3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HaitianChoctaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby HaitianChoctaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing this site for a couple years now and it has greatly assisted me in my preparation for law school. Now that I know my scores, I would like to know how I stand in the next application cycle (2012-2013). I am hoping that applying early will give me a slight advantage as all of my applications will be in before October 31st, 2012. If some of you could offer advice or suggestions as to what my chances are after glancing at my stats and schools that I am considering applying to, I would be extremely grateful.

Top 50 University (Mid-ranked UC)
California Resident
URM - African American and Native American (however, I have not registered with a tribe)
LSDAS GPA: 3.15 (3.35 school GPA)
LSAT: 168, 172

Division I athlete for two years
Law-related research for a year (will be two years by the time I apply)
Part-time work here and there
Soup kitchen volunteer
May possibly be volunteering on NA reservations next summer and fall


Schools on my list:
1. UCLA
2. USC
3. UC Irvine
4. UC Davis
5. University of Michigan
6. LMU
7. Pepperdine
8. Northwestern
9. U of Chicago
10. U of Pennsylvania
11. UC Berkeley
12. Columbia
13. NYU
14. Cornell
15. Fordham
16. Georgetown

I am trying to cut my list down to 10 schools (12 the absolute highest) as I don't anticipate receiving fee waivers, so I may eliminate NY schools. I lived in Southern California my entire life and would like to practice here (even though the legal market is crummy right now). I do have some family in Michigan, which is why I am open to UM and Chicago-area schools, but want to come back to California after my law education. I am worried about Top14, UC and USC acceptances because my GPA is very low (which I may explain in an addendum - illness & surgery), but I averaged a 3.83 my last 5 quarters of undergrad. Please help me out! I would greatly appreciate any advice.

User avatar
ConfidenceMan2
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 am

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Your softs are decent but not game-changing. Write a solid PS that perhaps sheds light on the illness/surgery and furthers the idea that you're an exceptionally bright and unique candidate with some special experiences.

Your GPA seems a bit low for HYS, but it's well worth all 3 apps. I'd think outside of that you'll get accepted to most of the T14, a few places with serious $$$.

It's hard to predict your cycle - URM splitter is, according to TLS dogma, the most difficult cycle to predict. Try all of the T14; even without URM status your numbers would get you into a few. With the URM status I can't imagine you being shut out of more than a couple. Good luck!

ETA: Also, you'll almost certainly receive at least a few fee waivers. If you drop any schools off your list, make it any California schools besides Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA and USC. In other words, only apply to the T14 and, if you really want, UCLA/USC. Even if you have no intent of going to, say, Columbia, it could turn out to be well worth the app if you get accepted with $$$ (which you might) and can use that to convince, say, Berkeley to give you a full ride. Again, it's hard to predict your cycle, but I think you're aiming too low. HYS are, in my opinion, the only real unknowns here. Other splitter URMs may have more helpful advice there.
Last edited by ConfidenceMan2 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm

HaitianChoctaw wrote:1. UCLA
2. USC
3. UC Irvine
4. UC Davis

5. University of Michigan
6. LMU
7. Pepperdine

8. Northwestern
9. U of Chicago
10. U of Pennsylvania
11. UC Berkeley
12. Columbia
13. NYU
14. Cornell
15. Fordham
16. Georgetown


HYS is worth a shot.


Your cycle might be really unpredicatble based on the urm-ness and gpa/LSAT. I'm confused about Fordham being on your list considering where you want to practice. You're probably going to get fee waivers from a couple of places based on the LSAT score. I'd add a couple of back-ups/semi-reaches just to calm your nerves.

Also, have you already graduated?

HaitianChoctaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby HaitianChoctaw » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Thank you very much for your help ConfidenceMan2 and Blessedassurance. I have graduated, so unfortunately I am stuck with that GPA. Since it seems like I am aiming too low, I'm wondering if I should apply to UC Irvine as a safety? My parents live 20 minutes from the campus, so I could save a ton of money if I lived with them (if I don't get into any of the other listed schools). Also, I read somewhere that URMs should not apply early decision since the cycles are unpredictable. Is this true, or should I ED to Michigan or other Top14 schools?

Here's my revised list:
1. Michigan
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. Cornell
7. Berkeley
8. USC
9. UCLA
10. Georgetown
11. UC Irvine

If I am granted fee waivers to any other T20 schools, I'll definitely apply. However, I'm slightly concerned that I don't have enough safeties. With such a low GPA, it seems like I have a lot of reaches. I would hate to be shut out of law school entirely, or I am just worrying too much? I checked lawschoolnumbers.com and there aren't that many URM splitters.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Was the 172 from October?

HaitianChoctaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby HaitianChoctaw » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Yes it was from October. What are my chances of scholarship money at USC, UCLA, Loyola and UCI?

User avatar
Bodhi_mind
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby Bodhi_mind » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20 pm

I would apply to all of the T14. There is a chance you get in, so that's worth the application fee. You should get some fee waivers too. Good luck!

User avatar
FratLaw
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby FratLaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Bodhi_mind wrote:I would apply to all of the T14. There is a chance you get in, so that's worth the application fee. You should get some fee waivers too. Good luck!


This!

I have fraternity brother with very similar numbers: 3.2/170/URM. He's enjoying Duke!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:29 pm

HaitianChoctaw wrote:Thank you very much for your help ConfidenceMan2 and Blessedassurance. I have graduated, so unfortunately I am stuck with that GPA. Since it seems like I am aiming too low, I'm wondering if I should apply to UC Irvine as a safety? My parents live 20 minutes from the campus, so I could save a ton of money if I lived with them (if I don't get into any of the other listed schools). Also, I read somewhere that URMs should not apply early decision since the cycles are unpredictable. Is this true, or should I ED to Michigan or other Top14 schools?

Here's my revised list:
1. Michigan
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. Cornell
7. Berkeley
8. USC
9. UCLA
10. Georgetown
11. UC Irvine

If I am granted fee waivers to any other T20 schools, I'll definitely apply. However, I'm slightly concerned that I don't have enough safeties. With such a low GPA, it seems like I have a lot of reaches. I would hate to be shut out of law school entirely, or I am just worrying too much? I checked lawschoolnumbers.com and there aren't that many URM splitters.

You could, but with 172 Cornell's a better safety. I'm an AA male w/ 3.21/166. I'm in at Michigan and NU so far. If you're applying this cycle, your biggest issue is the late application. You have a much better shot if you get your apps in b4 Thanksgiving. Good luck!

User avatar
FratLaw
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby FratLaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Hey, my bro said he asked NYU, Columbia, and Cornell for fee waivers and they all gave him one. Good Luck!

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby JustE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 pm

FratLaw wrote:Hey, my bro said he asked NYU, Columbia, and Cornell for fee waivers and they all gave him one. Good Luck!


Credited. I believe I received 4 or 5 from T14s after sending a brief email request.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: 3.15 Female URM 168 (172)

Postby spiritniffler189 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:04 pm

I have similar stats to you (slightly higher GPA, your original LSAT score, AA female) and am in at 3 T14s so far (no rejections/waitlists yet). Just make sure to apply early -- I applied Oct 31st and wish I applied at the start of the cycle just so I could've heard back from schools earlier! I waited 30 days for my first acceptance and TLS made me impatient ;) Best of luck!




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests