Chances - 3.65/169/non URM - looking at many schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hookem12

Chances - 3.65/169/non URM - looking at many schools

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:05 am

Disclaimer: I did read through other posts with similar stats but ultimately decided to create a new post. I know this is annoying, and I apologize.

I have a 3.65 and a 169, non-URM and looking at a wide variety of schools. Northwestern is my reach, but also looking at UT-Austin (where I study as an undergrad), Georgetown, USC, and Vanderbilt as my top picks. Applying to several backups as well (SMU, UW-Seattle, BC, Georgia) - though I hesitate to call them safeties or backups because I would be very happy at any of them. Any sort of scholarship would be nice, but not a deciding factor.

I have 3 strong rec letters and a personal statement that is fairly unique, though I know schools are pretty much just about the numbers. I've looked at at least 5 different calculators online, but how are my chances at the schools I've mentioned? If you know of anyone that's gotten in/been waitlisted/rejected with stats similar, that would be helpful!

/edit/
Lots of extracurriculars and exec positions in a few, study abroads, community service and decent internships - law firm, state senator and think tank. Don't even know if they care about the resume, but just in case.
Last edited by hookem12 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

FryBreadPower

Re: Chances - 3.65/169/non URM - looking at many schools

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 am

lawschoolpredictor.com
lawschoolnumbers.com

NU is going to be tough without post-grad WE. Ok shots at the other schools (good shot at USC).

Apply as soon as you can to get the advantage of applying early.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 am

hookem12 wrote:Disclaimer: I did read through other posts with similar stats but ultimately decided to create a new post. I know this is annoying, and I apologize.

I have a 3.65 and a 169, non-URM and looking at a wide variety of schools. Northwestern is my reach, but also looking at UT-Austin (where I study as an undergrad), Georgetown, USC, and Vanderbilt as my top picks. Applying to several backups as well (SMU, UW-Seattle, BC, Georgia) - though I hesitate to call them safeties or backups because I would be very happy at any of them. Any sort of scholarship would be nice, but not a deciding factor.

I have 3 strong rec letters and a personal statement that is fairly unique, though I know schools are pretty much just about the numbers. I've looked at at least 5 different calculators online, but how are my chances at the schools I've mentioned? If you know of anyone that's gotten in/been waitlisted/rejected with stats similar, that would be helpful!

/edit/
Lots of extracurriculars and exec positions in a few, lots of community service and good internships since freshman year. Don't even know if they care about the resume, but just in case.

When you're hovering in the shot-at-low-T14-or-$$$-at-a-T25 range like you are, it's a good idea to start thinking about where you want to end up after LS.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 am

hookem12 wrote:If you know of anyone that's gotten in/been waitlisted/rejected with stats similar, that would be helpful!

lawschoolnumbers.com

Enjoy

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=170051

decaf735

Postby decaf735 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 am

I'm gonna say that you have a 0% of Northwestern, as it appears you are still in undergrad. Literally probably won't be worth the application fee. Why is Northwestern your choice of reach school just out of curiosity? You probably have a better chance at snagging MVP and up than you do there, and they are "better" schools.

Likewise you have a solid shot at GTown, though it could go either way.

Probably in at Vanderbilt, more probably in at USC and UT.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 am

decaf735 wrote:I'm gonna say that you have a 0% of Northwestern, as it appears you are still in undergrad. Literally probably won't be worth the application fee. Why is Northwestern your choice of reach school just out of curiosity? You probably have a better chance at snagging MVP and up than you do there, and they are "better" schools.

Likewise you have a solid shot at GTown, though it could go either way.

Probably in at Vanderbilt, more probably in at USC and UT.

I figured that about Northwestern, because they definitely emphasize work experience first. I chose to apply to it out of the other reach schools for a few reasons. I guess the first is that I know more about it than many of the other T-14 schools, and there are specific programs that really appeal to me and what (I think) I want to do with a law degree. The second is that I've just always wanted to attend Northwestern (top pick for undergrad, sadly it didn't work out). I love Chicago and would really enjoy living/working there. I would apply to U Chicago except that I think there's a less than 0% chance that I could get in, but for now I'm crossing my fingers for the probably ins

Return to “What are my chances?”