Extreme Downward Trend- URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vpintz

Re: Extreme Downward Trend- URM

Postby vpintz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:This thread has seriously made me lol

+1. It's made my evening a bit more amusing.

GetOffMe

Postby GetOffMe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:12 am

OK well I'm going to try for Northwestern. I heard something about there being a full scholarship or something at that school if you get a deferred acceptance without work experience. Is that true?

I'm positive they don't have a lot of other Mexican guys in that school. They're going to need a strong applicant like myself.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:12 am

GetOffMe wrote:OK well I'm going to try for Northwestern. I heard something about there being a full scholarship or something at that school if you get a deferred acceptance without work experience. Is that true?

I'm positive they don't have a lot of other Mexican guys in that school. They're going to need a strong applicant like myself.
Ok, now I'm calling troll.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:19 am

GetOffMe wrote:Just want to go where I can have the most fun and still get a decent job.

lol

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 am

GetOffMe wrote:OK well I'm going to try for Northwestern. I heard something about there being a full scholarship or something at that school if you get a deferred acceptance without work experience. Is that true?

Flame.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Just now? haha. This guy has been trollin since the start

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
Guchster wrote:Let me tell you this from one URM to another.

Unless you have a 3.9 + 170, you cannot predict where you'll get in and where you won't.

I have a URM Mexican Male friend that had 3.60/156 that got rejected from every T14 except for Stanford, and another that had a 3.5/165 that got into EVERY T14 and chose to go to Yale. I can tell you of people of ALL ranges of number that don't make any sense when put in a data pool. Without concrete data the applicant pool's diversity (and the diversity of factors WITHIN a racial group that need to be balance), it's hard to predict where you'll land.

Once you get to the T14s (and without comparable grades), it's hard to predict where you'll land (with affirmative action) because each T14 is looking to fill its class with different things that vary from socio-economic/racial make-up, geographic diversity, majors, types of undergrad (for instance, a lower-ranked undergrad could actually be an advantage (read: for the sake of balance) if they've filled spots with top-ranked undergrads, or perhaps the school is willing to tolerate a lower LSAT because other LSAT scores admitted are super high this year at the school)

Seriously, it all comes down to adcom balance; you'll be used to make a well-rounded class and while people on here will tell you you're an auto-reject or auto-admit, the truth is these people don't understand a class make-up and what diversity concerns a law school is facing (and trying to counter-balance based on previous classes) because they're not on the adcom and reading applications.

Take the LSAT; blanket the T14 to maximize a chance of success. Ask for fee waivers, and if you don't get them be prepared to make a decision about where you want to hedge your bets by sending off aps (but there's not really a method to this madness). My advice: with a 3.2 though, even if HYS is loving you're profile, it'll be hard for them to accept, so I'd apply to CCN and down if you don't have any waivers (I have an AA friend that got into CCN with a 3.1).

As a URM, this is ridiculous. First, unless your comparison is a typo, comparing a 156 who got in to no T14's and a 165 who got in to all of them does not prove that URM cycles are impossible to predict. Second, while it may be difficult to predict with accuracy URM applications it is still fairly easy to have a general gist of what range that person can get into. And of course URM's should generally apply to more reaches than non-URM's, but that doesn't mean that it is that difficult to tell a 3.5/165/URM what range of schools they should be applying to.

I was aiming my advice more at OP than I was meaning to make a general statement about URM applications (the 3.9/170+ remark may have been a tad dramatic). I'd obviously recommend the higher the LSAT/GPA the higher ranked school one should apply to.

I think at the end of the day, URM cycles are more arbitrary and random than non-URM ones and unexpected surprises can happen (that are both suprisingly good and shockingly bad). While I believe there is obviously a general trend, random spots happen hardcore and it's worth applying to seemingly impossible reach schools to secure those '1L balance' spots.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:11 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Just now? haha. This guy has been trollin since the start

Okay just read over OPs other comments. Flame. And if OP is not a flame, then you should really just save face and say you are.

GetOffMe

Postby GetOffMe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 pm

WTF?!?! Everyone's against me?!?!!

Now I'm PISSED! My fists are tightening up as I type this. :evil:

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm

GetOffMe wrote:WTF?!?! Everyone's against me?!?!!

Too much man, too much. You should be proud though, you did good work in this thread. People believed you for at least eight posts.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Bless this thread.

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Yukos wrote:

Too much man, too much. You should be proud though, you did good work in this thread. People believed you for at least eight posts.

Agreed. I really believed this until the "strong applicant like me" at Northwestern, and this one was even worse. You really had everyone going for a while though.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Yukos wrote:

This.

You had a good run OP, but it's time to let trololo run this thread.

GetOffMe

Postby GetOffMe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Yukos wrote:

Could this be a soft factor for my applications?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:01 pm

GetOffMe wrote:
Yukos wrote:

Could this be a soft factor for my applications?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... ology-2012

Search Forum.

Return to “What are my chances?”