Academic probation in undergrad and low GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gofergary

New

Academic probation in undergrad and low GPA

Post by gofergary » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I really need some advice on what Im up against in my applications to law schools.

During my undergraduate degree at a decent university, I was charged with two counts of plagiarism which coincided with my parents deaths (they died two years apart and each instance occurred while they were ill). I was asked to leave for one year from Smith and when I returned for my last semester, I received a 3.5 GPA. I then went to London, UK to do my Masters at Kings in International Law. I did very well there and received a high GPA. I have been working in financial sales in London for the past few years and have done well at my places of employment.

Since the plagiarism occurred in 2003 and 2004, how horribly will this affect my chances of getting into schools like Denver U or Uni of New Mexico? or another mid level state school? My GPA is horrid from undergrad (2.3). My LSAT score hasnt come out yet but I am fairly sure I'll score between 157 - 160.

I plan to write an addendum about the plagiarism but do I need to go into detail about both instances?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Re: Academic probation in undergrad and low GPA

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:59 pm

gofergary wrote:I really need some advice on what Im up against in my applications to law schools.

During my undergraduate degree at a decent university, I was charged with two counts of plagiarism which coincided with my parents deaths (they died two years apart and each instance occurred while they were ill). I was asked to leave for one year from Smith and when I returned for my last semester, I received a 3.5 GPA. I then went to London, UK to do my Masters at Kings in International Law. I did very well there and received a high GPA. I have been working in financial sales in London for the past few years and have done well at my places of employment.

Since the plagiarism occurred in 2003 and 2004, how horribly will this affect my chances of getting into schools like Denver U or Uni of New Mexico? or another mid level state school? My GPA is horrid from undergrad (2.3). My LSAT score hasnt come out yet but I am fairly sure I'll score between 157 - 160.

I plan to write an addendum about the plagiarism but do I need to go into detail about both instances?

Thank you in advance for your insight.
Stay at your current place of employment.

gofergary

New

Post by gofergary » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 pm

I just spoke with the dean and they stated that there is no record of the first instance on my transcripts or elsewhere. Only the second instance.

I am erring towards not disclosing the first instance as the second was what hurt me. Thoughts anyone?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 pm

gofergary wrote:I just spoke with the dean and they stated that there is no record of the first instance on my transcripts or elsewhere. Only the second instance.

I am erring towards not disclosing the first instance as the second was what hurt me. Thoughts anyone?
Always disclose.

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 pm

if your GPA is only in the 2s and you cant get above a 160 LSAT, you probably will not be able to get into a school worth going to (or a school worth going to for free) anyways

EDIT: LSP with your #s and a 160 shows deny for Denver and consider for NM, so you probably would have to take out a decent amount of loans even if you went to NM
Last edited by msuz on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:57 pm

bernaldiaz wrote: Stay at your current place of employment.
This is the best advice you're going to get considering you're doing well in financial sales.

Also, don't hide the truth AT ALL on applications. Disclose everything.

gofergary

New

Post by gofergary » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Ive already moved back to the states and have spent the past two months to study for the LSAT, then took it in December.

I am never going back to financial sales. Its soul destroying - particularly in London.

Anyways, if there's no record of the first instance, why would I need to disclose it as well as the second time?

Also, I disagree that I'll be barred from going to all state schools - my masters shows great improvement (3.3 GPA) and undergrad was 8 YEARS ago! Do law school admissions really still weigh that GPA number so heavily after years and years?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:13 pm

gofergary wrote:Ive already moved back to the states and have spent the past two months to study for the LSAT, then took it in December.

I am never going back to financial sales. Its soul destroying - particularly in London.

Anyways, if there's no record of the first instance, why would I need to disclose it as well as the second time?

Also, I disagree that I'll be barred from going to all state schools - my masters shows great improvement (3.3 GPA) and undergrad was 8 YEARS ago! Do law school admissions really still weigh that GPA number so heavily after years and years?
Still heavily. Certainly a hell of a lot more than a masters GPA. In short, you're screwed. Do something else.

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:16 pm

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

Im only going off of this site which isnt 100% accurate but should give you a good idea. Yes, they will take into account your grad school GPA but your undergrad GPA is all that matters for their USNEWS ranking. And while with your soft factors (previous experience, grad school, etc) you probably will get in to NM, but if your LSAT isnt above the high 150s it will probably be with a limited scholarship. Generally the advice on these forums is if you are going to a non-T14 school, make sure you are going at close to 100% scholarship.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Even without the plagiarism you would be hard pressed to make it into a top 100 school, an already very low standard. Reconsider your options. The people on this board aren't out to crush your dreams, but we have spent a lot of time researching the hell out of employment stats, and beyond the Top-14 (let alone in the no man's land of below top 100) it is very very grim. Either retake for mid 170s or save yourself 3 years and a lot of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”