February Application URM

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rubendp21

February Application URM

Postby Rubendp21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi guys and gals,
So I'm applying to my fair share of schools, but I had a bad December LSAT. I normally test around upper 160s low 170s, but on that day I was already nervous and I got a horrible case test anxiety. I normally am very calm and collected but I tripped up a bit and then the pressures of the consequences of the test made me horribly nervous. My question is when I retake the February LSAT what chances do I have as a 2.7 gpa splitter at my schools. I'm a URM (colombian) and have a decent diversity statement (mentally handicapped older sister, gay brother, and another extremely conservative/religious sister makes for interesting life experiences haha). Also how much will me applying in February hurt my chances and no I cannot wait until next cycle.

Schools
Rutgers Newark
Indiana Bloomington
Pittsburgh
Villanova
American
Uconn

rinkrat19

Re: February Application URM

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

A lot of schools don't even accept the Feb test score (until next cycle, of course) because the scores are released after the application deadline.

Even for the schools that DO accept it, it's a terrible idea. Everyone already on the waitlist is ahead of you in line, competing for the very, very few open spots left in an almost full class. Your odds at that point are shit. You'll get WLed (if you're lucky) at schools that would have accepted you and rejected at schools that would have WLed you.

Everyone hates to hear this, but waiting a cycle is your ONLY intelligent option.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Do you have a score from June/October?

Rubendp21

Postby Rubendp21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:00 pm

The schools that I'm looking at do accept the February LSAT. I don't have a June LSAT because I had E.coli poisoning during the test date and I didn't have the money for the October LSAT. Rinkrat19, I appreciate your respond even if it didn't directly answer my question and is in a chastising fashion. I rather have responses from people who can formulate an educated response without having resort to cursing or scare tactics. I think I realize the nature of my difficult situation.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:00 pm

I didn't find anything wrong with his response, he's really just being honest.

However, to directly answer your question:

Taking the February LSAT will severely weaken your chances of getting accepted into schools that otherwise would have let you in. I would not advise it to anyone unless they have absolutely no choice but to apply to schools this cycle, and I can't imagine there are many people who absolutely HAVE to apply this cycle.

Best of luck to you.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 am

Rubendp21 wrote:Rinkrat19, I appreciate your respond even if it didn't directly answer my question

Rubendp21 wrote:Also how much will me applying in February hurt my chances

rinkrat19 wrote:...it's a terrible idea. Everyone already on the waitlist is ahead of you in line, competing for the very, very few open spots left in an almost full class. Your odds at that point are shit. You'll get WLed (if you're lucky) at schools that would have accepted you and rejected at schools that would have WLed you.
^ That, my hypersensitive young friend, is an absolutely valid answer to part of your question. How much will it hurt your chances? A LOT.

Rubendp21 wrote:who can formulate an educated response without having resort to cursing
You're offended by one bad word? Welcome to Grown-Up Land, sparky.

Rubendp21 wrote:...or scare tactics.
Reality is scary. Just wishing I were wrong does not make me wrong.

Rubendp21 wrote:I think I realize the nature of my difficult situation.
Clearly, you do not.

rinkrat19 wrote:...and is in a chastising fashion. I rather have responses from people
P.S. Make sure you let someone edit your PS for grammar.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:13 am

Anecdotal advice at best, but a 1L friend of mine applied mid-February (I think even before the LSAT scores were out), and she applied to schools that were right on target with her numbers and safeties, no reaches, and she only got into 1 out of 12. If you retake, I would ABSOLUTELY wait. In early Sept. or Oct. you're way more likely to get better consideration of your numbers (and more likelihood of a bigger URM boost than being Colombian would normally give you, as they won't have as many already in the applicant pool), than you will be in Feb/March. Most schools have their entering class at least 75% full by then, so you're competing for wayyyyy fewer available spots.

Wait. Apply in September or October. Get into all and profit.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:28 am

Rubendp21 wrote:Hi guys and gals,
So I'm applying to my fair share of schools, but I had a bad December LSAT. I normally test around upper 160s low 170s, but on that day I was already nervous and I got a horrible case test anxiety. I normally am very calm and collected but I tripped up a bit and then the pressures of the consequences of the test made me horribly nervous. My question is when I retake the February LSAT what chances do I have as a 2.7 gpa splitter at my schools. I'm a URM (colombian) and have a decent diversity statement (mentally handicapped older sister, gay brother, and another extremely conservative/religious sister makes for interesting life experiences haha). Also how much will me applying in February hurt my chances and no I cannot wait until next cycle.

I have no personal knowledge of this, but TLS collective wisdom is only hispanics from Mexico/Puerto Rico get the URM boost; Colombians are NOT considered URMs. Me sabe mal.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:53 am

Yukos wrote:I have no personal knowledge of this, but TLS collective wisdom is only hispanics from Mexico/Puerto Rico get the URM boost; Colombians are NOT considered URMs. Me sabe mal.

That is traditional wisdom, but I'm guatemalan and I'm 1000% positive that it played a (small) factor in my acceptances. You don't get the traditional URM boost that a Mexican/PRno gets, but it's a factor of consideration.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 am

What is the reason that you absolutely can't wait a cycle? I see people say this a lot (and of course they get upset/angry when others insist on waiting wait) but they never give a reason, so I think everyone else just assumes they're being impatient and need to get over it.

Thing is, February is so late you might end up being forced to wait out a cycle anyway. For a current cycle February retakes are really only potentially good when you're already on a waitlist, and you think a higher score can convince them to accept you from it. So what you need to do is submit when your December score is in, and keep studying for February in anticipation of a waitlist. Of course the best case scenario is that you surprise yourself and have a good enough December score that you can get into a school of your choice with that.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 am

swilson215 wrote:
Yukos wrote: have no personal knowledge of this, but TLS collective wisdom is only hispanics from Mexico/Puerto Rico get the URM boost; Colombians are NOT considered URMs. Me sabe mal.

That is traditional wisdom, but I'm guatemalan and I'm 1000% positive that it played a (small) factor in my acceptances. You don't get the traditional URM boost that a Mexican/PRno gets, but it's a factor of consideration.

I think the more accurate answer is that MX/PR applicants get a URM boost more consistently. Other Hispanics seem to get varied responses, and it may even vary by school. Some schools don't even track numbers beyond "Hispanic" and at those schools it may not matter.

However, for any URM or diversity applicant, it's critical to apply early in the cycle, especially if low numbers are holding you back. A 2.7 is extremely low, and by February most schools are nearly full and are scrutinizing applications for the few most deserving that remain. Applying in Oct/Nov of next cycle will make a huge difference even with the same LSAT, and is even better if you end up retaking again in June.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 am

Rubendp21 wrote: Rinkrat19, I appreciate your respond even if it didn't directly answer my question and is in a chastising fashion. I rather have responses from people who can formulate an educated response without having resort to cursing or scare tactics. I think I realize the nature of my difficult situation.

While I do think that his later answers were immature, his first answer was actually a really good one. Unfortunately, many schools don't accept Feb. scores because the scores come in after the admission deadline. Even for those who do have deadlines after scores come in, priority deadlines for scholarships are usually in early Feb. So even if you did get admitted, you might not get much money even if you are qualified.

You have to be a really incredible candidate to get into schools after Feb. I still think that you should apply, but I just want you to be aware that you will be at a disadvantage.

Return to “What are my chances?”