162/3.7 Texas Schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Titleist

Re: 162/3.7 Texas Schools

Postby Titleist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:31 pm

HBK wrote:
Titleist wrote:To be honest I'm not considering either school. Both are safety schools that I plan on using as scholarship leverage.
It's basically going to come down to UH, Baylor and SMU.

Thoughts on Baylor at 30k a year compared to UH with possibly no scholarship or around 5-10k?

Hey, UH will negotiate. I got a great scholarship from SMU and nothing from UH. I called UH and told them "with the amount SMU is offering, it will be cheaper for me to go there than to go to UH." I got a scholarship offer via email about an hour later.

/in full disclosure, the offer was just enough to make them about even or a little cheaper than SMU. I chose SMU because it offered better opportunities and I didn't like the UH campus.

But SMU is higher ranked than UH, doesn't that play a role in the negotiation?

I have 30k from Baylor making it only around 12k per year. Will UH come close to matching a scholarship making it comparable to Baylor?

Obviously they will not give me 30k, their tuition is only 28k.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Don't go to law school in Texas unless you can go to UT, SMU or UofH.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 pm

How bad of an idea is SMU over UH w/ no scholarship?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't feel that SMU is worth full sticker, and UofH certainly isn't.

Baylor for free (and I mean even COL covered) might be worth it. Maybe. But even then, I'm not sure being utterly miserable for 3 years is still worth it.

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Titleist wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Titleist wrote:So basically if you are not in the ~10% at UH you will have the same job prospects as a Tech grad?

Horseshit.

Not according to Gump.

Too many conflicting opinions.

Where did I say that? I don't think that is true, but I would say that if the job they are applying for is in Houston or is biglaw, it would be about top 20-25% for uh student and would take top 10-15% for tech student. But outside Houston and biglaw, the prestige will matter less, and experience, decent rank, journal, etc will matter more

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
Besides biglaw, the numbers suggest there really isn't that much of a difference

b.gump81

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

"besides biglaw" =\= top 10%

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 am

b.gump81 wrote:If you don't really want biglaw, why would you consider spending an extra $75,000-100,000 ITE to attend smu or uh over Baylor or tech? I'm not trying to be rude or anything. Just curious

Baylor hate is irrational if you have a nice scholarship that you likely will not lose. I think BU gets a bad rap because 1. religion 2. TTT scholly stips.

1. was really never true-- BU is as religious or as non-religious as you want. (though Waco is lame, how much time are you really going to spend partying it up in LS)
2. apparently isn't true anymore? you tell me.

Tech is a good school too. If you can interview well and have median or better grades at either of these schools, especially BU, then you can find full time legal employment. If dood doesn't want big law and has cheap Tech/Baylor options, why all the hate?

Anecdotal time-- Family member graduated from Tech Law in the last few years, mediansih, 100k salary for a private firm in San Antonio. He/she can interview well though.

eaper

Postby eaper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:If you don't really want biglaw, why would you consider spending an extra $75,000-100,000 ITE to attend smu or uh over Baylor or tech? I'm not trying to be rude or anything. Just curious

Baylor hate is irrational if you have a nice scholarship that you likely will not lose. I think BU gets a bad rap because 1. religion 2. TTT scholly stips.

1. was really never true-- BU is as religious or as non-religious as you want. (though Waco is lame, how much time are you really going to spend partying it up in LS)
2. apparently isn't true anymore? you tell me.

Tech is a good school too. If you can interview well and have median or better grades at either of these schools, especially BU, then you can find full time legal employment. If dood doesn't want big law and has cheap Tech/Baylor options, why all the hate?

Anecdotal time-- Family member graduated from Tech Law in the last few years, mediansih, 100k salary for a private firm in San Antonio. He/she can interview well though.

No, the TTT stips (which I think they're getting rid of this year?) is only part of it and I don't think religion has too much to do with it. It gets a bad rap for being a terrible atmosphere in the law schools (I.E. the people ripping pages out of your books) and for a notoriously (and worthlessly) difficult 3L. Also, they lack a home market, so it's more difficult to get a job than SMU or U of H, which, after UT, dominate two large markets.

Also- U of H is reallllllly stingy about scholarships and negotiations from what current students are saying, so don't expect too much help from there.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Would I be successful with negotiating my 90k scholarship from Baylor to a full ride?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

If you have a school that's comparable to Baylor that would allow you to negotiate, just go to that school. I understand being debt-averse, but you can carry it too far.

Return to “What are my chances?”