Chances at UChi off the WL (3.95/168/WE)?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rickfox

Chances at UChi off the WL (3.95/168/WE)?

Postby rickfox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:37 pm

In at UM (Summer Start), Cornell, and UCLA with 90k & in state tuition. Barring a miracle getting into NYU ED or UofC outright, I'm thinking of asking Dean Z to transfer me into fall start, so I can fight tooth and nail to scrape in off the UofC WL. I saw some TLSers with my stats getting in late off the Chi WL. Also I live in Chicago, so--practically--I could make all kinds of campus visits for LOCIs & just move down to Hyde Park last minute without a huge hassel. Does this plan make sense? Is it hard and/or unethical to try and go from UM SS to Fall Start (since I put down I'd be OK with both on my app)? I feel like I'd resent myself for not riding out a WL at UC, if I have even a small chance at sliding in last minute. Genuinely confused and looking for TLS wisdom, lol. tyia.

soj

Re: Chances at UChi off the WL (3.95/168/WE)?

Postby soj » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 pm

People with stats like yours got into Chicago off the WL last summer. It depends on what medians Chicago is aiming for this year. It was less predictable last year because they suddenly had a lot of money to play with that they didn't have in previous years. This year, if they try to go for the 172 median (as they apparently did last year before giving up and going for a higher GPA median instead), and actually make it, you might not get in off the WL. If they go for a 171 median with a higher GPA median, your chances are good.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I would not bank on getting Mich to transfer you to fall start since you don't have a solid excuse other than trying to get into some other school. Might be your gamble come spring: go to Mich and wonder what if about Chicago or bypass Mich for the shot of getting in off Chi's waitlist, with the very real possibility that you miss out on all of them.

rickfox

Postby rickfox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Won't it be just as hard if, if not harder for them to hit 172 this year (bc apps are down)?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 pm

A lot of different factors are at play, so it's hard to tell. Chicago might, for instance, be more forgiving of splitters this year, which could push them over the edge for that 172.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:09 am

soj wrote:A lot of different factors are at play, so it's hard to tell. Chicago might, for instance, be more forgiving of splitters this year, which could push them over the edge for that 172.

Sounds good to me. They probably could let the GPA median drop to ~3.8, still well above NYU/CLS, and bring the LSAT median up to 172.

Return to “What are my chances?”