Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jonny5
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby jonny5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I am currently writing my PS.

Considering these schools:
(I will be applying to the schools that have emailed me asking me to apply for free(Regent/Cooley etc.)

(1)Rutgers-Newark
Seton Hall
(2)CUNY
Albany
New England Law School
(3)Pace
South Carolina
NCCU
Miami
Florida Coastal
FIU
Stetson

I am sure I am missing some schools. This is just a list of schools I am interested in and I would love any feedback on my chances.

Thanks in advance

User avatar
biglaw$
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:13 pm

You should apply for jobs you can obtain with your current degree. Don't go to law school if these are your only choices. Save yourself.

jonny5
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby jonny5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks, but I am.looking for what my chances for certain schools are, I am pretty sure I will be attending law school, I would be very happy with a Rutgers or pace etc.

If you know of a school that I should apply to with my scores than please let me know.

Its Always Sunny
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 pm

flame. Out everywhere except cooley pace Albany Florida coastal etc.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

jonny5 ?

Isn't that the robot from Short Circuit?

mighttransfer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby mighttransfer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I highly recommend that you retake. You have a solid GPA, but your weak LSAT will likely preclude you from attending any worthwhile schools. If you can jump to the high 150s/low 160s, you will have a solid shot of receiving money at schools like Rutgers, Pace, Hofstra, etc. What are your career goals and where do you want to practice? Answering these questions will help myself and others provide you with more substantial advice. But I really think that a retake is in your best interest.

User avatar
Jah'rakal
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Jah'rakal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 pm

jonny5 wrote:I am currently writing my PS.

Considering these schools:
(I will be applying to the schools that have emailed me asking me to apply for free(Regent/Cooley etc.)

(1)Rutgers-Newark
Seton Hall
(2)CUNY
Albany
New England Law School
(3)Pace
South Carolina
NCCU
Miami
Florida Coastal
FIU
Stetson

I am sure I am missing some schools. This is just a list of schools I am interested in and I would love any feedback on my chances.

Thanks in advance


solid list, i think it's good

User avatar
biglaw$
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:11 pm

jonny5 wrote:Thanks, but I am.looking for what my chances for certain schools are, I am pretty sure I will be attending law school, I would be very happy with a Rutgers or pace etc.

If you know of a school that I should apply to with my scores than please let me know.


I call flame as well, but if not...

don't go to law school with those numbers. There is no way you will be able to pay off your debt before the economy crashes. Do you really want to be living with 100k+ debt at a time when there are no legal jobs to be had? I say no jobs, because, for 90% of the students that attend those schools you listed, there are no legal jobs available.

It's hard to get a decent legal gig from a t14 school ITE. Things are going to get far worse before they get better, if they do get better. Do yourself and everyone a favor and don't go to law school with those numbers.

jonny5
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby jonny5 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Please stop responding to.this post biglaw

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby HBK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 pm

gaud wrote:jonny5 ?

Isn't that the robot from Short Circuit?


Los locos kick your ass, los locos kick for face, los locos kick your balls into outer space!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 pm

HBK wrote:
gaud wrote:jonny5 ?

Isn't that the robot from Short Circuit?


Los locos kick your ass, los locos kick for face, los locos kick your balls into outer space!



Precisely!

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 pm

OP,

Add Hamline and Elon School of Law to your list. Don't know if you're interested in international law or not, but Nova has a good program that is almost on par with Barry. Hope you have a great cycle!

User avatar
hob12
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby hob12 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:40 pm

I have a friend in a similar situation. Do you have good softs? I think you have a solid list, maybe add another reach school, you never know.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Don't know how this hasn't been said yet, but TCR is lawschoolnumbers.com

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Retake. I went from 153 (low 140s on my first PT) to a 166. Put in the time and you'll be fine. Save yourself the debt at these schools.

Good luck.

E
Last edited by JustE on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Yukos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow this thread is a magnet for trolls. Jonny5, you may hate to hear it, but BigLaw is right. Retake is not the correct answer, it is the only answer.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby cinephile » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:27 pm

When looking at this range of schools, don't pay more than $10k a year for them. So focus on cheap in-state schools,scholarships, etc.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.



lol it is FAR superior than the first... who doesn't love a gold-plated robot crime fighter? I know I do.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

gaud wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.



lol it is FAR superior than the first... who doesn't love a gold-plated robot crime fighter? I know I do.


YOU. I like you.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
gaud wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.



lol it is FAR superior than the first... who doesn't love a gold-plated robot crime fighter? I know I do.


YOU. I like you.



Well thank you. Any fan of SS2 is a friend of mine!

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.


This has gotta be the biggest flame in the thread. I can't even comprehend someone liking Short Circuit 2 more than the original.

As for the OP: Retake is by far your best option. Take a year off, boost your LSAT score, make sure law school is the right decision for you and reapply to schools that will let you actually leave you with a good chance of obtaining a legal job. If you are too hardheaded to retake, go to the cheapest school possible so at least this mistake* will burden you with the least amount of debt as possible.

*qualifier: It could work out for you. You could also potentially make a shitton by going to Vegas. The odds are against this being a wise decision though.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:33 pm

OP:

I scored a 148 on the Feb. 2011 test. I sat last year's cycle out. I studied this past summer and scored a 163 in Oct. 2011. If you're positive law school is for you, sitting out this cycle and re-taking provides the best opportunity. Good luck!

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.


This has gotta be the biggest flame in the thread. I can't even comprehend someone liking Short Circuit 2 more than the original.


This is the last time Ill derail the thread. Just in case, OP retake for sure.

I don't know what standards of judgment you use when watching 80's movies about talking robots, but when I do, I tend to enjoy the more ridiculous and absurd plot lines/characters/dialogue. Nowhere will you find a better 80's talking robot movie than Short Circuit 2.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Unsure where to apply....153 & 3.6

Postby HBK » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Short Circuit is one of the only film series in which I think the sequel is better than the original.


This has gotta be the biggest flame in the thread. I can't even comprehend someone liking Short Circuit 2 more than the original.


This is the last time Ill derail the thread. Just in case, OP retake for sure.

I don't know what standards of judgment you use when watching 80's movies about talking robots, but when I do, I tend to enjoy the more ridiculous and absurd plot lines/characters/dialogue. Nowhere will you find a better 80's talking robot movie than Short Circuit 2.


But it's a Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg v. a white guy pretending to be an Indian. It's tough. Johnny 5 was better in Short Circuit 2, but the supporting cast was not as good.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests