Is applying to T-6 mid-December considered late? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Applying_Late

Bronze

Is applying to T-6 mid-December considered late?

Post by Applying_Late » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:13 am

Last edited by Applying_Late on Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness1547

Silver

Re: Is applying to T-6 mid-December considered late?

Post by guinness1547 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 am

Sounds like you have an impressive enough application where you'd be fine(and I feel like by strong letters of rec you mean people with connections to Harvard), but I'm certainly not expert. I just creep around tls a lot.

I do have to ask though, why a masters(from an ivy no less) and a law degree?

yalito

New

Post by yalito » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

First off, you're not really applying mid-December now. It'll be end of December before anyone gets round to processing your application.

With respect to Harvard, you're strong in one area and weak in another. These cancel themselves out somewhat, which makes you a median candidate before your softs and LORs are taken into account. As such a candidate, you would have a great chance if you applied early next cycle. So why not wait a year, find something worthwhile to do, and apply then? You'd also give yourself time to apply to Y and S, if you wanted.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:40 am

It probably won't hurt that much. It's going to be hard to get into Harvard w/ ur numbers anyways, but applying by now isn't late. For most schools, despite what people on here say, anything before Christmas isn't late in the sense that it will hurt you. For the most part, so long as you get your application in a few days before the December LSAT people do, you will be fine. There are some exceptions (notably, Chicago where a late application can mean a guaranteed waitlist, with some hope of acceptance if you show u want Chicago in the WL phase). There are also schools where a "late" app doesn't hurt you as much. Obviously Yale, but also NYU/CLS, who can't be as picky when it comes to people above H's 75%. If you apply right now, based on my guess of your numbers, here's how I see your chances.

Yale: who knows, but you have a chance and it isn't hurt by applying now
Harvard: decent, applying now might hurt you a little, but not too much (still your best shot of YHS)
Stanford: who knows, your GPA is probably going to hurt you there more than at H
Columbia: IN (probably with some money)
Chicago: WL (unless you get your app in immediately)
NYU: IN (probably with some money)

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am

Apply now, see what you get. If you don't like it, there's always next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 am

I'd go ahead and apply and if you don't get $$ at CCN or better, reapply next year on day one

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'd go ahead and apply and if you don't get $$ at CCN or better, reapply next year on day one
Applying late won't affect his chances for money at CLS/NYU. They don't process awards until they accept everyone for the regular cycle anyways. CLS requires you to get your forms in by March, but you can do that even if you haven't been accepted yet. He might be hurt at CLS because he could lose out on the Butler/Hamilton (which his numbers put him in contention for), but even still if he applies before the end of December he should be fine there since CLS doesn't admit RD people until the end of January and they prioritize auto-admits even if they applied late (I applied last year around January 7th with a far lower GPA and similar LSAT and got a VCE 3 weeks later, so he should be fine).

As mentioned in my previous post he is probably out of the running for the Rubenstein @ Chicago, but even if he applies so late as to be in the last batch, they gave money last cycle to people they took off the WL with worse numbers than OP...

YHS doesn't give merit money anyways, so reapplying won't help him there. Personally I would make sure to get an app out to every school but Y by Thursday at the latest. Spend some time on the 250 for Y (and PS) and apply there in January. If he gets everything else in by then he's pretty much guaranteed CLS/NYU and the only school that might be problematic because of the late submission is H since he was borderline there already (but I think that a late application probably isn't going to make a difference either way, if he doesn't get in this cycle, he probably won't get in next cycle either). S is probably not going to happen no matter what.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Last edited by Applying_Late on Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Applying_Late wrote:To clarify for all: I said that I've already applied. The only school to which I did not apply is Yale, as it seems a January application would not go against me. As for Yale, my 250 is done, my peraonal statement is done, my resume is done, but I have yet to write the half-resume they require. Nevertheless I am worried with my chances at H.

My master's degree is a natural transition into law. And for more info it is an HYP master's. All of my letters have some HY affiliation.

My GPA is slightly above 25% and my lsat is very much above 75%.

I just have difficulty understanding why my mid-december app to H will really go against me.... While I understand applying mid-december is not early, i dont know if it's truly late to the point of hurting me. Again im not coming straight from undergrad; so, a year off would not be an option. On top of that, i have a feeling that those with fellowships and graduate degrees in their belt might not be in the same ballpark as those who are in undergrad. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, i hope i have clarified things. Thanks again for helping out, and i look forward to more replies.
Oh you're fine then. If you don't get into H, it will be due to something other than the timing of your application...Essentially you have a pretty good shot if your LSAT is well above 75%. Typically, 177+ can get in so long as GPA is above 3.8 (perhaps even 3.75 and above), which yours would be I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”