Applying with an LSAC misconduct report

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Getting into Michigan after applying ED?

Yes
23%
No
74%
Defered
4%

Total votes: 53

Re: Applying with an LSAC misconduct report

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Is this about you?

Oh my God. Can I change my poll response to no??

ETA: Apparently you can. Response changed.
Last edited by 20130312 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Oh lord, how do we switch our vote?

Edit: Nvm, it's actually quite simple!

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Ouch........

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:49 pm

OP: You're applying ED to the law school which reported you to LSDAS for written & oral misrepresentation akin to fraud.

Consider applying to as many law schools as your budget permits. Is business school an option for you ?

And, in my opinion, this will be a serious C&F issue.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Oh my God. Can I change my poll response to no??

ETA: Apparently you can. Response changed.

In all fairness, it's probably not (if OP is being honest about it happening two years ago, that's a big if).

However,
CanadianWolf wrote:OP: You're applying ED to the law school which reported you to LSDAS for written & oral misrepresentation akin to fraud.

Consider applying to as many law schools as your budget permits. Is business school an option for you ?

And, in my opinion, this will be a serious C&F issue.
is TCR.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 pm

dextermorgan wrote:In all fairness, it's probably not (if OP is being honest about it happening two years ago, that's a big if).

He said he graduated from undergrad in 2010 and was applying for law school class of 2013. It seems the "two years" includes the time between now and starting at law school next fall.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

dude, is this seriously about u?...if it is, u got some serious balls to apply to the school that reported u

i dont mean balls in the positive sense btw

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Wow. Didn't one of the last sentences of the article say that the person in question may never practice law? OP you burned that bridge-- more like exploded it-- why would you reapply there? ( if the article isn't about OP, it might as well have been - describes his situation perfectly.)

I hope OP has a great spin on how he has changed and has the references to prove it. Too bad Mother Teresa is dead - working with her might have helped you.

Still, I just don't know if schools will forgive and give another chance if OP helps there numbers. I guess op has nothing to lose by reapplying. He will never know until he tries.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 pm

I suggest bringing on Tony Dungy as a "personal mentor" before you apply. He seems to help in these situations.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:43 am

sunynp wrote:Wow. Didn't one of the last sentences of the article say that the person in question may never practice law? .

What article? Link us please?

On the other hand, a convicted murderer is a 1L at Tulane on 2 scholarships, 1 from the NAACP (and he isn't black). The legal community seems to be willing to give people a chance to learn from their mistakes and move forward.

As for the specific school in question, well that may be a different story. I feel like it would reflect poorly on Mich to admit someone that lied to them the first shot around.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 am

I'm tired of these threads with OPs boasting high gpas and LSAT scores using horrible spelling.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:09 am

Quoted from the article posted before:

"Two: whatever you do, don’t lie. Here’s another aphorism: Honesty really is the best policy. What I’ve described is a pretty clear-cut case of deliberate misrepresentation, and in the absence of some astonishing explanation, I am compelled to report the candidate to the Law School Admissions Council for misconduct in the admissions process. That may mean that this candidate doesn’t go to law school at all."

Too bad law schools don't take their own advice or hold themselves to the same ethical standards. Look, the OP did something wrong, s/he acknowledges it, and I'm not defending that (although I do home them the best of luck for the future). I just can't stand such obvious holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 am

Mroberts3 wrote:Quoted from the article posted before:

"Two: whatever you do, don’t lie. Here’s another aphorism: Honesty really is the best policy. What I’ve described is a pretty clear-cut case of deliberate misrepresentation, and in the absence of some astonishing explanation, I am compelled to report the candidate to the Law School Admissions Council for misconduct in the admissions process. That may mean that this candidate doesn’t go to law school at all."

Too bad law schools don't take their own advice or hold themselves to the same ethical standards. Look, the OP did something wrong, s/he acknowledges it, and I'm not defending that (although I do home them the best of luck for the future). I just can't stand such obvious holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

I was actually thinking about when I re-read that post today. For example, the claim that Michigan doesn't negotiate aid... That is definitely false.

TMC116

Postby TMC116 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 am

How did they tell you about rescinding your acceptance? Did they just email you or what?

humbled2010

Postby humbled2010 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Thank you all for your posts, it has been eye opening to see what I will face as I begin my future career.

All I can do is show through my future actions that one bad act will not define who I am as a person, and yes, I assume the article by Dean Z is about me, while I have never conversed with her about it or made aware of its existence in any official capacity, it sure sounds like it was about me.

Just please, everyone reading this, take away one learning point, your integrity is all you have as a young man/woman, and it can be lost in one second, and it takes a lot more to recapture it than it took to lose it. It is easy to kick someone when they are down on a public message board, but the people who have sent me private messages of support... Know your words mean more than you can imagine.

As an update I was wait listed at Michigan, I am still deciding whether or not to place myself on the list, I think it might be best for me to start completely fresh at another school without my past actions hanging over my head, but that is a decision I will make myself. I do plan on contacting the Bar association of the state my law school is in as soon as I make a choice to inform them of what I did and while I am sure I will face questions, I am more sure of my ability to prove that I am a changed person to that aforementioned Bar association.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

I think you will probably be okay re:C&F down the line as long as the rest of your record is clean and you continue to practice what you preach. Re:Mich waiting list--that is actually a pretty big accomplishment given everything I have heard and read about Dean Z. The fact that Michigan is willing to consider you despite the past shows that there is a lot to be said for owning up to one's mistakes. At any rate, good luck with your decision.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:52 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
humbled2010 wrote:be greatful for every single offer of scholarships you recieve.

On a second thought, I hope everyone reading this is greatful for every offer of admission they recieve.

This is grate advice!

I think he hit it on the head with the bit about being greatful for what you recieve, and recognizing that it's a privlage. 180 smh

Jessuf wrote:I'm tired of these threads with OPs boasting high gpas and LSAT scores using horrible spelling.

Just goes to show you how far you can get in life without proper spelling/grammar... really, though, I'm with you on this, lol.

How did the schools find out the aid you were using to negotiate was non-existent? Was it an amount of money that just sounded "off"? Anyway, my bet is that someone will be hungry enough for that 180 to overlook your past transgressions - good luck, man.

deferred* btw... what in the actual fuck

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Good luck OP. I always appreciate a nice refresher course on ethics, especially a "real-life" situation like yours. It's inspiring to see you owning up to your mistakes and not giving up your law school dreams. I really hope Michigan accepts you off the waitlist since I think it having the school who wrote the complaint forgive you in the form of an acceptance would be grate.

ETA:
kerflux wrote:How did the schools find out the aid you were using to negotiate was non-existent? Was it an amount of money that just sounded "off"? Anyway, my bet is that someone will be hungry enough for that 180 to overlook your past transgressions - good luck, man.

Dean Z wrote:As I mulled over how to respond, I called my colleague in our Financial Aid Office for a little guidance, as she takes many such calls; I recited the figures he had given, and she observed that one figure just didn’t sound right, given what she knew about that school’s awards.

This led me to call that school to ask whether the number I had received was in error. (For the record: our admitted student website does alert candidates that we may contact other law schools to verify scholarship awards.) And that’s when I learned not merely that the figure was a little off, but that in fact, no scholarship award at all had been given.

Return to “What are my chances?”