I'm an idiot:( how much did i screw up my life?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
omninode

Re: I'm an idiot:( how much did i screw up my life?

Postby omninode » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 am

Have your mom call Harvard for you.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 am

i give this flame 10-20 posts before flaming out and/or getting banned

Christmas

Postby Christmas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:36 am

what if i just pay the application fees to schools i would like to attend and send off my applications by dec. 15? i would really like to go to law school next year...

re:vanderbilt, i got in but got zero scholarship money. i also cannot imagine myself living in nashville

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:38 am

Christmas wrote:didn't your mother ever teach you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

Your mother said that before the Al Gore invented the internet. You were the one coming to a forum for advice. There will not be a lot of punches pulled. Don't think though that the advice you receive isn't valid just because it's mean.

Christmas

Postby Christmas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 am

1) not a flame
2) will people please give me feedback on how to best address this situation with the schools i want to attend next year? as it stands, i am technically on leave of absence from the school at which i attended orientation.

the school probably expects me to come back next year, but i'm not sure if/when they will follow up. they told me to make a deposit to secure my return by the normal may deposit deadline. i need to figure out a way to gracefully cancel my leave of absence and gracefully explain away this blemish to other schools. legitimate suggestions would be helpful.

p.s. i don't tell people that got below a 160 on the lsat that they probably shouldn't go to law school bc they aren't smart enough to hack it...i don't tell the people that were arrested multiple times and try to blame it on an eating disorder that they are either too crazy or too criminal to ever dream of being attorneys. you people don't tell them that either. mercilessly and repeatedly making fun of mistakes i have ALREADY OWNED UP TO MULTIPLE TIMES is not useful feedback and does not belong on this forum. the end

Christmas

Postby Christmas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:50 am

no, i realized it earlier but figured i would deal with it later since i was an emotional wreck at the time and applications aren't due until february. last year i applied to all my schools on march 1 and april 1 (application deadlines) and still got many acceptances with money. (although according to some of these threads, applying close to deadline is the kiss of death.)

will someone please tell me how to proceed? i am going to try to make an appointment with a law school admissions counselor for next week, but in the meantime advice would be great.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 am

Christmas wrote:no, i realized it earlier but figured i would deal with it later since i was an emotional wreck at the time and applications aren't due until february. last year i applied to all my schools on march 1 and april 1 (application deadlines) and still got many acceptances with money. (although according to some of these threads, applying close to deadline is the kiss of death.)

will someone please tell me how to proceed? i am going to try to make an appointment with a law school admissions counselor for next week, but in the meantime advice would be great.

My one useful piece of advice: Don't apply at the deadline. I applied in February, and the best schools I got into were places where I was above the 75th on both LSAT and GPA.

Oh, and make damned certain that you actually want to go to law school before starting the whole mess again. My guess is that if you were wholly committed to it, you would have toughed it out at the old school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:58 am

Your mom called a school without telling you, an adult in his twenties, to request personal leave. YOUR MOM. CALLED YOUR SCHOOL WITHOUT TELLING YOU. ADULT IN HIS TWENTIES. There is something very wrong with all those ideas, and something very, very, very wrong with all of them put together.

OP: you need to take time off, start working, and develop some maturity. In terms of becoming an actual adult, there is no substitute for working a job and supporting yourself, getting out from under your parents' wings, and getting some freaking perspective. Right now, I can assure, you are in no shape to attend law school. People who have gotten out on their own, developed good habits and healthy lifestyles, will absolutely destroy (edit: you) grades-wise. (You will also be very unhappy during this time.)

Withdraw from school. Venture forth. Come back before your LSAT expires. You'll be glad you did. Might even make a good PS (this is a joke).

Good luck.
Last edited by MrKappus on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 am

Christmas wrote:1) not a flame
2) will people please give me feedback on how to best address this situation with the schools i want to attend next year? as it stands, i am technically on leave of absence from the school at which i attended orientation.

the school probably expects me to come back next year, but i'm not sure if/when they will follow up. they told me to make a deposit to secure my return by the normal may deposit deadline. i need to figure out a way to gracefully cancel my leave of absence and gracefully explain away this blemish to other schools. legitimate suggestions would be helpful.

p.s. i don't tell people that got below a 160 on the lsat that they probably shouldn't go to law school bc they aren't smart enough to hack it...i don't tell the people that were arrested multiple times and try to blame it on an eating disorder that they are either too crazy or too criminal to ever dream of being attorneys. you people don't tell them that either. mercilessly and repeatedly making fun of mistakes i have ALREADY OWNED UP TO MULTIPLE TIMES is not useful feedback and does not belong on this forum. the end

You might want to check that again.

But seriously, I don't see any "graceful" solution to your problem. I think you will have to either go back to your current school next fall, or forget about law school altogether (at least for a few years). Those higher ranked schools you want to attend will not look kindly on your situation, even if you somehow get out of the deal with your current school.

And you should probably do something about your relationship with your mother. It sounds unhealthy.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:02 am

Christmas wrote:no, i realized it earlier but figured i would deal with it later since i was an emotional wreck at the time and applications aren't due until february. last year i applied to all my schools on march 1 and april 1 (application deadlines) and still got many acceptances with money. (although according to some of these threads, applying close to deadline is the kiss of death.)

Would have got money from Vandy if you applied earlier.

chup

Postby chup » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:03 am

Shit flame. I'm disappointed in all these responses.

Return to “What are my chances?”