Mediocre stats - some interesting other stuff Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
triggerfish

New

Mediocre stats - some interesting other stuff

Post by triggerfish » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 pm

I am hoping to gauge my current chances of admission. The schools I am considering are the upper Midwest state schools (MN, IA, and WI). While these schools aren’t the Ivy League, they still seem to have rather steep admission requirements.

Any input based on the below circumstances would be appreciated.

The good:
1) Master’s in Accounting GPA: 3.7
2) CPA/CFE
3) 2 years of semi unusual work experience – forensic auditor for the government (fraud stuff)

The OK:
1) LSAT score = 163
2) I can probably manage to write a better than average statement of purpose

The not so good:
1) A lousy 3.2 undergrad GPA (last two years averaged 3.5)
2) There is nothing special about me other than the above. I am male, white, and never volunteered.

I believe that I can improve the LSAT score. I plan on trying again, but I question by how much I can increase it; I would be surprised if I got anything above a 167.

I'm looking at Fall of 2013.

Thank you in advance for any input provided.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Mediocre stats - some interesting other stuff

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 pm

In at all three (Wisconsin, Iowa & Minnesota) but retake LSAT for scholarship money.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 pm

It doesn't seem like 163/3.2 is going to get you into Minnesota, but you should be okay at the other ones. Unfortunately, I think schools will focus on the 3.2 and treat the Masters as a decent soft. Retake, try to boost your score by 4 or 5 points, and you'll be in with the potential for scholarship money.

triggerfish

New

Post by triggerfish » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:33 am

Thank you for the replies.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:46 am

From a quick glance at lawschoolnumbers.com, I'm not as sure as the others that you'd be automatically in at any of the three. Quite possibly you'll be on some waitlists. I wouldn't be surprised if you were waitlisted at all three (but by all means study the data yourself, which would be more helpful than any assurances we could offer you).

You're clearly intelligent and competent - retaking, assuming you have the ability/flexibility to devote significant time to studying, could do wonders for you, both in terms of securing an otherwise iffy chance of admission at all 3 schools and also gaining some scholarship money. Your softs are good but, unfortunately, not stellar - in other words, they'll help you instead of hurt you if you're borderline, but they won't have the effect of making an adcomm overlook your numbers (as might happen if you were URM or if you prevented nuclear war).

You're quite right that these schools have stronger barriers to admission than most - that's because they're good schools that dominate the region you're looking at. You seem to be on the right track. Also, you may already be aware of this, but given your substantive work experience, Northwestern would gladly overlook your GPA if you mange to boost your LSAT to a 171+. Depending on your career goals this may or may not be something to consider. With enough studying I'm sure you can manage to climb to those heights, but it will probably take a lot of effort, motivation, and most of all, time.

triggerfish

New

Post by triggerfish » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Confidenceman. I took a look at lawschoolnumbers too before posting, and I wasn’t convinced of my chances beyond anything but questionable. I was hoping that I could “coast” on my softs to tip the odds a bit. You pretty much reiterated my fear that they may not be overly advantageous for me.

I’ve considered other schools, including Northwestern. I am really not that picky where I go so long as:
A) I end up with a decent amount of career prospects in the Twin Cities area (my home town and an all around great place).
B) I go to a reputable enough school where I end up with a starting salary that isn’t a pay cut from my current salary.

Based on the above, MN, WI, and IA seem like my best options. I will certainly expand upon those when the time comes; however, for now, I am trying to put myself in a position to best meet the above criteria.

Well…back to studying for the LSAT. Yippee! I’ve got time, motivation, and effort. It’ll pretty much just come down to improving time management on the test.

Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”