Texas w/o LOR

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LSHopeful91

Texas w/o LOR

Postby LSHopeful91 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 am

I have a 172 and a 3.74 GPA. I'm in the process of getting my LORs right now, but my writers have told me that their letters are going to be significantly delayed. What are my chances if I submit without any LOR on file for Texas? Is it worth waiting, or should I just pull the trigger and go for it?

tdicks

Re: Texas w/o LOR

Postby tdicks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:46 pm

what's significantly delayed?? applying with ZERO rec letters seems like an awful idea to me. obviously sh*t happens, but it would look like your were either A) too lazy to ask or B) couldn't find a single person to recommend you.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Just wait, you'll get in to Texas with those numbers

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:09 pm

From what I understand, LORs are the least consequential part of your application, as evidenced by the fact that UT makes them completely optional. With your numbers, omitting a LOR shouldn't hurt you - some members of the adcomm might think you're either lazy or arrogant, but, in the end, I can't imagine them dinging you based on your LORs (or lack thereof) alone.

That said, I would still recommend getting an LOR in sooner or later for two reasons. First, not having at least one LOR makes it seem like you're not serious about UT, and since your numbers are well above their medians, you might get yield protected. Also, while you're not on the margin of acceptance, you may be on the margin of receiving of large scholarship, in which case having at least one (preferably two) academic LORs will be helpful.

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Just send in your application and send the admits an email about how you requested your letters a while ago but [insert explanation for why the letters are taking a long time]. I'm pretty sure you could just email admissions and ask then what they think if you really want to... UVA has been very nice about any questions I've had about the process.

LSHopeful91

Postby LSHopeful91 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I have another question though: Do you think if I wrote an addendum explaining why the letters would be so late (and trust me, it was for a good reason) and why I chose to go ahead without them, that it would mitigate the potential consequences of not sending an app in without the letters? I emailed admissions today and asked them the same thing, but I want to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:34 pm

LSHopeful91 wrote:Thanks for all the responses.

I have another question though: Do you think if I wrote an addendum explaining why the letters would be so late (and trust me, it was for a good reason) and why I chose to go ahead without them, that it would mitigate the potential consequences of not sending an app in without the letters? I emailed admissions today and asked them the same thing, but I want to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

My suggestions:

Do send in application, without letters. Supplement later with letters when they become available. Stop emailing admissions with questions like that before you ask here.

LSHopeful91

Postby LSHopeful91 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Sorry, I should rephrase: I asked admissions whether they would recommend that I send it in w/o the letter or just wait. Not about the addendum part, that's for Top Law School first. Speaking of which, what do you think about the addendum idea?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:19 pm

My opinion: don't send an addendum explaining why you don't have a part of the application that's optional anyway. I wouldn't suggest sending an addendum describing why you're not writing an optional "Why [law school X]" essay, or explaining the fact that you didn't write the diversity essay.

If/when you get the letters, send them along (via hardcopy, if possible) with a short letter asking the admissions office to please supplement your application file with the enclosed LORs.

Return to “What are my chances?”