3.55/170, Relaistic Options and Realistic $$$ Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dsn32

Bronze

Re: 3.55/170, Relaistic Options and Realistic $$$

Post by dsn32 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Well, I certainly am smart enough to know the difference between criticism and constructive criticism, so no worries here!

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:57 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:What? People are told to retake the LSAT ad naseum, but it's not appropriate to tell someone to step up their game in undergrad?
Flame?

Or do you not realize that while people have the option to retake the LSAT, retaking their first bachelor's degree is impossible.

When (a majority of the) people say "retake the LSAT" they're trying to be helpful, not trying to be a jerk.

DefyingGravity

New

Post by DefyingGravity » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:05 pm

i think the poster means for ppl currently ENROLLED in UG, such as op, to up their game

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:54 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:i think the poster means for ppl currently ENROLLED in UG, such as op, to up their game
Right, but this advice is much like telling a fat person to eat less. Falls under the category of obvious and unhelpful. The question was about where the OP might be able to go given their current stats, not how they might be able to improve their chances. Certainly if OP improved their GPA they would be more competitive at better schools.

Also, if I weighed 50 lbs less or had $1,000,000 I might be more attractive to members of the opposite sex.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:i think the poster means for ppl currently ENROLLED in UG, such as op, to up their game
This.
thelaststraw05 wrote:Right, but this advice is much like telling a fat person to eat less. Falls under the category of obvious and unhelpful. The question was about where the OP might be able to go given their current stats, not how they might be able to improve their chances. Certainly if OP improved their GPA they would be more competitive at better schools.

Also, if I weighed 50 lbs less or had $1,000,000 I might be more attractive to members of the opposite sex.
You moron, it was constructive advice. Look, while law school admissions standards are not that competitive, a 3.5 or whatever OP has still is quite unimpressive. Obviously if he can get a good LSAT score like he has, then he possesses the intellectual wherewithal to succeed in college. I mean, a 3.5 is having half of your grades as As and the other half Bs for your entire undergraduate career (assuming no +/- grading). Unless OP has some overwhelming major(s), finishes in less than three years, etc. then I don't think it's unreasonable to tell him or her they should improve.

Also, a lot of people make threads questioning where they would "be able to go given their current stats, not how they might improve their chances." And what do they hear? RETAKE. Why don't you go copy your asinine post into one of those threads? (But, to be fair, some of those are deserved. When you make a thread with your 152 LSAT inquiring about your chances at Duquesne, I will tell you to retake.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Right, but this advice is much like telling a fat person to eat less. Falls under the category of obvious and unhelpful. The question was about where the OP might be able to go given their current stats, not how they might be able to improve their chances. Certainly if OP improved their GPA they would be more competitive at better schools.

You moron, it was constructive advice. Look, while law school admissions standards are not that competitive, a 3.5 or whatever OP has still is quite unimpressive. Obviously if he can get a good LSAT score like he has, then he possesses the intellectual wherewithal to succeed in college. I mean, a 3.5 is having half of your grades as As and the other half Bs for your entire undergraduate career (assuming no +/- grading). Unless OP has some overwhelming major(s), finishes in less than three years, etc. then I don't think it's unreasonable to tell him or her they should improve.

Also, a lot of people make threads questioning where they would "be able to go given their current stats, not how they might improve their chances." And what do they hear? RETAKE. Why don't you go copy your asinine post into one of those threads? (But, to be fair, some of those are deserved. When you make a thread with your 152 LSAT inquiring about your chances at Duquesne, I will tell you to retake.)
It sure didn't come off as constructive advice... telling someone to retake undergrad comes off as an asinine shortcut to giving real advice. Your delivery undercuts your advice if you had meant it to be constructive advice.

Also, I'm well aware of what a 3.5 is as I got into Michigan with a 3.45 (I assume I should retake college?).

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:23 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
BiglawOrBust wrote:

It sure didn't come off as constructive advice... telling someone to retake undergrad comes off as an asinine shortcut to giving real advice. Your delivery undercuts your advice if you had meant it to be constructive advice.

Also, I'm well aware of what a 3.5 is as I got into Michigan with a 3.45 (I assume I should retake college?).
And imagine where you could've gone if you had, slacker.

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 am

Lol, didn't realize people would get in such a tizzy about my GPA. Well needless to say, I realize raising my GPA (or my LSAT) would help with admissions, but to me it's not worth putting my life on hold for a year, taking pointless CC classes to raise my GPA and cheat the system, or any of the like. I'm confident my stats will place me at a school that one can succeed from, and I'm sure I will once I'm there. Thanks for all of the help (or comic relief!), but no need to argue over me any further!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”