a

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
faisalwrf

a

Postby faisalwrf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:55 pm

a
Last edited by faisalwrf on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transferthrowaway

Re: 2.4/155 Vet, Multiple internships, minority

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Zero chance of getting into NYU.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Zero chance of getting into NYU.

TCR.

Also, the best school in NYC you could get into? NYLS. But do not go to NYLS.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faisalwrf

a

Postby faisalwrf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 pm

a
Last edited by faisalwrf on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 pm

faisalwrf wrote:Im pakistani, way more a minority than all listed.

Also NYLS has one of the highest bar passes in NYC, 93.6% but iv been getting mixed responses on it. Why should I not go there? What if it is the only school accepting in NYC?

Being Pakistani won't get you an admissions boost. And NYLS is an absolute shithole. An unmitigated disaster of a school. Bar passage rate means nothing in terms of school quality; good schools don't even teach to the bar since a decent student can learn enough to pass the bar just from a bar prep course.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:19 pm

faisalwrf wrote:Also NYLS has one of the highest bar passes in NYC, 93.6% but iv been getting mixed responses on it. Why should I not go there? What if it is the only school accepting in NYC?

1. Bar passage rates are not even in the top 3 or 5 reasons to attend a school.
2. NYLS is wildly expensive for its ranking, has a huge cost of attendance and any scholarships typically come with a ridiculous stipulations. With your numbers, even if you are accepted, you will receive little to no scholarship anyway.
3. It is well-documented that NYLS more than likely falsified employment data, and is currently named in a class-action lawsuit among 15 or so other schools.
4. The huge debt you will incur is not an investment because the chances of you getting a job that can pay back those loans are very low.
5. Even if the GI bill affords you full tuition, don't go due to poor job prospects. Even if you graduate without debt, you will have lost the opportunity cost for 3 years.

If NYLS is the only school you get into in NYC, do not go. Personally, the lowest I would go in NYC is Fordham with at least a little bit of scholarship money (at the very least enough that would mitigate the cost of living).

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:20 pm

faisalwrf wrote:Im pakistani, way more a minority than all listed.

No.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:34 pm

To get a boost for being a minority in the law school application process, you have to be an UNDER-REPRESENTED minority.

Example, with made-up numbers:

African American:
10% of US population, 4% of law school students = UNDER-represented => gets a boost

Middle-eastern:
2% of US population, 3% of law school students = OVER-represented => no boost

Asian:
5% of US population, 10% of law school students = way OVER-represented => no boost

No boost for being Pakistani, since they are not under-represented in law school when compared to the country's population at large.

faisalwrf

a

Postby faisalwrf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:36 pm

a
Last edited by faisalwrf on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

NYLS isn't bad, but i think u can do even better than that

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:NYLS is bad

FTFY

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

study hard man and retake. I know it sucks, but most of us did it. Go to LSAT prep thread and get started good luck! Btw, Cardozo at Yeshiva can happen with a very successful retake, but there is always CUNY Queens. But you should def retake. u got GI Bill still?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:55 pm

faisalwrf wrote:Hello all,

I have a 2.4 GPA in Business, 155 on the LSAT, U.S. Army veteran, extensive travel experience, ethnic minority, internships with the DA's office.

What are my chances of getting into NYU? or what is the best law school you think I can get into in New York City, must be in NYC.

Thank you!

Your GPA is crushing you. You need to blow the LSAT out of the water. If your 155 only involved a little bit of prep, then I am certain you can do much better.

U.S. Army Veteran, what does that mean. Were you an officer or enlisted? Did you deploy? How many times and were you a combat arms MOS? How long were you in? Did you lead soldiers? The whole Army Vet thing has a very wide range of qualifies that go with it. If you did 2 years in the RoK as a 92Y, thats not a boost.

Travel experience... means... nothing...... and if you even bother mentioning the fact that you are well traveled on a resume or PS in anything other than a qualifying comment for something else, it looks nothing more than desperate.

As you've been told, you aren't a URM.

You're internships won't help you in the process. At best, they will give some context as to why you want to go to LS.

Increase your score by 20 points and go to NU. That's about your best hope for a successful career.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:59 pm

EMZE wrote:

Travel experience... means... nothing...... and if you even bother mentioning the fact that you are well traveled on a resume or PS in anything other than a qualifying comment for something else, it looks nothing more than desperate.

Eh, I list it under Hobbies/Interests. Has spawned a few good convos about history.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 am

blowhard wrote:
EMZE wrote:

Eh, I list it under Hobbies/Interests. Has spawned a few good convos about history.

Right, as a way of qualifying what you do in your free time. To hope that it makes an applicant unique is a long shot unless it reads traveled to Zaire to build schools.

faisalwrf

Postby faisalwrf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 pm

a
Last edited by faisalwrf on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:57 pm

You're story sounds a bit off.

Your were an E4 CPL as a 68W? That would mean you were a company senior medic. But you never deployed? And they made you a company senior medic? Or were you an E4 SPC and just saying you were a junior NCO while a SPC is in fact not an NCO.

How did you make it to E4 and not deploy? Unless you came in with college, made your E4 immediately, and got out after 2 years, I don't understand how you could have been in, in this day and age, and not have deployed.

You "volunteered" at the WTU/WTB? That doesn't sound right. Volunteering through the Army comes in the form of BMM "borrowed military manpower" and they do not assign individuals to the WTU for "volunteer" work. Do you mean to say that you were you assigned to work there?

You volunteered at TDS to fight for soldiers rights? TDS is a place for soldiers to go to, to get legal representation when they are facing disciplinary action. You are saying that in the midst of a contingent of lawyers and paralegals, they had a 68W there, fighting for the rights of soldiers? An E4 no less? And, TDS doesn't "fight for soldiers rights." It defends them when they are being courts martialed. You make it sound like you collaborated with the VA and marched on congress.

I am not sure if you are just trying to sugar coat your resume or what, but as someone with more than a couple years in the Army, it sounds bogus. I hope I am wrong about everything, since it is despicable to lie on your resume about your service using the few acronyms you remember from when you served, but everything about what you are saying seems to be out of place.

But to answer your question, no, nothing you said will help you get in to NYU

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 am

My guess would be the biggest question you should ask yourself is why you want to be a lawyer. If you have some sort of arrangement with your DA friend to have a job when you get out (aka you're just checking the box of getting a J.D.) then I don't imagine it would matter much which law school you attend.

Also, platoon guide? The only time I ever heard that referred to was in basic training (well, OSUT but still) so I really don't think that will count for much. If it has an alternative meaning then maybe.

faisalwrf

Postby faisalwrf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 pm

a
Last edited by faisalwrf on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californihuh

Postby californihuh » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 am

Too lazy to check the regs (it's 5:40 AM and haven't slept yet), but I believe the minimum requirements to be considered a "veteran" is that you need to be discharged w/ a DD214 after time-in-service (or with disability), completed basic & AIT (which you claimed already), AND arrive at A duty station...?

Or you could have deployed to an AOR deemed to be hazardous without having necessarily completed that deployment due to issues that don't require UCMJ.

Not trying to be an asshole, but there's people out there who will take action against you for claiming something that you're not entitled to be/have been. Granted, you're not claiming to be SEAL or SF, your experience wouldn't classify as one of those "gray-areas", IE: Are you considered Airborne if you've never been to AB-school but yet in an AB-unit? Eligibility for being a "veteran" (for official purposes, anyways) is probably more cut-and-dry than that.

But, kudos to you for being persistent. Good luck with your plans.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 am

californihuh wrote:Too lazy to check the regs (it's 5:40 AM and haven't slept yet), but I believe the minimum requirements to be considered a "veteran" is that you need to be discharged w/ a DD214 after time-in-service (or with disability), completed basic & AIT (which you claimed already), AND arrive at A duty station...?

Or you could have deployed to an AOR deemed to be hazardous without having necessarily completed that deployment due to issues that don't require UCMJ.

Not trying to be an asshole, but there's people out there who will take action against you for claiming something that you're not entitled to be/have been. Granted, you're not claiming to be SEAL or SF, your experience wouldn't classify as one of those "gray-areas", IE: Are you considered Airborne if you've never been to AB-school but yet in an AB-unit? Eligibility for being a "veteran" (for official purposes, anyways) is probably more cut-and-dry than that.

Yeah, pretty sure separation before duty station is treated like you were never in.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 am

blowhard wrote:
californihuh wrote:Too lazy to check the regs (it's 5:40 AM and haven't slept yet), but I believe the minimum requirements to be considered a "veteran" is that you need to be discharged w/ a DD214 after time-in-service (or with disability), completed basic & AIT (which you claimed already), AND arrive at A duty station...?

Yeah, pretty sure separation before duty station is treated like you were never in.

Oh that sucks. But that might be the case when applying for fed jobs or something and a dd214 is needed. But on the lsac application i would call him a veteran because it only asks if you served active duty days, which anyone who wears a uniform has done due to basic and whatever else.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 am

btw, vet status does very little anyway. Study for June, retake.

lawscrool

Postby lawscrool » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 am

By regulation or not, you are not a veteran and claiming to be so without even getting out of AIT is disgraceful.

Being a veteran can help if it adds to your story. For example, deployed multiple times to Afghanistan and did XYZ, leading to a decision to become a lawyer can certainly help. It's not going to change the world, but it will help. Sitting at AIT without a job and somehow helping Soldiers getting kicked out for doing drugs, failing pt test, or being overweight... all as a medic is probably not going to help.

Return to “What are my chances?”