FSU 159/3.36

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lschool1

FSU 159/3.36

Postby lschool1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:54 pm

I applied to FSU and UF with a 159 lsat and 3.36 gpa out of the University of Tampa. I had to include addendums with my application for being arrested for battery and drunkenness. The battery charge was dropped and I plead no contest to the drunkenness charge and completed a pre-trial intervention program. I include those details because I am wondering how much they will affect the strength of my application? I was also curious as to what my chances are of being accepted to both schools and if there is ANYTHING I can do to increase me chances of being accepted now that my application has been sent to the schools? I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions people may have. Thanks

ScrabbleChamp

Re: FSU 159/3.36

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 pm

lschool1 wrote:I applied to FSU and UF with a 159 lsat and 3.36 gpa out of the University of Tampa. I had to include addendums with my application for being arrested for battery and drunkenness. The battery charge was dropped and I plead no contest to the drunkenness charge and completed a pre-trial intervention program. I include those details because I am wondering how much they will affect the strength of my application? I was also curious as to what my chances are of being accepted to both schools and if there is ANYTHING I can do to increase me chances of being accepted now that my application has been sent to the schools? I'd appreciate any insight or suggestions people may have. Thanks

Let's forget about all the Tom Foolery you were involved in. Unless you are a URM, you are going to have a hard time getting into FSU with your numbers. You are at or below both 25th percentiles (3.3/161). I think you are definitely out when you throw in your extra curricular activities. If I were you, and you want to stay in Florida, I'd look at Stetson as your best option, but there is no guarantee there.

FTR, it's addenda, not addendums.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:FTR, it's addenda, not addendums.

Can't it be both?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am

bernaldiaz wrote:

Can't it be both?

No.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

Can't it be both?

No.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/addendum

Merriam Webster says otherwise? Unless I'm misreading it.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:11 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

Can't it be both?

No.

Merriam Webster says otherwise? Unless I'm misreading it.

Merriam-Webster sucks and is incorrect. Addenda is the correct plural form for addendum. Try to use "addendums" in an academic paper or published work and see how that works out for you.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 am

bernaldiaz wrote:

Can't it be both?

No.[/quote]

Merriam Webster says otherwise? Unless I'm misreading it.[/quote]

Merriam-Webster sucks and is incorrect. Addenda is the correct plural form for addendum. Try to use "addendums" in an academic paper or published work and see how that works out for you.[/quote]

I'm not talking about academic papers or published works (TLS is neither), just if it is grammatically correct. For example, while contractions are grammatically correct you would, for the most part, not use them in an academic paper. I don't go around TLS correcting people for using contractions.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 am

Check it out on dictionary.com and/or Wikipedia. "Addendums" is an English bastardization of the Latin addenda, similar to ain't. Any entry in a dictionary should be labeled as such. You can't just add an "s" onto the end of a Latin word and call it plural.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:37 pm

What about at retake. But as it stands Stetson.

JRD

Postby JRD » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:42 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Check it out on dictionary.com and/or Wikipedia. "Addendums" is an English bastardization of the Latin addenda, similar to ain't. Any entry in a dictionary should be labeled as such. You can't just add an "s" onto the end of a Latin word and call it plural.

Man you sound like a tool.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 pm

JRD wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Check it out on dictionary.com and/or Wikipedia. "Addendums" is an English bastardization of the Latin addenda, similar to ain't. Any entry in a dictionary should be labeled as such. You can't just add an "s" onto the end of a Latin word and call it plural.

Says the guy that has a torrid past and hopes to get into a school with numbers below both medians.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but, realistically, you have no shot at either FSU or UF. The best school you may get into is Stetson. Deal with it or retake and wait a year. Even if you did retake, you'd need to get a 164+ to be competitive at either FSU or UF, and even then you aren't a shoe-in, especially if the multiple offenses were recent (within the last 12 months).

As far as me sounding like a tool, get used to it. The practitioners of the legal profession tend to use the correct tenses of Latin words, lest they be labeled "tools".

North

Postby North » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JRD wrote:

Says the guy that has a torrid past and hopes to get into a school with numbers below both medians.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but, realistically, you have no shot at either FSU or UF. The best school you may get into is Stetson. Deal with it or retake and wait a year. Even if you did retake, you'd need to get a 164+ to be competitive at either FSU or UF, and even then you aren't a shoe-in, especially if the multiple offenses were recent (within the last 12 months).

As far as me sounding like a tool, get used to it. The practitioners of the legal profession tend to use the correct tenses of Latin words, lest they be labeled "tools".
First, JRD is not the OP. Second, you do sound like a tool. Stop derailing the OP's thread with this nonsense, these are on-topic boards.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:31 am

I love how this posted turned into a grammar arguement.

Anyways, I think your chances are slim getting into FSU, especially with the charges. I would retake and do really really well.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:50 pm

It's interesting. I have had to write an addendum related to underage drinking. I have had some counselors tell me that it won't affect their decison whatsoever, and that it is more for bar admission purposes, and haven't been rejected from any target schools yet, and have even gotten into a few. Although, the fact that you are reaching for these schools and have had these charges, which are actually quite serious (battery ain't no joke IMHO), it may hurt you, I think. It s my understanding also that committees consider strength of undergraduate based on average LSAT score annually at your institution. How good a school is University of Tampa, just out of curiosity, relative to UF, FSU, UM, UCF, etc., whose students that you are competing against for spots? I have similar numbers to you and I got into FIU. Good luck.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:03 pm

cutecarmel wrote:I love how this posted turned into a grammar arguement.

Anyways, I think your chances are slim getting into FSU, especially with the charges. I would retake and do really really well.

What do you expect; it's TLS.

Return to “What are my chances?”