fin.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

fin.

Postby seahawk32 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:03 pm

thanks
Last edited by seahawk32 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I am assuming that when you say "impoverished region" that you are also low SES, that will probably help (consider applying for the Anbryce at NYU).

The fact that you graduated in two years is probably a negative, but I suppose it depends on why. How long have you been out of undergrad and working?

What caliber of undergrad did you go to? There is a difference between graduating from Princeton in two years versus graduating from a state university satelite campus in two years.

With all of those outstanding questions up in the air, I still think your chances at Harvard are pretty good. Yale is probably much less likely, unless you are able to write a really compelling app regarding your disadvantaged background and use it to explain your education and work trajectory.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby soj » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Your chances aren't that poor. Fwiw people with your numbers have been getting into harvard in the first wave. For probabilities, though, the best you can probably do is go on lsn and search applicants with numbers close to yours.
Last edited by soj on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanellex
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby fanellex » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:15 pm

I think the rule of thumb is that if you have at least the slightest chance at either then apply.

You've got access to the same data as the rest of us. So, decent shot? Not a shoe in with the LSAT thought. I've seen YHS hopefulls retake low 170s for highs.

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby seahawk32 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by seahawk32 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby seahawk32 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:26 pm

fanellex wrote:I think the rule of thumb is that if you have at least the slightest chance at either then apply.

You've got access to the same data as the rest of us. So, decent shot? Not a shoe in with the LSAT thought. I've seen YHS hopefulls retake low 170s for highs.



I took the LSAT in October, and decided retaking in December would set me too far back in the admission cycle for other schools. HLS and Y aren't my number one choices, but would certainly attend either if admitted. I ask, because applying to both is a pretty substantial amount of money. I received fee waivers to the other schools I'm interested in.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:45 pm

seahawk32 wrote:
bdubs wrote:The fact that you graduated in two years is probably a negative, but I suppose it depends on why. How long have you been out of undergrad and working?

What caliber of undergrad did you go to? There is a difference between graduating from Princeton in two years versus graduating from a state university satelite campus in two years.



Graduated early because I entered with 50+ credits out of high school. I'm only taking one year off.

My undergrad was average. I'm not certain, but probably outside of the Top 50.


I'd say you have a decent shot at Harvard. One year off is less than average and will probably mean that you're 3 years younger than the average entering student (unless you took at non-traditional path through undergrad). Not top 50 but not of questionable quality will be probably not raise any eyebrows at H.

If you're concerned with money I would tell you to apply to Harvard ten times over before I would recommend a shot in the dark at Yale.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:53 pm

seahawk32 wrote:
fanellex wrote:I think the rule of thumb is that if you have at least the slightest chance at either then apply.

You've got access to the same data as the rest of us. So, decent shot? Not a shoe in with the LSAT thought. I've seen YHS hopefulls retake low 170s for highs.



I took the LSAT in October, and decided retaking in December would set me too far back in the admission cycle for other schools. HLS and Y aren't my number one choices, but would certainly attend either if admitted. I ask, because applying to both is a pretty substantial amount of money. I received fee waivers to the other schools I'm interested in.

Both are definitely worth applying to. I think you'll be in line for a large scholarship at CCN as well

User avatar
Bodhi_mind
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: What are my chances at Harvard and Yale?

Postby Bodhi_mind » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Pretty good chance. Write a good app and throw your hat in the ring




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: packerboy31489 and 4 guests