Biology Major Chem Minor. Patent Law? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
greeniguanadon

New

Biology Major Chem Minor. Patent Law?

Post by greeniguanadon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I have a biology major and a chemistry minor and I got a 3.65 GPA. I also took a few physics courses and my best subject is math but I only took calculus and statistics in college because math courses didn't help complete my degree. I was wondering if I would be able to get a job in patent law with this or would I need to get a masters to go with the biology degree to get a job. I know I would be able to sit for the patent bar exam but would I be able to get a job.

Thanks

midnight419

New

Re: Biology Major Chem Minor. Patent Law?

Post by midnight419 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Yes, you will be able to work at an IP firm or PTO with just a BS and JD. It's not uncommon to have a masters or PhD in patent law, but it's not required.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm

greeniguanadon wrote:I have a biology major and a chemistry minor and I got a 3.65 GPA. I also took a few physics courses and my best subject is math but I only took calculus and statistics in college because math courses didn't help complete my degree. I was wondering if I would be able to get a job in patent law with this or would I need to get a masters to go with the biology degree to get a job. I know I would be able to sit for the patent bar exam but would I be able to get a job.

Thanks
I don't know how true it is, but it has been said often on TLS that biology majors have a harder go of it with just a BS, compared to engineers

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 pm

midnight419 wrote:Yes, you will be able to work at an IP firm or PTO with just a BS and JD. It's not uncommon to have a masters or PhD in patent law, but it's not required.
This comment, while technically true, is misleading. Yes, you will be able to work. The real issue is whether you'll be able to get hired, and more info is needed for us to provide any valuable insight. I assure you that landing an examiner position in bio will be very difficult without an advanced science degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”