harvard and columbia?!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cidergirl

Re: harvard and columbia?!

Postby cidergirl » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 pm

thanks guys. i am really struggling to write a strong ds and that is why i STILL haven't gotten those apps in. is it better for me to just send the apps of asap with a bad to mediocre ds? i am really struggling here because the topic is so personal and complicated for me, normally i'm good at getting things done on time if not early! the response of the one person i shared my ds with: "do you have to use this essay? it really doesn't do you justice or say what i think you are trying to say" :( ugh

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm

180asBreath wrote:This thread is confusing; are you all saying that one can apply with a December score, tell them to hold the application, take the Feb LSAT, and then have your application reviewed after the Feb LSAT comes back?

I thought Feb LSAT's aren't accepted for that year of admission, that they are only considered if one reports them in a LOCI.

Some schools will hold apps like this. However, this is a terrible strategy because by the time the Feb scores are released, schools will be full. Every school except YLS does rolling admissiins, and has tried to fill every seat by mid-February.

It's also a bad strategy for URMs with high 160s and decent GPAs, because their stats and background may be good enough to get scholarship awards from CCN and below (HYS only give need-based aid, which is often calculated after acceptance). OP might still have a chance at $$ if she gets her apps in soon, but by February the well will be dry for sure.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm

cidergirl wrote:thanks guys. i am really struggling to write a strong ds and that is why i STILL haven't gotten those apps in. is it better for me to just send the apps of asap with a bad to mediocre ds? i am really struggling here because the topic is so personal and complicated for me, normally i'm good at getting things done on time if not early! the response of the one person i shared my ds with: "do you have to use this essay? it really doesn't do you justice or say what i think you are trying to say" :( ugh

You don't have to use a DS if your PS already illustrates your diverse background. Otherwise it's a really good idea to have one.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:04 pm

One question:

Would a 12/26 applicant with a 4.0/165, who has been wait-listed, be in worse shape than a 3/1 applicant with a 4.0/170 - as the latter can be outright accepted or, if they were wait-listed, be in a better position on the wait-list?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm

180asBreath wrote:One question:

Would a 12/26 applicant with a 4.0/165, who has been wait-listed, be in worse shape than a 3/1 applicant with a 4.0/170 - as the latter can be outright accepted or, if they were wait-listed, be in a better position on the wait-list?

They're both not in great shape. However, you leave out the 12/26 (or sooner) 4.0/16x who has been outright accepted--he'd be in better shape than both.

Once you're on the WL you're facing harder odds of getting in. That's why applying early matters more, schools are more willing to accept outliers/splitters earlier in the cycle.

amandasys

Postby amandasys » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 pm

...Harvard

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 pm

placed on "hold" at columbia and not a peep from harvard. trying to decide if ajune retake is worth it or will help my scholly money and the schools im still waiting on! thoughts/feedback?

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Well guys, I'm on hold at both these places right now. I didn't end up taking the LSAT in February but am feeling too stressed and busy to take it in June. I really want to go to law school next year and am starting to think maybe I should take Berkeley and give up on the ivy schools. What do you guys think? I don't think it would be worth it to play the odds and see if my LSAT will go up enough to have a better cycle next year. Or I could not sleep for the next two months and take the June LSAT and wait a year if and only if I see a major score jump.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 pm

cidergirl wrote:Or I could not sleep for the next two months and take the June LSAT and wait a year if and only if I see a major score jump.

I would do this.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm

bk1 wrote:
cidergirl wrote:Or I could not sleep for the next two months and take the June LSAT and wait a year if and only if I see a major score jump.

I would do this.

That's the spirit! Maybe it'll even help me get off Harvard's waitlist if I ever get off hold

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Except the not sleeping dealio has already destroyed my reasoning capacities...Oh wait, it's the worrying about law school that drives the no sleep. ls worry-->no sleep-->no reasoning capacity-->subpar LSAT retake-->ls worry
circular reasoning much?
i need to just STOP this. immediately.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 pm

cidergirl wrote:Except the not sleeping dealio has already destroyed my reasoning capacities...Oh wait, it's the worrying about law school that drives the no sleep. ls worry-->no sleep-->no reasoning capacity-->subpar LSAT retake-->ls worry
circular reasoning much?

Imagine the ease of mind that will accompany a Harvard acceptance. You got this.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
cidergirl wrote:Except the not sleeping dealio has already destroyed my reasoning capacities...Oh wait, it's the worrying about law school that drives the no sleep. ls worry-->no sleep-->no reasoning capacity-->subpar LSAT retake-->ls worry
circular reasoning much?

Imagine the ease of mind that will accompany a Harvard acceptance. You got this.

True fact. Thank you for keeping the faith alive!

Return to “What are my chances?”