Chances at Texas Tech?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm

--ImageRemoved--

looks ok

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:looks ok


Image

--ImageRemoved--

Uhhhhh, not okay.

User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:18 pm

wha thappen to u swilson, u used to post all the time on here back then

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:wha thappen to u swilson, u used to post all the time on here back then


finals, man. finals. although now that the site is picking up I'll be checking more often.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Jah'rakal wrote:looks ok


Uhhhhh, not okay.


In all seriousness, while the campus of tech is actually lovely, and lubbock is a fun town to visit and/or be an undergrad in, lubbock itself is pretty lousy, and it's in the middle of NOWHERE. All that aside, I can't imagine that the social benefits provided by Tech would outweigh the non-portability of the degree.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 pm

who chooses a law school based on the weather? dont go to chicago because it's too windy...dont go to berkley because they have earthquakes in california...dont go to columbia because it snows...dont go to miami because they have hurricanes

my advice: go to a law school that can get you where you want to go for as little debt as possible...simple as that

and who really cares about the city? won't you be studying anyway? lubbock has enough stuff to do during breaks from class and studying, without the significant detriments of a major city. it is cheap, there is little traffic, the crime rate is low, and people are friendly.

tech can place you in some major markets in the region...now if you want biglaw, i'd say you might want to look elsewhere because the chances of you being the top 5-10% are slim. but if you don't only see dollar signs when you think about employment, then tech may be a great option, especially if you get a scholarship.

id wager the vast amount of smack talk about lubbock is by people who have never laid foot in the city. im not saying the poster above is one of them, but i'd suggest you visit each school you are interested in to see for yourself what the school is about, rather than listening to people that post pictures of one bad storm that happens every decade or so.

wilson, tell us where you go to school, and i'll post a dozen pictures of bad weather in your city and question your sense

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:53 pm


User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
tech can place you in some major markets in the region...now if you want biglaw, i'd say you might want to look elsewhere because the chances of you being the top 5-10% are slim. but if you don't only see dollar signs when you think about employment, then tech may be a great option, especially if you get a scholarship.

id wager the vast amount of smack talk about lubbock is by people who have never laid foot in the city. im not saying the poster above is one of them, but i'd suggest you visit each school you are interested in to see for yourself what the school is about, rather than listening to people that post pictures of one bad storm that happens every decade or so.

wilson, tell us where you go to school, and i'll post a dozen pictures of bad weather in your city and question your sense



WOAH. chill. and get a sense of humor. i was KIDDING. if I really believed you pick a school based on weather I would have never left California for Ohio and then Texas. Or I would have gone to Hawaii. *grumble, grumble*

Did you see what I posted about the non-portability of the degree? THAT'S why you don't go to tech. Unless you can get some serious $$, or have a guaranteed job coming out (ha).

Your assertion that it can get you in to some "major markets" is kind of laughable. Yeah, Tech has a good alumni base, but unless you're in the top 10% you're not going to crack a "major market" in Texas, and a Tech degree isn't getting you anywhere outside of the lone star state. SMU is in Dallas, UofH is in Houston, UT is in Austin and everywhere else...what major Texas markets are left? Midland? San Antonio? El Paso? Not exactly major.

I agree with you -- go where you can get a decent degree for the least amount of money possible. However, as far as being able to get a "decent" degree out of a Texas school, Tech is pretty far down the list (UT, SMU/UH, Baylor, then Tech). OP, go in with your eyes open, and aim higher than Tech. Your GPA and softs will get you in at better, more portable and desirable schools.

ALSO: been to lubbock a million times. Well, not a million, but at least seven. Going back next weekend for graduation, actually. /smackdown
Last edited by swilson215 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 pm

PS - In case you didn't see it...

swilson215 wrote:In all seriousness, while the campus of tech is actually lovely, and lubbock is a fun town to visit and/or be an undergrad in, lubbock itself is pretty lousy, and it's in the middle of NOWHERE. All that aside, I can't imagine that the social benefits provided by Tech would outweigh the non-portability of the degree.

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby ClutchCity24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:35 pm



Thank you so much for this. I chose SMU and had no idea there were tornadoes here. Can you please point out a law school I can attend without fear of the weather because with finals I just don't have time to worry about the weather?

But seriously dude that wasn't the point of the post. Look at all of the factors and make the right choice. There is nothing wrong with Tech or Lubbock its just important to be aware of what that entails.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Did you see the part of my post where I said if you want big law tech may not be the place to go? And when I said market, I meant just that: you can get a job in those cities. I'll say it again in the hopes you'll catch it this time.

If you really truly want biglaw in those cities, then you should look more closely at those schools. However, if you want to do non-profit, government, energy, military, etc, then you can get a job in those markets/cities without being in the top 10% at tech. Again, to you "market" may mean biglaw. To me, the term is more broad and just means a legal job in those cities.

And sorry; I didn't mean to come across as attacking you specifically earlier (hence the part where I expressly said I wasn't). I'm just sick of people at smu (namely kalvano) thinking they know what is best for other people.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:


Thank you so much for this. I chose SMU and had no idea there were tornadoes here. Can you please point out a law school I can attend without fear of the weather because with finals I just don't have time to worry about the weather?

But seriously dude that wasn't the point of the post. Look at all of the factors and make the right choice. There is nothing wrong with Tech or Lubbock its just important to be aware of what that entails.


Couldn't agree more. But where we differ is what it entails. I'm trying to point out that not everyone wants biglaw, so a degree from tech isn't some sort of irrational choice like you seem to suggest. Again, if you want biglaw, then it may be irrational if you could go elsewhere. But not everyone wants biglaw.

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby ClutchCity24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 pm

I realize not everybody is in it for Biglaw. I was trying to say that the OP and all applicants need to analyze all the factors in making a decision. Even if a person wants to do some other area of the law they need to be aware that attending Tech at sticker is not the best decision. I will say the same thing about SMU. Attending at sticker is a huge amount of debt to be taking on especially in this economy. The point I was trying to make is that somebody looking at law school needs to take into account the job prospects of a school as well as the cost of attendance. Full ride at Tech may very well be a better decision then SMU at sticker.

And personally I would much rather be in a big city, but thats just me.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 pm

b.gump81 wrote:And sorry; I didn't mean to come across as attacking you specifically earlier (hence the part where I expressly said I wasn't). I'm just sick of people at smu (namely kalvano) thinking they know what is best for other people.


No, I get it. But this looks pretty personal, dude.

b.gump81 wrote:wilson, tell us where you go to school, and i'll post a dozen pictures of bad weather in your city and question your sense


It's okay.

Image

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby swilson215 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:58 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:I realize not everybody is in it for Biglaw. I was trying to say that the OP and all applicants need to analyze all the factors in making a decision. Even if a person wants to do some other area of the law they need to be aware that attending Tech at sticker is not the best decision. I will say the same thing about SMU. Attending at sticker is a huge amount of debt to be taking on especially in this economy. The point I was trying to make is that somebody looking at law school needs to take into account the job prospects of a school as well as the cost of attendance. Full ride at Tech may very well be a better decision then SMU at sticker.

And personally I would much rather be in a big city, but thats just me.


And, to be honest (and even you have to admit this, b.gump), with the OP's numbers and softs, OP has a shot at getting serious money at SMU or UH if he can increase his LSAT by a few points. And honestly, no one should settle for a 147. Especially with a GPA like OP's.

SO, to redirect the thread (once again), OP -- Tech isn't necessarily a *bad* choice. But you can do better. Retake, get a few point increase, apply early, and profit.

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby ClutchCity24 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:04 pm

swilson215 wrote:
ClutchCity24 wrote:I realize not everybody is in it for Biglaw. I was trying to say that the OP and all applicants need to analyze all the factors in making a decision. Even if a person wants to do some other area of the law they need to be aware that attending Tech at sticker is not the best decision. I will say the same thing about SMU. Attending at sticker is a huge amount of debt to be taking on especially in this economy. The point I was trying to make is that somebody looking at law school needs to take into account the job prospects of a school as well as the cost of attendance. Full ride at Tech may very well be a better decision then SMU at sticker.

And personally I would much rather be in a big city, but thats just me.


And, to be honest (and even you have to admit this, b.gump), with the OP's numbers and softs, OP has a shot at getting serious money at SMU or UH if he can increase his LSAT by a few points. And honestly, no one should settle for a 147. Especially with a GPA like OP's.

SO, to redirect the thread (once again), OP -- Tech isn't necessarily a *bad* choice. But you can do better. Retake, get a few point increase, apply early, and profit.


TITCR

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 pm

swilson215 wrote:
ClutchCity24 wrote:I realize not everybody is in it for Biglaw. I was trying to say that the OP and all applicants need to analyze all the factors in making a decision. Even if a person wants to do some other area of the law they need to be aware that attending Tech at sticker is not the best decision. I will say the same thing about SMU. Attending at sticker is a huge amount of debt to be taking on especially in this economy. The point I was trying to make is that somebody looking at law school needs to take into account the job prospects of a school as well as the cost of attendance. Full ride at Tech may very well be a better decision then SMU at sticker.

And personally I would much rather be in a big city, but thats just me.


And, to be honest (and even you have to admit this, b.gump), with the OP's numbers and softs, OP has a shot at getting serious money at SMU or UH if he can increase his LSAT by a few points. And honestly, no one should settle for a 147. Especially with a GPA like OP's.

SO, to redirect the thread (once again), OP -- Tech isn't necessarily a *bad* choice. But you can do better. Retake, get a few point increase, apply early, and profit.


Yeah I'll agree to that. I'd definitely suggest a retake. More options the better, but even with serious money from those schools, I'd still recommend cost/benefit analysis. If he gets the serious money at smu or uh, he'll more likely than not have close to a full ride at tech. And again if he has no inclination for biglaw, he can't beat going to school for practically free.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:35 am

b.gump81 wrote:Did you see the part of my post where I said if you want big law tech may not be the place to go? And when I said market, I meant just that: you can get a job in those cities. I'll say it again in the hopes you'll catch it this time.


If you want a job, period, don't go to Tech. The chances of finding gainful employment are vastly smaller than at the big three Texas schools.

b.gump81 wrote:If you really truly want biglaw in those cities, then you should look more closely at those schools. However, if you want to do non-profit, government, energy, military, etc, then you can get a job in those markets/cities without being in the top 10% at tech. Again, to you "market" may mean biglaw. To me, the term is more broad and just means a legal job in those cities.


I "can" get attacked by a rabid wolverine walking to my car. It doesn't mean it's likely. Same with Tech versus the Big Three. It's possible to get a job, however, your chances are vastly increased by going to UT / SMU / UofH.

No one is disputing that a job is possible from Tech. Just that the odds jump far more into the person's favor at other schools. And while it may be fine to get a degree for free, there is a large amount of opportunity cost you lose out on.

b.gump81 wrote:And sorry; I didn't mean to come across as attacking you specifically earlier (hence the part where I expressly said I wasn't). I'm just sick of people at smu (namely kalvano) thinking they know what is best for other people.


I never said I know what's best for other people. Never once have I jumped unbidden into a conversation about Tech and told someone "Don't go!" However, if someone asks if they should go to Tech, then the answer will be a resounding "no" barring some unusual circumstance such as wanting to spend the rest of their life in West Texas.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

kalvano wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:Did you see the part of my post where I said if you want big law tech may not be the place to go? And when I said market, I meant just that: you can get a job in those cities. I'll say it again in the hopes you'll catch it this time.


If you want a job, period, don't go to Tech. The chances of finding gainful employment are vastly smaller than at the big three Texas schools.

b.gump81 wrote:If you really truly want biglaw in those cities, then you should look more closely at those schools. However, if you want to do non-profit, government, energy, military, etc, then you can get a job in those markets/cities without being in the top 10% at tech. Again, to you "market" may mean biglaw. To me, the term is more broad and just means a legal job in those cities.


I "can" get attacked by a rabid wolverine walking to my car. It doesn't mean it's likely. Same with Tech versus the Big Three. It's possible to get a job, however, your chances are vastly increased by going to UT / SMU / UofH.

No one is disputing that a job is possible from Tech. Just that the odds jump far more into the person's favor at other schools. And while it may be fine to get a degree for free, there is a large amount of opportunity cost you lose out on.

b.gump81 wrote:And sorry; I didn't mean to come across as attacking you specifically earlier (hence the part where I expressly said I wasn't). I'm just sick of people at smu (namely kalvano) thinking they know what is best for other people.


I never said I know what's best for other people. Never once have I jumped unbidden into a conversation about Tech and told someone "Don't go!" However, if someone asks if they should go to Tech, then the answer will be a resounding "no" barring some unusual circumstance such as wanting to spend the rest of their life in West Texas.


The best evidence we have about gainful employment is from the school's own reported data. Are these numbers skewed? Most likely, but smu is just as guilty of adjusting the numbers as any other school in this economy.

And to an older guy with a lot of family money, who would be happy being stuck around the middle of his class, smu is a completely great choice. Don't get me wrong, if you want to end up in Dallas, don't mind being over $100,000 in debt, and may want biglaw, then smu is your best option. However, if you don't want to be over $100,000 in debt because you know u would rather do government, energy, non-profit, or whatever rather than biglaw, then tech should be an option. Is it better than smu in that situation? I have no clue. That is for each applicant to decide, not some snobby rich, older 2l at smu and not some poor 2l at tech. But unless kalvano can produce some actual numbers about employment, I'd take his post as a little biased
Last edited by b.gump81 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:29 am

Also as kind of a side note since we are on the topic of Dallas employment, tech is starting a Dallas/fort worth externship program, which will start next fall. 16 (more as the program gets more established) students a year will spend a semester in Dallas or forth worth as a full time student, working to get credit. Pretty excited about it

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby ClutchCity24 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 pm

The fact that your "funny" side note started off with you being pretty sure you know the person is in really poor taste. Since you are not sure, it would be best to just stay silent. Even if you were 100% sure you need to stop attacking people. Things get around in the legal community and making enemies is not the best decision especially if you have plans to potentially work in Dallas.

If you want to talk about job prospects, cost/benefit analysis, the campus, the professors, or any of that stuff go ahead. I am sure there are a ton of people who would appreciate any insight they can get.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:29 pm

ClutchCity24 wrote:The fact that your "funny" side note started off with you being pretty sure you know the person is in really poor taste. Since you are not sure, it would be best to just stay silent. Even if you were 100% sure you need to stop attacking people. Things get around in the legal community and making enemies is not the best decision especially if you have plans to potentially work in Dallas.

If you want to talk about job prospects, cost/benefit analysis, the campus, the professors, or any of that stuff go ahead. I am sure there are a ton of people who would appreciate any insight they can get.


there, i took it out of my earlier post. by "pretty sure" i meant nearly 100%, but i think you are right: it was unnecessary and tacky to make a joke at his expense.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 pm

b.gump81 wrote:not some snobby rich, older 2l at smu and not some poor 2l at tech.


I'm rich? Holy shit, I wish I had known that, I wouldn't have gone to lawl skool. Maybe that is my Audi R8 in the law school garage and I just forgot about it.

Also, "snobby" would imply that I think SMU is inherently better for non-objective reasons than Tech. I don't. In fact, I've been fairly critical of SMU on a lot of key points. But it's not "snobby" to say that your chances of employment in the field you want to be in are greatly increased by going to one school over another. I don't get all pissy when people are advised to go to UT over SMU. It's an objectively better school for gaining employment.

If your personal identity and sense of well-being is so closely tied to attending Tech that you perceive any slight on the school to be an attack against you, then son, I can do nothing for you.


Also, as to your "funny side note", I don't know anyone at Tech at all. So unless you somehow know who I am without me knowing you (certainly possible), that would be an interesting trick. But I've never really made any secret of who I am. And I worked Legal Aid to get my public service requirement out of the way last summer, and then for a judge. Maybe not the most "prestigious" thing on the planet, but potential employers sure seem to like seeing "The Honorable..." on my resume, and it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys on speed with paintball guns.

thedude1982
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby thedude1982 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Lots of very interesting points being made...A big reason I want to go to Tech is because I would be able to use the Hazelwood Act which is a state program in Texas which basically exempts tuition from public universities (it can be used for Law School, Med School, etc...) I believe it would be foolish to not try and go to Law School, when I would be blessed with such a great opportunity!! The area of law that I am interested in practicing is Immigration Law (and before everyone starts yelling at me that Immigration Lawyers are among the lowest paid attorneys out there...I know that, and actually where I live they make a pretty decent salary because I literally live right on the border of Texas and Mexico). I realized I wanted to be an Immigration Lawyer because I used to work for the U.S. Border Patrol and I saw a lot of poor people being taken advantage of by lawyers who would just take these peoples money even though they had no intention of trying to help them...( I don't mean to give the impression that I think of myself as saintly or anything...I do want to earn a good living for my family and I, but seeing the plight of people that could very well have been my parents...it really did have an impact on me) so anyways, I DO want to work in Texas, and I do want to earn a good living (but money is not the sole factor). Anyway, thanks to all for their opinions, I'm hoping to hear something soon.

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: Chances at Texas Tech?

Postby ClutchCity24 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:47 pm

OP retake the LSAT. With that GPA you owe it to yourself to give it another shot (with some study time). The LSAT is a learnable test and if you can increase that score at the very least you could look into UH. I took a year off just so that I could retake the LSAT and it was the best decision I could have made.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry4bfast and 5 guests