Character and Fitness Question, please help!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JenSilver

Character and Fitness Question, please help!

Postby JenSilver » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I was arrested twice for petty larceny (2004, 2007) and am freaking out about how this will affect my application cycle. The charges were dismissed, but most of the schools require reporting of any arrest. I think I have a decent shot at BU, BC, and maybe some CA schools that only ask about convictions. However, I am more interested in attending schools that require reporting of any arrest, especially Emory/Wake/UNC.

How will this impact my chances of admission and scholarships?

Stats: 165,166/3.8

I was suffering from serious mental issues at the time of the arrests, but am afraid of giving that explanation in the addendum because mental health problems seem to be stigmatized.

bitterpessimist

Re: Character and Fitness Question, please help!

Postby bitterpessimist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 pm

You've asked this question twice.

JenSilver

Postby JenSilver » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 pm

I thought I may have posted in the wrong forum the first time because nobody responded:(

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 am

i would just apply to where your numbers put you. It has been almost 5 years so it probably wont hurt

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:16 am

I'd be wary to cite mental illness as an excuse. I think that may raise way more questions than it answers. I would just spin it as though you were immature and have since grown.

HBK

Postby HBK » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:08 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I'd be wary to cite mental illness as an excuse. I think that may raise way more questions than it answers. I would just spin it as though you were immature and have since grown.

Why were the charges dropped? I wouldn't cop to any culpability unless the police reports show that you were probably guilty. Copping to theft is way worse than a DWI or assault charge as far as C&F is concerned.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:58 am

I think that if you were untreated at the time, and you've since begun treating your mental illness, then that's a good thing to explain in an addendum. I don't think a legitimate medical issue will be stigmatized as long as you can show that you've got it under control now.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 am

You're going to have to disclose your mental illness problems for C&F when you do your bar application anyway, so I would try to find an eloquent way of spinning things so that you don't sound unstable.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 am

won't the fact that op was arrested and not convicted be a strong point in her favor?

i recently read an article about a couple that was arrested for eating sandwiches in safewaY and forgetting to pay for them. The couple was separated from their baby, because "store policy" had a zero tolerance policy, but clearly these people were not criminals. the fact that you've been arrested twice makes it harder to make the case that your arrests werent based in suspicious behavior, but idk....i'm honestly surprised that schools ask to report arrests given this country's legal system

Return to “What are my chances?”