Chances for Mid-1L Dropout Reapplying

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Hypothetical

Chances for Mid-1L Dropout Reapplying

Postby Hypothetical » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:58 am

Attended 1L at a T14, but dropped out in the second semester due to not wanting to be a lawyer. That was probably irrational. Truth be told, I still do not want to be a lawyer, but as it turns out, everything is relative. On a DO NOT WANT scale ranging from 1 to 10, being a lawyer is somewhere around a 5, while being an unemployed/underemployed homeless person rates darn near a 10.

Nothing like an entry-level job search to make a legal job search seem downright convivial. Not that TLSers are known for their blithe optimism about the legal job market, but as far as I know, law firms are not inviting people to interviews in order to rob them, murder them, and bury them in shallow graves. But, I digress.

09/10 cycle I applied around February due to a delayed LoR. 3.5 TTT UG GPA, 172 LSAT. Middling softs. I've never read my LoRs, but they didn't keep me from getting into T14, so I assume they were flattering. Not offered any money, but obviously I was late to the party and only applied T14+BC/BU/Fordham.

My only grades from 1L are from first semester, and were B x3 and B- x2. Mediocre, obviously, but not repulsive. I did not establish lasting relationships with profs that are likely to parlay into LoRs. I could probably get a professor who you know by reputation to write me a letter saying that I attended his class and didn't embarrass myself excessively, but that's about it.

The strategy that I'm considering is to reapply and target a T1 or T2 state school, where my below average ambition (at least by TLS standards) will pair nicely with low tuition and mid-size job markets. You'd think I would have done that the first time. Yet here we are.

My basic questions are:
  • What are my chances for getting in/getting money around the 30s in T1? How about T2?
  • If you don't think I'll get in, how would you feel about my chances with in-state privileges at a state school with over 50% in-state admits?
  • Would it be possible/advisable to recycle my UG LoRs from a couple of years ago?
  • Any other feedback about reapplying after dropping out would be more than welcome.

Thanks for your time. Strangely, you TLSers can be some of the most informative misanthropes on the internets. Please believe that I say that with love.

IAFG

Re: Chances for Mid-1L Dropout Reapplying

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:23 am

It's supposed to be an easier cycle due to a top in apps, and those are some solid numbers, so there might be a school that's willing to give you a second chance. That said, your 1L GPA (2.8-ish?) does seem pretty abysmal to me. That's gotta be what, bottom 10%? Possibly worse?

ETA: for some reason I didn't catch that you're aiming considerably lower this time. I absolutely think you could land a T1 but you're probably in for one of the least predictable cycles ever.

Hypothetical

Postby Hypothetical » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:28 am

IAFG wrote:It's supposed to be an easier cycle due to a top in apps, and those are some solid numbers, so there might be a school that's willing to give you a second chance. That said, your 1L GPA (2.8-ish?) does seem pretty abysmal to me. That's gotta be what, bottom 10%? Possibly worse?

For the sake of argument, 2.8 would put you at or above the curve at many law schools. It's true that my class rank was poor, though. I honestly don't know what it was, but it's definitely poor and I don't have any extraordinary narrative about dead relatives or broken limbs to explain it away.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:53 am

Do you feel like you don't have any choice but to go back to school? Have you considered other (cheaper) academic programs? What cities have you been looking for jobs in?

Ideally, instead of collecting degrees and debt, you'd try a couple entry-level jobs and try to develop a sense direction, but I understand that the entry-level job market sucks most places.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 am

You are going to have to overcome the impression that you dropped out because you had bad grades. You should explainwhy you feel you can improve this time. (Also, be sure that you are going to law school to be a lawyer. As I'm sure you know you don't do well, itcan be hard to get jobs and paying back any loans may be difficult.)

You should come up with some reasons you are passionate about law. I know you wont go with- I found entry level jobs are worse than law school.

Good luck. It is difficult to predict how your cycle will play out. Have you considered getting advice from the admissions office of the school you dropped out of ?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:22 am

Dude, don't do this to yourself. Best case scenario is you get into t30 and have a miserable life as a lawyer. Obviously worst case is even worse. My advice: network like crazy and get a job in a field you think you may be passionate about.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Law school isn't a way to hide from the economic realities of today's world...stop being a professional student and get a job.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Hypothetical wrote:
IAFG wrote:It's supposed to be an easier cycle due to a top in apps, and those are some solid numbers, so there might be a school that's willing to give you a second chance. That said, your 1L GPA (2.8-ish?) does seem pretty abysmal to me. That's gotta be what, bottom 10%? Possibly worse?

For the sake of argument, 2.8 would put you at or above the curve at many law schools. It's true that my class rank was poor, though. I honestly don't know what it was, but it's definitely poor and I don't have any extraordinary narrative about dead relatives or broken limbs to explain it away.

Not in the T14. T1 schools know what other schools curve to.

Return to “What are my chances?”