would i be wasting my time trying to get in to law school?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jasonkramer

would i be wasting my time trying to get in to law school?

Postby jasonkramer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

I am curious to know if I would be wasting my time trying to get in to law school. I took the practice LSAT (June 2007 official test) today and received 147. My preparation for the test consisted of me reading the instructions and nothing else. Could someone with such a low score pre studying, get a score in the 160s or higher after studying?

For more info on me I am a senior in international political science. My major GPA is 3.01 and university GPA is 3.07. I graduated high school with a 1.82. So I have had to work very hard to get my 3.0.

If I do take the test it will be most likely November or December next year with the intent to enter law school fall 2013. I want to take a year off and try to find a job leading to a career. Also I will have many months to practice.
Section scores
I8
II11
III14
IV14

Re: would i be wasting my time trying to get in to law school?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm

jasonkramer wrote:I am curious to know if I would be wasting my time trying to get in to law school. I took the practice LSAT (June 2007 official test) today and received 147. My preparation for the test consisted of me reading the instructions and nothing else. Could someone with such a low score pre studying, get a score in the 160s or higher after studying?

For more info on me I am a senior in international political science. My major GPA is 3.01 and university GPA is 3.07. I graduated high school with a 1.82. So I have had to work very hard to get my 3.0.

If I do take the test it will be most likely November or December next year with the intent to enter law school fall 2013. I want to take a year off and try to find a job leading to a career. Also I will have many months to practice.
Section scores
I8
II11
III14
IV14

It depends on why you got so many wrong. Because you didn't have time? Or because you didn't understand the logic involved. If you can look back at the questions and understand why you are wrong, you can have a lot of progress. The games section is very learn-able. The first time I took one, I quit because it was too hard, but after a week studying I rarely got more than 1 wrong.

If you are serious about working hard to get a 3.0 in poli sci, then Yes you are wasting your time.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:51 pm

You're going to have your work cut out for you with that GPA, but you can absolutely get a fantastic score on the LSAT. I'd recommend that you study your ass off and take the June 2012 LSAT, with the October 2012 LSAT as your backup.

I'd put very little stock into a diagnostic score. Best of luck to you.

Jasper21

Postby Jasper21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:53 pm

I started at a 139 and my highest has been a 166 so you can do it!!!

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:55 pm

I know someone who got a 142 diagnostic and got a 177 on the real thing. You can get a very good score if you're willing to work for it.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm

It is not uncommon for people to gain 20 plus points from their diagnostic with months of studying. Use the resources on this site to point you to some good tools and methods and see if youre progressing. The important thing is to identify what your weaknesses are (ie formal logic, reading issues, logic games etc.) and try to attack them. However, IMO, with that gpa you are looking at needing to break 170 to have a shot at a worthwhile school. If your underlying weakness is reading related, then I would suggest that the typical LSAT resources might not help you. You have the benefit of time. Use it wisely and you can certainly attain a score that would give you a chance at a good school with money, or at the very least you can make an enlightened decision should your scores not progress enough.

Return to “What are my chances?”