3.82/177 but applying LATE

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
89vision

Re: 3.82/177 but applying LATE

Postby 89vision » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:03 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
89vision wrote:
Right now is also not "late." There are a ton of threads on here stating that. I think those numbers indicate having a good chance, regardless of when you apply, based on their admissions stats and LSN, and I think the OP knows that. Again, this is not LATE in the cycle. It may not be "early" (although there are several threads in the admissions forum stating right now is still early/not LATE).

The OP said "I'll probably be getting all my apps in the last week before the deadline." because of a wait on LORs. The last week is late in the cycle.

When are the deadlines though? Which deadline? Some schools have different deadlines, one for FA and scholarships, one for applications. From my understanding, not all schools have the same deadlines. Isn't it also dependent on whether the particular school has rolling admissions? Doesn't Yale not have rolling admissions, so applying late doesn't have as much of an impact? Again, maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I've gathered perusing these threads.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:17 pm

89vision wrote:
When are the deadlines though? Which deadline? Some schools have different deadlines, one for FA and scholarships, one for applications. From my understanding, not all schools have the same deadlines. Isn't it also dependent on whether the particular school has rolling admissions? Doesn't Yale not have rolling admissions, so applying late doesn't have as much of an impact? Again, maybe I am mistaken, but that's what I've gathered perusing these threads.

They vary from Feb 1st to Feb 15 for application deadlines, but either way the last week of January is late for major scholarships at CCN and admissions to H&S. Yale is the only non-rolling one, the other 5 are rolling, especially Harvard which already accepted a decently large batch before Thanksgiving. OP could just apply to Yale this year and reapply if he doesn't get in, sure. But it'd be unwise to apply to CCN if he won't be happy with it, because they won't respond well if they accept him and he turns them down to re-apply to YHS.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
89vision wrote:

They vary from Feb 1st to Feb 14 for application deadlines, but either way the last week of January is late for major scholarships at CCN and admissions to H&S. Yale is the only non-rolling one, the other 5 are rolling, especially Harvard which already accepted a decently large batch before Thanksgiving.

This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't getting rid of rolling admissions increase a school's medians?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 pm

89vision wrote:

This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't getting rid of rolling admissions increase a school's medians?

They favor people with high numbers at the beginning of the cycle anyway. I think part of why they do rolling is for the general value of the turn-around and getting you earlier. People respond well to earlier admissions. Harvard is better off having some ppl relieved with their decision in November rather than making them wait until April.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
89vision wrote:

They favor people with high numbers at the beginning of the cycle anyway. I think part of why they do rolling is for the general value of the turn-around and getting you earlier. People respond well to earlier admissions. Harvard is better off having some ppl relieved with their decision in November rather than making them wait until April.

But doesn't getting your stuff in early help you if you have lower numbers? It seems like people with high numbers are probably re takers, and have their scores on Oct. or Dec. Again, I'm new at this whole process, but it seems like if that all had later deadlines, they would have higher admissions stats. For instance, Seton Hall doesn't start reviewing/offering decisions until Jan.15, although they are now accepting apps.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 pm

89vision wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
89vision wrote:

But doesn't getting your stuff in early help you if you have lower numbers? It seems like people with high numbers are probably re takers, and have their scores on Oct. or Dec. Again, I'm new at this whole process, but it seems like if that all had later deadlines, they would have higher admissions stats. For instance, Seton Hall doesn't start reviewing/offering decisions until Jan.15, although they are now accepting apps.

Getting stuff in early helps everyone because psychologically they're just willing to give up more acceptances when they know they have 880 versus 100 left. However, they do try to be somewhat more reserved in the beginning. Harvard defers to January people they're unsure about, including people with high numbers or who split to see what most of the pool is like first. I don't necessarily think people with high numbers are probably retakers.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 pm

OP here. This is probably getting ahead of myself, but let's assume the worst: I get dinged at all five places I apply (HYS, NYU, Columbia). Does anyone know how admissions committees look at applicants who are reapplying? Will they expect my application to have some significant changes to it?

t15orbust

Postby t15orbust » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 am

Bump.

I am in a similar situation. 3.8/175. I expect LoRs to go out first couple weeks in Jan. Would like to hear more on this topic.

expelliarmus

Postby expelliarmus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 am

I would recommend you to apply next cycle.
But if you really want to apply somewhere, it doesn't hurt to get your LoRs ready and apply to Yale - since they don't do rolling admissions, and you will not be penalized that way. Given your GPA and the fact that it is Yale, there is a possibility that you may get rejected - in which case, you will have to wait for another year.

That said, your chances might be dim at Harvard and Stanford, since your GPA isn't that great for the very top schools. If you care about money, then you probably have lost Rubenstein and Butler already.

However, there is no guarantee that you will get into HYS next year, or get Ruby or Butler. So if that's not something you are concerned about, and you would like to not "waste" any time, go ahead and apply right now.

Return to “What are my chances?”