interesting situation, what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lucifr

interesting situation, what are my chances?

Postby lucifr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Hey everyone,
so rather than be more specific like others have in their posts, I guess I am looking for someone who has similar numbers and a story like my own so I know what to expect- I am trying to measure how much weight my addendum will hold while explaining my GPA

I took the LSAT earlier this year and ended up with a 174. I graduated from a top twenty university with a 3.0 GPA, I have a major in Political Science and two minors in economics and legal studies. The reason for the GPA was the second semester of my sophomore year, my mother, grandmother, and grandfather all died within a two week period during April. I ended up loosing it and withdrew from the university. Two of my classes, as I was past the drop period, showed up as incomplete and I was unable to change how this effected my GPA. I took the next year off from my school; during this time I became a state certified EMT intermediate (3.76 GPA from the classes required for the cert) and worked full time; I also took classes at my university's summer school (A total of three, over the course of two summers until I returned) and received a 4.0 GPA which was transferred into my undergraduate cumulative.
When I came back to my university I retook the two classes that were now factored in as zeros, and received two solid A's; during the next four semesters I took either graduate level classes or the most challenging undergrad classes required for my major/minors, and per semester either received a 4.0 or a 3.76 making the deans list each time- two of these semesters I was enrolled in an additional class beyond the standard class load and graduated just a few classes shy of having enough credit for a masters degree. Furthermore, my last semester as a senior I was in an internship for credit type class and worked near full time in a criminal court in the city, I then wrote and published a research paper based on my experience, as was required by the program. After my graduation I spent my time preparing for the LSAT and becoming a certified paralegal, I will be working for the remainder of the year and hope that experience will also have some weight on my apps. Had those two classes not effected my GPA, I would be somewhere between a 3.7 and a 3.85.

So yeah, I know its a mouthful but the way I see it is that all my credentials including work experience, LSAT, recommendations, extra curriculars -forgot to mention I was treasurer and then president of my fraternity as well as a member of the cross country and track teams- are not bad, but my GPA has a serious hole in it that a lot of schools may not easily forgive. I feel that whether or not a school will consider my addendum and see length I went to correct the situation will be the single most important factor in terms of my acceptance or rejection.

That being said, is there anyone out there who personally has these kind of numbers/story with any kind of advice or suggestions for me? I am not interested in whether or not I will be accepted to a specific school as I have no idea where I should apply given the particulars of my situation.... So if anyone can compare my story to their own and tell me where they applied and were accepted, wait listed, or rejected, or if anyone can offer me more general advice as in what school based on stats/rank would be my cutoff point (meaning I should reasonably expect a rejection) it would be very appreciated.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

lucifr

Re: interesting situation, what are my chances?

Postby lucifr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh and I am a 24 year old male, not URM, and will not be applying for financial aid

rklafehn

Postby rklafehn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 pm

While a lot of the NU ED acceptances this cycle had 3.7 - 3.9 GPAs, I could see your WE and that high LSAT getting you in there with a full ride.

lucifr

Postby lucifr » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:46 pm

^ in regards to that, how much weight does having the tuition money up front have behind it? If NU is willing to offer me money does this translate to higher ranked schools letting me in with the caveat of having to pay for it all myself or does this have to do more with endowment and such? I had a pretty good understanding of this years ago when I was applying to undergrad but I imagine its different for grad school

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Confused - how did 2 classes drop your gpa from 3.75 to 3.0? something is not adding up.

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 pm

emkay625 wrote:Confused - how did 2 classes drop your gpa from 3.75 to 3.0? something is not adding up.

+1. That's not possible unless they were like 15 credit hour classes. So, perhaps you mean semesters somehow? Although that doesn't fit in with your story.

Return to “What are my chances?”