3.47, taking LSAT in Feb. UVA...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
willwash

3.47, taking LSAT in Feb. UVA...

Postby willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:57 pm

In-state, applying ED. 6 years Navy and waited tables during undergrad to support pregnant wife. Taking LSAT in Feb and wondering what LSAT I need for UVA to be a reach, target, and lock? EDIT: Any possibility of merit $$ with any LSAT score with that GPA?

BiglawOrBust

Re: 3.47, taking LSAT in Feb. UVA...

Postby BiglawOrBust » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Oh, my. You're in for it....

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:04 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:Oh, my. You're in for it....

Que? Is 3.47 that bad? Should I be setting my sights a little lower?

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 pm

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:08 pm

I just meant in regards to this thread. Most people are going to respond and yell at you for making one of these with no LSAT score, and others would castigate you for making one of these even if you did have an LSAT. They would instead direct you to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

But anyway, I'll bite. I take it you're applying next cycle? With a February LSAT administration, you probably don't stand much of a chance at being admitted because you're applying so late, so I would advise waiting if you're not already. UVA waitlists a lot of people, but with your GPA you'll probably need around a 170 or 171 to have a strong shot. Your military service is a definite plus, too, but it likely won't carry you too far. You're definitely not setting your sights too high if you can get the score, but breaking 170 is easier said than done. Study hard and UVA is definitely a possibility, broski!

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:10 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:I just meant in regards to this thread. Most people are going to respond and yell at you for making one of these with no LSAT score, and others would castigate you for making one of these even if you did have an LSAT. They would instead direct you to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

But anyway, I'll bite. I take it you're applying next cycle? With a February LSAT administration, you probably don't stand much of a chance at being admitted because you're applying so late, so I would advise waiting if you're not already. UVA waitlists a lot of people, but with your GPA you'll probably need around a 170 or 171 to have a strong shot. Your military service is a definite plus, too, but it likely won't carry you too far. You're definitely not setting your sights too high if you can get the score, but breaking 170 is easier said than done. Study hard and UVA is definitely a possibility, broski!

Should have clarified, I'll be applying for the 2013 cycle. So, with even 3.47 and 180 (obviously hypothetical!), is money a possiblity or is that too much to expect?

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Unfortunately, a cursory glance through the UVA page for last cycle tells me that the only people with similar GPAs who received scholarships were URMs. Would I be correct in assuming you aren't one?

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:18 pm

willwash wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:I just meant in regards to this thread. Most people are going to respond and yell at you for making one of these with no LSAT score, and others would castigate you for making one of these even if you did have an LSAT. They would instead direct you to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

Should have clarified, I'll be applying for the 2013 cycle. So, with even 3.47 and 180 (obviously hypothetical!), is money a possiblity or is that too much to expect?

You'd get money but you have to get the 180. Your lsat score can improve but not everyone has the ability to hit a 170, and nOt everyone has the ability to study enough to break a 160. I've seen many people who are just incapable of studying for consecutive hours by their own admission, but will just make law review no problem as is their plan.

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:18 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:Unfortunately, a cursory glance through the UVA page for last cycle tells me that the only people with similar GPAs who received scholarships were URMs. Would I be correct in assuming you aren't one?

Affirm, wouldn't even be posting this thread otherwise ;)

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Don't hold out for uva. You're only competitive if you hit the 170. Have u done a practice test? U don't have to be smart to hit a 170, you just cant be an idiot, which is why 97 percent of america struggles.

Return to “What are my chances?”