Transcript missing my sophomore year? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
alamont

New

Transcript missing my sophomore year?

Post by alamont » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 am

I spent my second year of college on an exchange program in the U.S., and my transcript from my UK undergraduate degree just says 'PASS' for that year. There is no breakdown of classes and scores from my time in the U.S. I think it was my college's policy just to pass or fail exchange students who go overseas for a year. My first question is, when I apply to US law schools, will they accept my transcript and calculate my GPA from the classes listed on it from my first, third, and fourth years of school?

cinephile

Gold

Re: Transcript missing my sophomore year?

Post by cinephile » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:12 am

Yes, they'll calculate your gpa using only your American grades.

alamont

New

Post by alamont » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks so much for your response. I'm actually from the UK, which is where is studied for my freshman, junior, and senior years. I was an exchange student in the US for my sophomore year, and now I want to go to law school int he US where I live full-time. Do you think it works both ways? (based on the fact that my college is in the UK)

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:47 am

Since you have more than one year of schooling outside of the U.S., you will be rated on the international transcript scale (ex. Superior, Above Average...)

ETA: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/cas-intern ... d-apps.asp

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:55 am

Sorry, I misunderstood. It'll be your UK degree then with the degree rating above.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alamont

New

Post by alamont » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks so much - I am just starting out (hoping to begin 1L in fall 2013) and the whole thing is kind of overwhelming due to having lived overseas all my life. This forum is a godsend.

**update** I think this paragraph below refers to my situation. I took it from the LSAC website. It kind of describes my situation but doesn't actually explain what the implications are:

Transfer Credit
Work that appears as transfer credit on the sponsoring institution's transcript has not been completed under the clear sponsorship of the institution. It may still be referred to as the institution’s exchange program, study-abroad program, or consortium work. However, grades received in courses transferred from other institutions are typically not reported on the sponsoring institution's transcript, nor included in the sponsoring institution's GPA. They simply contribute credit towards a degree or elective requirement, assuming a grade of C or better was attained. Grades of C- and below typically do not transfer.

So, if my transcript just gives me a "pass" from my US exchange program, does that mean the grades I got will not contibrute to my overall GPA?

alamont

New

Post by alamont » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 am

So it looks like grades won't transfer if you are at a US college and study for a year or less outside of the US. But what about the other way around? What if someone is studying for their UG in the UK and spends a year or less in the US (and his or her transcript does not indicate grades for that year - only pass or fail). I know I'm not the only person ever to experience this, but I have yet to find an answer (the LSAC rep was less than helpful). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”