hys chance?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hysmargin

hys chance?

Postby hysmargin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 am

will graduate this year with a 3.78 and 176, looking to apply as early as possible to increase chances, went to a top 10 school, decent resume(startup and international experience) and personal statement but nothing else, minority but not urm

do I have any chance at hys? anything I can do to increase those chances, is it worth taking the lsat again if I was pting around 178?

JamMasterJ

Re: hys chance?

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 am

hysmargin wrote:will graduate this year with a 3.78 and 176, looking to apply as early as possible to increase chances, went to a top 10 school, decent resume(startup and international experience) and personal statement but nothing else, minority but not urm

do I have any chance at hys? anything I can do to increase those chances, is it worth taking the lsat again if I was pting around 178?

in at H, not sure about the others. retaking probably isn't worth it.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:29 am

probably in at H if the rest of your app is solid (this is definitely not for sure, there are people from last cycle with better numbers than you who didn't get in, and people with similar/worse numbers who did). No need to retake, I think.

YS - you have a shot. they do love them some high GPAs though, so your PS has to be pretty excellent. How are your LORs going to be? That's something you can work on now, making your relationships with profs even stronger.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 am

lawschoolnumbers.com

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 am

Your GPA is slightly lower for all three. But I think if you write a good PS, you have a shot at all three; otherwise, no.

No need to re-take. After it reaches the 75%, retaking will not help you much. Work very hard on the PS.
Stanford might be hard, since it emphasizes more on GPA.

bluedvl

Postby bluedvl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:22 pm

seems like the PS is real important for me too. Obviously PS's are unique for each person but when you say make it strong are there any tips that adcoms have been known to like to see in them that would set me apart? Or do you just mean make sure it is well written and engaging?
Last edited by bluedvl on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:52 pm

bluedvl wrote:Thanks a lot, seems like the PS is real important for me. Obviously PS's are unique for each person but when you say make it strong are there any tips that adcoms have been known to like to see in them that would set me apart? Or do you just mean make sure it is well written and engaging?

viewforum.php?f=18

bluedvl

Postby bluedvl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Also sorry for stealing the op's thread

hysmargin

Postby hysmargin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 am

Why do people say that once you reach the 75th percentile it doesn't matter how much over you are for the lsat?
Looking at harvard's lsn it seems if you are between 3.7 and 3.78 theres a large difference between 176 lsats and 178 lsats, especially this year:
http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:46 pm

hysmargin wrote:Why do people say that once you reach the 75th percentile it doesn't matter how much over you are for the lsat?
Looking at harvard's lsn it seems if you are between 3.7 and 3.78 theres a large difference between 176 lsats and 178 lsats, especially this year:
http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

Data from this year is too limited to be useful at this point.

To be honest, there really aren't enough sub-3.8, 176+ applicants to draw legitimate conclusions in either direction. I think Harvard is probably a school where being above the 75th on the LSAT helps if you still have a very good but not quite median GPA (like 3.7-3.9.)

Also, the data you linked to is from when Toby Stock was the admissions dean, and the consensus is that he was more inclined to take someone because of a high LSAT than his successor, Josh Rubenstein. In the 08-09 cycle, several people got in with an above 75th LSAT and a sub-3.7. That stopped under Rubenstein. Of course, they now have someone totally different, but so far the new lady seems to be following the JR model of focusing on high GPAs. Time will tell whether that strategy holds.

Return to “What are my chances?”