UVA In-state medians?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
willwash

UVA In-state medians?

Postby willwash » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Anyone know them or how to get them?

Geneva

Re: UVA In-state medians?

Postby Geneva » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Great question, wish I had an answer for you. I feel like FIA means that these stats must be available somewhere...

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:55 pm

I wonder if they'd tell me if I called and asked? I've got a 3.47 and haven't taken the LSAT yet. Wondering what I need to be competetive at UVA...

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:41 pm

If they can't give you specific answers, they should at least be able to tell you where to look for the info. Can't hurt to call!

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm

any luck finding out uva in-state medians?

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Geneva wrote:any luck finding out uva in-state medians?

Just sent this email to them:

Greetings,

I am interested in applying to UVA Law for the fall 2013 admissions cycle and am seeking some clarification of your admissions statistics. I see on your website that the overall GPA and LSAT median and 25th/75th percentile range have been made public, but the numbers would seem to be very different for in-state versus out of state applicants. For example, your website states that, for the 2009-2010 application cycle, 678 Virginia residents competed for about 140 seats, which would yield an acceptance rate of approximately 20.6%, which is almost twice as high as the overall acceptance rate (this is not counting offers of admission made to Virginia residents who ultimately decline to matriculate--if there were any such cases this would yield an even higher acceptance rate).

Is it permissible for the GPA and LSAT statistics specifically of in-state applicants who were offered admission to be released? This information would greatly help me as I decide where to apply.

Very Respectfully,

William A Washburn, LT USN

Fingers crossed. In any case, the numbers don't lie: when 678 people compete for 140 spots, they have a decidedly easier time than the 7,204 other people who competed for the 213 other spots.

I'd be willing to bet that the discrepancy is so great that they will be unwilling to release the actual numbers.
Last edited by willwash on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:46 pm

You're never going to get them to admit that they accept lower numbers from in-state kids, let alone specific medians.

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:36 pm

5ky wrote:You're never going to get them to admit that they accept lower numbers from in-state kids, let alone specific medians.

I'm pretty sure you're right. And the numbers I posted above do kind of speak for themselves.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:40 pm

If you hit the LSAT median with a low gpa, you will be in with money. I don't think they look at in-staters like normal applicants but with an expectation of 2 LSAT points and .2 gpa lower as much as they look at the fact that if someone helps fulfill their instate quota and has one number that helps or maintains, they are basically auto-admit.

willwash

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Damn that was fast:

Lt. Washburn - Thanks for your email. We do not break out the stats for in-state vs. out-of-state, but the qualifications we're looking for in each pool are the same. As you observe, however, the chances of admission for an in-state applicant are much greater than an out-of-state applicant due to the fact that we aim to reserve roughly a third of our seats for VA Residents.

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law
434-924-6024

He even offered me a fee waiver if I wanted to apply this cycle and gave me the code.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 pm

willwash wrote:Damn that was fast:

Lt. Washburn - Thanks for your email. We do not break out the stats for in-state vs. out-of-state, but the qualifications we're looking for in each pool are the same. As you observe, however, the chances of admission for an in-state applicant are much greater than an out-of-state applicant due to the fact that we aim to reserve roughly a third of our seats for VA Residents.

Jason Dugas
Director of Admissions
University of Virginia School of Law
434-924-6024

He even offered me a fee waiver if I wanted to apply this cycle and gave me the code.

Wow, that's awesome. My hat's off to Mr. Dugas.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Nice! Unfortunately, I wonder how that bodes for applicants slightly below both medians...

Shoot3ball

Postby Shoot3ball » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you hit the LSAT median with a low gpa, you will be in with money. I don't think they look at in-staters like normal applicants but with an expectation of 2 LSAT points and .2 gpa lower as much as they look at the fact that if someone helps fulfill their instate quota and has one number that helps or maintains, they are basically auto-admit.

Is there any empirical data from LSN to support this notion?

Return to “What are my chances?”