Low GPA, Super High LSAT, Unusual Circumstances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
RonEffingSwanson

Low GPA, Super High LSAT, Unusual Circumstances

Postby RonEffingSwanson » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 pm

I attend VCU. As a freshman I entered already haven been given credit for 30 hours due to extensive AP credits during high school. I've just finished my third semester here, but thanks to the credits I came in with plan to graduate after only taking three more (total of 3 years for undergrad). I have not taken the LSAT yet, but plan to take it this coming summer so that I can apply to law school after I finish next year's fall semester. That being said, the LSAT will not be an issue for me (to avoid sounding arrogant, haha). I can honestly say that a score of 175-180 is not exactly unexpected.

Now the troublesome part. Due to completing my undergrad in 3 years, I will not have an extra year to buffer my GPA, which hasn't exactly busted out of the gates strongly. I will have roughly a 2.8 after the three semesters I've taken. However, this is in large part (pretty much exclusively) due to having debilitating OCD. After having recently begun to really work at it, I'm confident that starting this Spring semester I'll be able to breeze through classes with a 4.0 until the point of graduation. This would likely leave my cumulative GPA at around a 3.6-3.7 at graduation, but if the last semester's grades aren't in by the time students are admitted it will be closer to a 3.4.

Overall, key points are:

- Will graduate in 3 years, age 20-21 at time of application (21 when entering school)
- GPA of 3.4 or 3.6-3.7 (I don't know if law schools count final semester grades for admission. I don't plan on doing ED, so would they be a factor?)
- Substantial upward trend in GPA due to well documented OCD
- 175+ LSAT

What kind of school options would I be looking at here? I kind of want to go to George Mason (cheap, probably a T30 school at the time I would graduate, I could commute from home) but if better options were available and worthwhile, I wouldn't be opposed to exploring them.

NoleinNY

Re: Low GPA, Super High LSAT, Unusual Circumstances

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 pm

EDIT: Flame
Last edited by NoleinNY on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Make sure your gap is as calculated by LSAC and not your school. Law schools only really count what grades you have when you apply...so keep that in mind. Typically people apply in Oct/Nov and thus may not have any grades for their senior year.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 pm

1. Is a freshman
2. hasnt taken LSAT yet, predicts 175-180. Not completely unreasonable but pretty fishy.
3. Has 2.8 after 3 semester, predicts 4.0 every semester yet.
4. Asks question about chances with given stats, information about which is readily available in tons of different places.

Flame?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 pm

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:20 pm

splitmuch wrote:1. Is a freshman
2. hasnt taken LSAT yet, predicts 175-180. Not completely unreasonable but pretty fishy.
3. Has 2.8 after 3 semester, predicts 4.0 every semester yet.
4. Asks question about chances with given stats, information about which is readily available in tons of different places.

Flame?

RC fail on my part missed the graduating in 3 years part.... Thought he meant he was graduating after 3 years of working up..... I need to stop studying, it's frying my brain.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm

I wish you the best of luck, but I think assuming a 4.0 for the second half of your college career (when you currently stand at 2.8 ) is very optimistic. Also, getting a 175+ is extremely difficult and basically entails getting something like 94/101 questions right. That should never be assumed, as even one misread line in a game can dash your hopes of that score.

My goal is certainly not to dash your hopes and dreams, but simply to advise you to look at a much wider range of schools as you get closer and closer to applying. That being said, a hypothetical 3.4 (upward trend)/175+ would allow you get into some good T20 schools if I had to guess.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 pm

RonEffingSwanson wrote:I attend VCU. As a freshman I entered already haven been given credit for 30 hours due to extensive AP credits during high school. I've just finished my third semester here, but thanks to the credits I came in with plan to graduate after only taking three more (total of 3 years for undergrad). I have not taken the LSAT yet, but plan to take it this coming summer so that I can apply to law school after I finish next year's fall semester. That being said, the LSAT will not be an issue for me (to avoid sounding arrogant, haha). I can honestly say that a score of 175-180 is not exactly unexpected.

Now the troublesome part. Due to completing my undergrad in 3 years, I will not have an extra year to buffer my GPA, which hasn't exactly busted out of the gates strongly. I will have roughly a 2.8 after the three semesters I've taken. However, this is in large part (pretty much exclusively) due to having debilitating OCD. After having recently begun to really work at it, I'm confident that starting this Spring semester I'll be able to breeze through classes with a 4.0 until the point of graduation. This would likely leave my cumulative GPA at around a 3.6-3.7 at graduation, but if the last semester's grades aren't in by the time students are admitted it will be closer to a 3.4.

Overall, key points are:

- Will graduate in 3 years, age 20-21 at time of application (21 when entering school)
- GPA of 3.4 or 3.6-3.7 (I don't know if law schools count final semester grades for admission. I don't plan on doing ED, so would they be a factor?)
- Substantial upward trend in GPA due to well documented OCD
- 175+ LSAT

What kind of school options would I be looking at here? I kind of want to go to George Mason (cheap, probably a T30 school at the time I would graduate, I could commute from home) but if better options were available and worthwhile, I wouldn't be opposed to exploring them.

1. Slow down and get your grades up. Enjoy college, what's the rush?
2. There's a good chance you won't get a 175 or better. Plus you need to take the test first before you start telling people that you will ace the thing. (just to save face if you get a 165, still respectable). There's are A LOT of extremely smart people who don't score in the 170's. On a positive note, If you do graduate at 21 it wouldn't hurt to take the year off to work/intern while you study for the LSAT so you can be sure that you top 170.
3. Cut back your adderall intake from 30mgs a day to 15mgs a day.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Will graduate in 3 years, age 20-21 at time of application (21 when entering school) This is quite common. Shouldn't help or hurt you by itself.
GPA of 3.4 or 3.6-3.7 (I don't know if law schools count final semester grades for admission. I don't plan on doing ED, so would they be a factor?) You don't seem to have a confidence problem. I wonder if you're being overly optimistic in assuming you'll have a 4.0 after rocking a 2.8 thus far. The schools will count the last completed semester when you turn your app in. Therefore, waiting till December to request your transcript would mean those grades would count, applying in November they wouldn't. Some schools request fall grades if you turn in your app before the end of the semester and they aren't sure about you.
Substantial upward trend in GPA due to well documented OCD This would make a good addendum and would help explain your grades.
175+ LSAT You seem really confident about this and I'm not trying to destroy your confidence, but I consistently (every one of my last few tests) got a 179-180 on my practice tests and ended up with a 173 on test day. I'm generally a good test taker and didn't have an anxiety attack or anything. It's just a hard test, and one of my reading comps was extremely difficult (usually a strength). What I'm trying to say is, you'd be better off asking these sorts of questions when you have a REAL lsat score, no matter how confident you are.

Summary: come back when you have a real LSAT score. and by come back I mean look at LSN, because even with the OCD they're still basically going to care about your numbers because that's what they report. If you end up with a 3.4 and a 180 you're golden at George Mason. You could probably get T6 with those numbers.

Best of luck!

Return to “What are my chances?”