3.75/174/previous enrollment

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Fortuitous » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:40 pm

N/M
Last edited by Fortuitous on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Fortuitous » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 pm

N/M
Last edited by Fortuitous on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Fortuitous » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:09 pm

N/M
Last edited by Fortuitous on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Fortuitous wrote:c'mon guys, 34 views...nobody has an opinion?


Not many people have experience with dropping out and reapplying. I'd imagine it won't be too bad with an addendum but I could be wrong. The impact of it really doesn't matter though because all you can do is submit an addendum and hope. It's not like how it affects your cycle will have any bearing on where you apply since it is hard to know how each school will take it.

You should just look at LSN for your numbers to see your chances at CLS/UPenn/HLS/SLS/UMich. If you find that your chances at those schools are not as good as you would like but that people with better LSATs do have a better chance of getting in then by all means retake.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Fortuitous » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm

N/M
Last edited by Fortuitous on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Choosing a school based "solely" on location and cost is actually a pretty decent way to go about it lol. If you went to a local TTT or something and realized that your degree wouldn't take you where you wanted to go, then I understand where you're coming from. But if you were at a T1/upper T2 school and didn't feel right, I'm not sure you're going to love wherever you do eventually wind up. Best of luck to you though, just something to think about.

cidergirl
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby cidergirl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 pm

My friend actually is in a similar situation to you and she is freaked out that her previous enrollment will hurt her because the schools will view her as a risk. Guys, do you think maybe she should apply to lower ranked schools than Penn/Mich in case schools view her as a risk and reject her despite the awesome numbers? It's probs smart to have back up schools outside the top 10, no?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Choosing a school based "solely" on location and cost is actually a pretty decent way to go about it lol. If you went to a local TTT or something and realized that your degree wouldn't take you where you wanted to go, then I understand where you're coming from. But if you were at a T1/upper T2 school and didn't feel right, I'm not sure you're going to love wherever you do eventually wind up. Best of luck to you though, just something to think about.

this is bad advice.

To OP and cider girl's friend: we have no idea how this will affect your cycle. You have the numbers to get into NYU at least, but you should probably apply to some lower ranked schools than you otherwise would in case schools view you're situation poorly. Since none of us are adcomms (as far as I know) this is the most detailed advice anyone here can give you.

cidergirl
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby cidergirl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 pm

kudos to you for at least disclosing your experience. i told my friend she HAD to disclose, but idk if she actually will...

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Kabuo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Isn't there some rule that if you enroll you have to wait 5 years to reapply? Or am I making this up?

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Geneva » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:06 pm

good luck
Last edited by Geneva on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:04 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Choosing a school based "solely" on location and cost is actually a pretty decent way to go about it lol. If you went to a local TTT or something and realized that your degree wouldn't take you where you wanted to go, then I understand where you're coming from. But if you were at a T1/upper T2 school and didn't feel right, I'm not sure you're going to love wherever you do eventually wind up. Best of luck to you though, just something to think about.


this is bad advice.

To OP and cider girl's friend: we have no idea how this will affect your cycle. You have the numbers to get into NYU at least, but you should probably apply to some lower ranked schools than you otherwise would in case schools view you're situation poorly. Since none of us are adcomms (as far as I know) this is the most detailed advice anyone here can give you.


Care to explain? All I said was OP seemingly made a wise decision at first (choosing a school based on location and cost) and should make sure that law school in general is right for them before diving into an upper level school and assuming the debt that will come with that.

Sounds reasonable to me.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby sunynp » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:13 am

Did you apply to these schools before? I think you might have a better shot at places you were accepted to before. I also think it matters if you left your old school on at least decent terms. What did you do during the time in between schools.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:39 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Choosing a school based "solely" on location and cost is actually a pretty decent way to go about it lol. If you went to a local TTT or something and realized that your degree wouldn't take you where you wanted to go, then I understand where you're coming from. But if you were at a T1/upper T2 school and didn't feel right, I'm not sure you're going to love wherever you do eventually wind up. Best of luck to you though, just something to think about.


this is bad advice.

To OP and cider girl's friend: we have no idea how this will affect your cycle. You have the numbers to get into NYU at least, but you should probably apply to some lower ranked schools than you otherwise would in case schools view you're situation poorly. Since none of us are adcomms (as far as I know) this is the most detailed advice anyone here can give you.


Care to explain? All I said was OP seemingly made a wise decision at first (choosing a school based on location and cost) and should make sure that law school in general is right for them before diving into an upper level school and assuming the debt that will come with that.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I think I RC failed. My bad

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby Fortuitous » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:39 pm

N/M
Last edited by Fortuitous on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: 3.75/174/previous enrollment

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Fortuitous wrote:I've never heard of a rule that precludes me from reapplying. I never signed an early decision or binding deferral agreement with the original school, so I don't see how C&F issues would come into play here...am I missing something?

I felt the rank and reputation of the original school would limit my long term career options. I want to have the opportunity to work at a big firm and to potentially teach some day. Although I am sure I would have received an excellent legal education at the original school, I am certain that I will have a broader range of options as the graduate of a T14 school.

I did not apply to any of the schools in question last cycle. I foolishly underestimated the importance of rank and only considered schools where I thought I would be competitive for significant scholarship $$. Clearly my decision making process was hugely flawed...will it be helpful to spell this out in the addendum? On the one hand, it is embarrassing to have made such a big mistake. On the other hand, I want to let the ad comms know that I am 1) 100% committed to becoming an attorney, 2) not going to pose a risk to their retention rates.

Thanks for all the feedback:) Additional comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

definitely write an addendum. BTW, you're in line for a huge scholly from a lot of the T14 as it stands (obviously, we don't know how the previous enrollment will affect your cycle).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest