Diversity Statement for applicants that aren't minorities?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Geneva

Diversity Statement for applicants that aren't minorities?

Postby Geneva » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Is it a good idea for me to write a diversity statement about how being the daughter of an immigrant and only growing up in a household with one parent shaped my perspectives? I feel like I could write a strong statement, but I want to make sure that it is appropriate for me to do so

Geneva

Re: Diversity Statement for applicants that aren't minorities?

Postby Geneva » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:37 pm

bump

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:54 am

I don't think it would hurt, but couldn't you just make that the topic of an interesting PS?

Caveat: Average white guy here who didn't write one.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm

any other opinions out there in the netherlands?

viacavour

Postby viacavour » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm a white middle class female and I wrote a diversity statement about how I had lived in 5 different countries and had 3 citizenships.

That said, I didn't send it to all of the schools I applied to - Michigan and Penn which have the optional essay option about diversity, and Berkeley which I get the impression really cares about putting together an interesting and unique class.

I don't think it can hurt, so long as its something that doesn't come through on your PS I think its a good idea especially for schools that seem to really like diversity or really like supplements.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Geneva wrote:Is it a good idea for me to write a diversity statement about how being the daughter of an immigrant and only growing up in a household with one parent shaped my perspectives?

Daughter of an immigrant YES. Might even be a fascinating read to hear about how your parent/parents struggle to fulfill their dream is manifest in you and your success and dreams. That would give the admissions committee an understanding of who you are and where you come from.

One parent household NO. Check the numbers. Most people now a days are growing up in a one parent household. The exception would be Mormon Christians.

Return to “What are my chances?”