Any harm in retaking? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zanzbar

Bronze

Any harm in retaking?

Post by zanzbar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I figured it would fit. Currently my numbers are a 160/4.0x and I have been accepted into 2 law schools with pretty nice scholly offers that would allow me to graduate debt free, however, they are not very highly ranked schools. I was wondering if there was any harm in retaking in June and seeing if I can improve my LSAT score to see if I can better my chances at a more prestigious school and apply next cycle. If I don't score as high as I would like then I would attend one of the law schools I have a good offer at. The only downside I can see is if I improved my score enough then I would lose seat deposits at one school maybe an apartment deposit, and a year where I am kind of in limbo. If I didn't improve my score that much then I guess I lose all that time studying, but I think the upside of a potentially better school outweighs that. If there is some other downside I am missing please enlighten me.

Ernert

Bronze

Re: Any harm in retaking?

Post by Ernert » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Nope, with such a strong GPA even a small increase in your LSAT could dramatically change your school prospects. Do it!

This coming from someone who is currently on their gap year and has a t10 acceptance when even breaking the t25 with my first lsat would have been unlikely.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:17 am

Not sure if serious. With a 4.0 there's never any harm in retaking unless test center misconduct, kill proctors, etc

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:34 am

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before devoting another 5-6 months studying towards that dreadful test. Also I was not sure how it would be perceived by schools since I essentially took a year to improve my LSAT score.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:09 am

The key is to spin it positively by being active with something you're passionate about. Service, teaching, travel, neat hobbies etc. don't write an addendum
That says " I took a year off to study for the LSAT and get into to your T14 so I can pander for biglaw. Ps models and bottles"

Hth

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:44 am

A lot of people here will tell you to retake and try again. However, all of the lawyers who I have spoken to have told me that it doesn't matter where you gog to law school. Your skills and connections are most important.

Personally, I would choose 3 years of debt-free education at an average school over being $120g in debt just for the prestige of the name of your law school. Going to a good law school might help you land your first job, but 5 years after law school, your experience, charisma, and connections will benefit you more than your school's name.

Its really something you have to think a lot on because its ultimately your decision.

My best advice to you would be to get the opinions of actual lawyers (alumni from your school, family friends, etc.) because they can give you more guidance on this decision than prospective law students can.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:50 am

Retake. More acceptances equals more chances/ leverage to negotiate for scholarships. Don't waste all the hard work you did to get that GPA. Retake and max out your LSAT score.

Ps. Practicing lawyers often don't understand the first thing about applying to law schools and getting a job in this economy.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 am

Ernert wrote:Nope, with such a strong GPA even a small increase in your LSAT could dramatically change your school prospects. Do it!

This coming from someone who is currently on their gap year and has a t10 acceptance when even breaking the t25 with my first lsat would have been unlikely.
basically, if you scored lower, you would be fine; the same schools would be available. If you score even 5 points higher, you have a shot at the T14. I am in a similar position to Ernert (got into Notre Dame last year, looking much higher now, hopefully)

LawSchoolChampion

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolChampion » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 am

cutecarmel wrote:A lot of people here will tell you to retake and try again. However, all of the lawyers who I have spoken to have told me that it doesn't matter where you gog to law school. Your skills and connections are most important.

Personally, I would choose 3 years of debt-free education at an average school over being $120g in debt just for the prestige of the name of your law school. Going to a good law school might help you land your first job, but 5 years after law school, your experience, charisma, and connections will benefit you more than your school's name.

Its really something you have to think a lot on because its ultimately your decision.

My best advice to you would be to get the opinions of actual lawyers (alumni from your school, family friends, etc.) because they can give you more guidance on this decision than prospective law students can.
Practicing lawyers will tell you that Durnesque gives you great chances for employment. They are wrong, almost always wrong. Talk to firm recruiter's if you're lucky enough to know any. Lawyers will NOT help you here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that you knew more about the law job market than practicing lawyers who have actually been a part of that job market.
There's no point in arguing with you, because you apparently already know everything, but the OP should know what lawyers (not 0Ls) think about the subject.

LawSchoolChampion wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:A lot of people here will tell you to retake and try again. However, all of the lawyers who I have spoken to have told me that it doesn't matter where you gog to law school. Your skills and connections are most important.

Practicing lawyers will tell you that Durnesque gives you great chances for employment. They are wrong, almost always wrong. Talk to firm recruiter's if you're lucky enough to know any. Lawyers will NOT help you here.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 am

This is probably the most stupid post I have ever read.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”