in @ UT, out @ UVA... Chances for rest of T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
horrorbusiness

Silver

Re: in @ UT, out @ UVA... Chances for rest of T14?

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 pm

bk187 wrote:Because I'd rather engage in this derpfest than read another page of CivPro I'll try to be useful. FWIW I am a URM who shares similar numbers with barely a dozen other URMs on LSN when looking over the past 5 years of data (not to mentions that even when expanding to non-URMs the pickings are fairly slim).

LSN is still the most valuable resource there is for URMs which basically obviates the need even for URMs to make these types of threads. A collection of data is always going to be more useful than random one-off anecdotes from people who almost always already have their data on LSN anyways. In fact I'd argue that since URM cycles are harder to predict that anecdotal responses are even less helpful for URMs than LSN data (though there is a decent argument that URM anecdotes are worthwhile for establishing the bounds of what is possible and where it would be worth an app fee even on a very small chance of admission). That being said, this is still true when you get into different URM subgroups. Are they given differing boosts? To a certain extent they are, but it isn't so definite that you can demarcate exactly who gets a boost of X and who gets a boost of Y. To go even further, subdivision creates even more problems due to the already sparse amount of URMs out there so that once you start looking for a specific URM subgroup for a specific data range you could be looking at few to none who are within that range. The best thing to do is to use all the URM data points in a given range even if they are not your URM subgroup and of course to take it with a grain of salt. Could they be slightly off for you? Of course they can, but they really are the best source of data out there.

URMs will be fine with doing LSN research without the need to make a thread about it. While the data is not as full as one might like it, it is there in a full enough fashion that almost every URM can figure it out given enough parsing. The only time I could think there would be an issue is when there is a fake LSN profile (tends to happen more with people making fake URM profiles than with fake non-URM profiles), though I believe that most of those profiles are fairly straightforward and obvious.
I very much agree. To give a little context to my annoyance with the guy that posted a link to LSN: OP already has an account on LSN, and I know this because I'm watching it because he has similar numbers to me. That's probably why I wrote what I did. I just feel it's very dismissive and unfriendly to post a link to LSN without saying anything else, especially given the concerns that URMs face when looking for information.

JMJ: operative word in my post was "trying". Something about hitting someone with an LSN link and nothing else just annoys me, I must admit. Ironically, that was probably the only thing in this thread that actually made me mad.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
bk187 wrote:Because I'd rather engage in this derpfest than read another page of CivPro I'll try to be useful. FWIW I am a URM who shares similar numbers with barely a dozen other URMs on LSN when looking over the past 5 years of data (not to mentions that even when expanding to non-URMs the pickings are fairly slim).

LSN is still the most valuable resource there is for URMs which basically obviates the need even for URMs to make these types of threads. A collection of data is always going to be more useful than random one-off anecdotes from people who almost always already have their data on LSN anyways. In fact I'd argue that since URM cycles are harder to predict that anecdotal responses are even less helpful for URMs than LSN data (though there is a decent argument that URM anecdotes are worthwhile for establishing the bounds of what is possible and where it would be worth an app fee even on a very small chance of admission). That being said, this is still true when you get into different URM subgroups. Are they given differing boosts? To a certain extent they are, but it isn't so definite that you can demarcate exactly who gets a boost of X and who gets a boost of Y. To go even further, subdivision creates even more problems due to the already sparse amount of URMs out there so that once you start looking for a specific URM subgroup for a specific data range you could be looking at few to none who are within that range. The best thing to do is to use all the URM data points in a given range even if they are not your URM subgroup and of course to take it with a grain of salt. Could they be slightly off for you? Of course they can, but they really are the best source of data out there.

URMs will be fine with doing LSN research without the need to make a thread about it. While the data is not as full as one might like it, it is there in a full enough fashion that almost every URM can figure it out given enough parsing. The only time I could think there would be an issue is when there is a fake LSN profile (tends to happen more with people making fake URM profiles than with fake non-URM profiles), though I believe that most of those profiles are fairly straightforward and obvious.
I very much agree. To give a little context to my annoyance with the guy that posted a link to LSN: OP already has an account on LSN, and I know this because I'm watching it because he has similar numbers to me. That's probably why I wrote what I did. I just feel it's very dismissive and unfriendly to post a link to LSN without saying anything else, especially given the concerns that URMs face when looking for information.

JMJ: operative word in my post was "trying". Something about hitting someone with an LSN link and nothing else just annoys me, I must admit. Ironically, that was probably the only thing in this thread that actually made me mad.
Dude, you just started arguing with everyone, which took the focus of the thread away from what OP was asking. If you hadn't bitched people out and just answered the question, or, fuck, even left the thread alone, it would have probably turned out much more helpful for the OP. So no, you really weren't trying, except for maybe in your head, to help the OP

OP, you are probably in decent shape for some of the lower T14. MA isn't the biggest of URM boosts, but will likely get you something of M,D,C,G

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:

Dude, you just started arguing with everyone, which took the focus of the thread away from what OP was asking. If you hadn't bitched people out and just answered the question, or, fuck, even left the thread alone, it would have probably turned out much more helpful for the OP. So no, you really weren't trying, except for maybe in your head, to help the OP

OP, you are probably in decent shape for some of the lower T14. MA isn't the biggest of URM boosts, but will likely get you something of M,D,C,G
M,D,C,G=?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown
schools with low standards relative to the rest of the T14

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:06 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: Dude, you just started arguing with everyone, which took the focus of the thread away from what OP was asking.
Except that didn't happen. I was trying to have a spirited debate with InGoodFaith before your pal crumpetsandtea had to grace the thread with a trollish meme and derail it.
JamMasterJ wrote: If you hadn't bitched people out and just answered the question, or, fuck, even left the thread alone, it would have probably turned out much more helpful for the OP.
Turned out much more helpful? Uhh.. no. No one else would have replied and the thread would've been dead in the water. I think you can see that would've been the case.

And these trite little posts of "YA ULL PROB GET LOWER T14 BRO" from the regulars? Lazy and unhelpful, and just appended to the end of your guys' posts so you can pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than trying back-up your precious TLS internet friend crumpetsandtea. The groupthink in your guys' insular little clique is a little disturbing. Maybe you guys should just stay in the forever alone thread in the lounge. :roll:

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:08 pm

So... He still mad.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm

dakure wrote:So... He still mad.
Ladies and gentlemen, a prime example of the last two sentences in my previous post.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:And these trite little posts of "YA ULL PROB GET LOWER T14 BRO" from the regulars? Lazy and unhelpful, and just appended to the end of your guys' posts so you can pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than trying back-up your precious TLS internet friend crumpetsandtea. The groupthink in your guys' insular little clique is a little disturbing. Maybe you guys should just stay in the forever alone thread in the lounge. :roll:
You clearly lurk the megathreads in the lounge without posting and have issues letting go/joking about yourself/communicating with others. Who's aspie now? ;) And you're right-- "LSN really has very little to tell you" is sooooooooooooooooooo much more helpful than our "lower T14" comments. :lol: Not to mention your own original post here was only UMAD comments, and you went back and edited in the 'Anyway, [not really helpful comment]" to "pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than" being mad.

And fwiw, I'm totes aspie. I should make a badge or something. "CAUTION: TLS ASPIE REGULAR."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:And these trite little posts of "YA ULL PROB GET LOWER T14 BRO" from the regulars? Lazy and unhelpful, and just appended to the end of your guys' posts so you can pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than trying back-up your precious TLS internet friend crumpetsandtea. The groupthink in your guys' insular little clique is a little disturbing. Maybe you guys should just stay in the forever alone thread in the lounge. :roll:
You clearly lurk the megathreads in the lounge without posting and have issues letting go/joking about yourself/communicating with others. Who's aspie now? ;) And you're right-- "LSN really has very little to tell you" is sooooooooooooooooooo much more helpful than our "lower T14" comments. :lol: Not to mention your own original post here was only UMAD comments, and you went back and edited in the 'Anyway, [not really helpful comment]" to "pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than" being mad.

And fwiw, I'm totes aspie. I should make a badge or something. "CAUTION: TLS ASPIE REGULAR."
Lol, knowing a thread exists =/= lurk.

I know you guys are a clique because of the time I spent reading the LSAT subforum.

I can't tell what you're trying to say in the last sentence at all, but the only thing I edited was a one-word typo, sorry..

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Last night, I sawr a film/ As I recall, it was a horror film

OP Did you ED to UVA?
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Find your corners retards. OP has questions he wants answered.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: Dude, you just started arguing with everyone, which took the focus of the thread away from what OP was asking.
Except that didn't happen. I was trying to have a spirited debate with InGoodFaith before your pal crumpetsandtea had to grace the thread with a trollish meme and derail it.
JamMasterJ wrote: If you hadn't bitched people out and just answered the question, or, fuck, even left the thread alone, it would have probably turned out much more helpful for the OP.
Turned out much more helpful? Uhh.. no.

And these trite little posts of "YA ULL PROB GET LOWER T14 BRO" from the regulars? Lazy and unhelpful, and just appended to the end of your guys' posts so you can pretend to be in this thread for some reason other than trying back-up your precious TLS internet friend crumpetsandtea. The groupthink in your guys' insular little clique is a little disturbing. Maybe you guys should just stay in the forever alone thread in the lounge. :roll:
I've literally never posted in FA, but that's cool. also,
No one else would have replied and the thread would've been dead in the water. I think you can see that would've been the case.
really? how are you so sure?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Jack Smirks wrote:Find your corners retards. OP has questions he wants answered.
werd

edit: yes, i realize that includes me. but it includes the rest of you trolltacular regs too.

edit 2: i had fun tho and i aint even mad.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:37 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
Jack Smirks wrote:Find your corners retards. OP has questions he wants answered.
werd

edit: yes, i realize that includes me. but it includes the rest of you trolltacular regs too.

We're trolltacular!! This is getting used. Crumpie, SPREAD IT TO THE HIIIIVE.

OP, there are a few threads around about the non AA URM boost. It's awfully hard to predict. I would check LSN for similar profiles.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:44 pm

But you mad, brah?

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:24 pm

dakure wrote:So... He still mad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:26 pm

perhaps jelly

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Do you have WE?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:17 am

Strange wrote:The flow chart at the top says to make a thread if you're a urm
As much as I love Grizz, flow chart is generous at best.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 pm

To answer two above Q's:

No, I did not ED to UVA, I used my ED on Penn - is this a good idea? Should I keep it?

Yes, I have around 60 months of full time WE - all during undergrad & including two pretty interesting/competitive internships

ps. thanks for keeping this alive w/ a forum argument

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 pm

boosk wrote:To answer two above Q's:

No, I did not ED to UVA, I used my ED on Penn - is this a good idea? Should I keep it?

Yes, I have around 60 months of full time WE - all during undergrad & including two pretty interesting/competitive internships

I would not ED anywhere given that youre a URM, but I guess you can't reverse it now.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Strange wrote:

I would not ED anywhere given that youre a URM, but I guess you can't reverse it now.
i could always withdraw that app...

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:04 pm

boosk wrote:
Strange wrote:

i could always withdraw that app...
I dunno how that works. I think as a URM you've already way outperformed your numbers by getting into texas. UVA my have rejected you but other schools will probably see you the same way Texas does, and I think it's worth taking a chance to see how that plays out. Unless you're SUPER set on Penn.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:36 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
werd

Failing to see how this is an insult.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”