for and starting in September 2012, I'm reconsidering and thinking another year might radically improve my chances of being admitted to (and getting money from) a 'decent' school, e.g. Texas, W&M, BU or BC.

I took the October LSAT with minimal preparation and scored a (disappointing) 160. My December retake results are as yet unknown* but the RC was a killer and I'm expecting something less than my post-October diagnostics average of 171. I've slogged my way, nontraditionally, to a bachelor's from an Ivy League school. My LSDAS GPA is 3.52 with a noticeably upward trend.

(* I can appreciate the fact that I should wait until they're released to make a well-informed argument for or against delaying.)

Why wait? I'll be a stronger candidate. My GPA will climb (marginally). I could retake the LSAT (third stab) in October 2012 and -- with only my full-time job to distract me from preparations -- am confident that I could rock a 170+. I'll have a few more notable feathers (i.e. 'softs') to stick in my cap -- including a somewhat prestigious Naval War College internship -- and should have stronger recommendations.

Moreover, all the discussion in the forum (and elsewhere) has promoted the understanding that one puts himself (or herself) at a significant disadvantage -- both for admissions prospects and the likelihood of big scholarship money -- by applying late in the cycle. In the 2013 model, I'd have everything ready to go by the first few days of November '12.

On the flip side, I'm already (slightly) older than your average 1L and feel a certain guilt for not advancing my life in its chosen direction with all deliberate speed.

I know the prevailing wisdom is to keep both options open. Apply now and evaluate. If the offer isn't right; wait. But I need some outside commentary to hone my thinking.

Friends, your thoughts?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:58 am

Retake if you are seeking money since your first attempt at the LSAT involved scant preparation.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby emkay625 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Apply to 3-4 of your dream schools this cycle and see what happens. Plan on a June retake regardless and begin studying in Feb. for it. If you don't like your results this cycle, reapply the very day apps open in September.

rune2020
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby rune2020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:13 pm

emkay625 wrote:Plan on a June retake regardless and begin studying in Feb. for it. If you don't like your results this cycle, reapply the very day apps open in September.


Thanks for the thoughtful advice, emkay625. Let me run this by you:

The scant preparation that went into the October test -- and, regrettably, the December test -- was not for lack of caring. With a full-time job, four classes per semester and a few time-consuming volunteer activities, there wasn't much left in the tank for LSAT prep. I can expect the same situation for the months leading up to the June administration. The summer, however, is (relatively) mine.

What sort of hit would my chances take -- compared to a September submission -- if I took the test in October and submitted completed apps the moment those scores were available?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby emkay625 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 pm

rune2020 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Plan on a June retake regardless and begin studying in Feb. for it. If you don't like your results this cycle, reapply the very day apps open in September.


Thanks for the thoughtful advice, emkay625. Let me run this by you:

The scant preparation that went into the October test -- and, regrettably, the December test -- was not for lack of caring. With a full-time job, four classes per semester and a few time-consuming volunteer activities, there wasn't much left in the tank for LSAT prep. I can expect the same situation for the months leading up to the June administration. The summer, however, is (relatively) mine.

What sort of hit would my chances take -- compared to a September submission -- if I took the test in October and submitted completed apps the moment those scores were available?


There is a slight advantage by applying in september, but if you apply the day scores get out for the october test you will not be late by any means.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby MrAnon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:49 pm

rune2020 wrote:First time poster, casual lurker. Apologies if this post has landed in the wrong index.

Having been fully committed to applying for and starting in September 2012, I'm reconsidering and thinking another year might radically improve my chances of being admitted to (and getting money from) a 'decent' school, e.g. Texas, W&M, BU or BC.

I took the October LSAT with minimal preparation and scored a (disappointing) 160. My December retake results are as yet unknown* but the RC was a killer and I'm expecting something less than my post-October diagnostics average of 171. I've slogged my way, nontraditionally, to a bachelor's from an Ivy League school. My LSDAS GPA is 3.52 with a noticeably upward trend.

(* I can appreciate the fact that I should wait until they're released to make a well-informed argument for or against delaying.)

Why wait? I'll be a stronger candidate. My GPA will climb (marginally). I could retake the LSAT (third stab) in October 2012 and -- with only my full-time job to distract me from preparations -- am confident that I could rock a 170+. I'll have a few more notable feathers (i.e. 'softs') to stick in my cap -- including a somewhat prestigious Naval War College internship -- and should have stronger recommendations.

Moreover, all the discussion in the forum (and elsewhere) has promoted the understanding that one puts himself (or herself) at a significant disadvantage -- both for admissions prospects and the likelihood of big scholarship money -- by applying late in the cycle. In the 2013 model, I'd have everything ready to go by the first few days of November '12.

On the flip side, I'm already (slightly) older than your average 1L and feel a certain guilt for not advancing my life in its chosen direction with all deliberate speed.

I know the prevailing wisdom is to keep both options open. Apply now and evaluate. If the offer isn't right; wait. But I need some outside commentary to hone my thinking.

Friends, your thoughts?


Just go to school now. You can find reasons to delay doing anything, there are always certain advantages to doing so. But if you your eventual plan is to go, why keep putting it off? Around your second year in school you will feel really silly for having delayed. Imagine if you had postponed college by a year. Where would that have left you? How would you feel looking back on it? Kind of dumb, right? Your admissions stats are not going to change much, they are what they are, you have to live with them. Recommendations do not matter at all so strike that reason.

rune2020
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby rune2020 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:03 pm

MrAnon wrote:But if you your eventual plan is to go, why keep putting it off? Around your second year in school you will feel really silly for having delayed.


Or I could find myself having settled for wherever I might wind up for September 2012, sans scholarship. By the second year I could 'feel really silly' for attending a (potentially) inferior law school and for paying the sticker price.

MrAnon wrote:Imagine if you had postponed college by a year. Where would that have left you? How would you feel looking back on it? Kind of dumb, right?


I postponed the start of my undergraduate studies for more than a year. Where did it leave me? Older that the average 1L. How do I feel looking back on it? Dumb? No, not dumb. There are regrets, though, and a desire to avoidance repeating those regrets with law school informs and encourages your suggested 'go now' approach.

MrAnon wrote:Your admissions stats are not going to change much, they are what they are, you have to live with them.


Not exactly. As we all (or most of us, anyway) know, the difference between a 160 and a 170 is enormous. Whereas I believe myself capable of the latter score (or better, on a good day and with the right exam), I've got to dismiss that bit of thinking.

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: Better to wait for September 2013? (160, 3.52)

Postby fosterp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:27 pm

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, you just want us to confirm your instincts.

I would say you have obviously weighed the pros and cons of your possible choices so you aren't just making a blind choice without all information. If you feel like you have made all considerations, then do whatever it is you are going to feel the best about (and right now it seems you are leaning towards delaying).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests