LOR from non-native English speaker Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
osgiliath

Bronze

LOR from non-native English speaker

Post by osgiliath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am

So basically, since much of my experience is international, at least one of my LOR's is going to be from a non-native speaker of English.

Will this be a problem?

Thanks

Bodhi_mind

Bronze

Re: LOR from non-native English speaker

Post by Bodhi_mind » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Hmmm can you get it professionally translated? I'm not sure what the etiquette is there. I was wondering at one time because I thought about having my boss (Chinese speaker) write a letter for me

ajr1988

New

Post by ajr1988 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 pm

I also have an LOR from a non-native speaker, but he was my professor and I knew he had a good level of english. He also let me read it before he send it, and it made me feel much better knowing there weren't obvious mistakes or anything. Could you maybe read it beforehand? I assume that when they adcomms see that its coming from abroad they would be pretty reasonable. At least thats what I hope :)

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

Maybe ask your recommender to mention in the LOR that s/he is a non-native English speaker. I imagine the adcomms will be accommodating, assuming that the LOR isn't entirely unreadable.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 am

I would think that as long as it's reasonably intelligible, and it's coming from overseas (and is thus obviously written by someone for whom English is not a first language), it won't be a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

expelliarmus

New

Post by expelliarmus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:52 am

I think it would be great to:
first, suggest to the professor that you would like to read his/her work;
second, if he/she declines, then asks him if he needs translation or proofreading.

But I think the law schools will not judge the professor's English ability too much. After all, he is not applying for law school.
But make sure that under all circumstances, the professor introduces himself in the letter.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm

As long as they can understand what he/she is saying they will not judge a LOR based on how well it is written.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”