4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby luxxe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm

4.0/169 in October. Considering re-taking in December.

Columbia is where I would ideally like to end up, but with Chicago's higher GPA 75th/lower LSAT 25th, I feel like I have a better chance there. I was very set on ED'ing to Columbia, but now I am thinking Chicago may be safer & honestly I just want to be in the T6.

Last year on LSN, one person applied to Columbia with 168/4.0 ED & got accepted, but everyone who applied RD was waitlisted or rejected. For Chicago, the one person who applied ED with a 169/3.9 was accepted, and about half the people who applied RD were accepted/half waitlisted.

Thoughts?

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Numbers twin. I applied ED to Columbia last yr w/ 169/4.0. Was WLed. Got accepted to Chicago RD. I think unless you have a super prestigious undergrad or some great softs, Columbia might still be a little out of reach. If you're dead set on either one of these schools, I would ED to Chicago.

Otherwise, I strongly recommending just blanketing the T10 and weighing scholarship offers, etc in the end.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:41 pm

My gut tells me that an ED to Chicago would be more fruitful. You are, after all, below the LSAT 25th% for Columbia.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby Curious1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:My gut tells me that an ED to Chicago would be more fruitful. You are, after all, below the LSAT 25th% for Columbia.


Is being (slightly) below one 25th THAT deadly if you're above the other 75th?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:My gut tells me that an ED to Chicago would be more fruitful. You are, after all, below the LSAT 25th% for Columbia.


Is being (slightly) below one 25th THAT deadly if you're above the other 75th?


Well, it's really hard to tell with a lack of data points for ED in this range. I was simply saying that an ED to Chicago would probably provide a better chance of acceptance than an ED to CLS.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby Curious1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:My gut tells me that an ED to Chicago would be more fruitful. You are, after all, below the LSAT 25th% for Columbia.


Is being (slightly) below one 25th THAT deadly if you're above the other 75th?


Well, it's really hard to tell with a lack of data points for ED in this range. I was simply saying that an ED to Chicago would probably provide a better chance of acceptance than an ED to CLS.


Hmm...but CLS is so much bigger than Chicago, and I was under the impression Chicago's medians are way on the way up for the last few years?

I've always thought of them as peer schools with similar admissions rates. I would just ED to the one you like best.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:My gut tells me that an ED to Chicago would be more fruitful. You are, after all, below the LSAT 25th% for Columbia.


Is being (slightly) below one 25th THAT deadly if you're above the other 75th?


Well, it's really hard to tell with a lack of data points for ED in this range. I was simply saying that an ED to Chicago would probably provide a better chance of acceptance than an ED to CLS.


Hmm...but CLS is so much bigger than Chicago, and I was under the impression Chicago's medians are way on the way up for the last few years?

I've always thought of them as peer schools with similar admissions rates. I would just ED to the one you like best.


There's definitely an argument to be made for the bolded part.

Yes, Chicago's GPA median rose drastically last year (and is quite a bit higher than Columbia's), but it's LSAT 25-50-75 still lags behind Columbia's.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby luxxe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote: Yes, Chicago's GPA median rose drastically last year (and is quite a bit higher than Columbia's), but it's LSAT 25-50-75 still lags behind Columbia's.


I took this + the fall in LSAT 25th to 167 to be good news for me, but I may be misguided. Being above GPA 75th & between LSAT 25th & median makes me feel a lot better about Chicago, though.

I would be really, really thrilled to be at either school and just want to make sure I end up at one of them. Thanks for your help! I think Chicago it is.

Now to struggle with the decision to re-take in December in case I get rejected from Chicago ED...

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby duckmoney » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Chicago is a very small class, so it tends to be a bit less numbers oriented and bit more about "fit" than Columbia. Obviously the numbers are important, and it will maintain (if not raise) its medians, but it will be a bit more of crapshoot than the bigger schools. This can work for you or against you.

You can get into Chicago without an ED for sure, although I feel like that would make it a lock. With a 169, you won't get much T14 money except for Cornell and Duke (and maybe a smidgeon from Michigan), so an ED might not be a terrible idea if you really like Chicago.

Columbia will probably WL you anyway since they tend to do that to anything that moves with below a 170 that isn't a URM.

User avatar
bretby
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby bretby » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

duckmoney wrote:Chicago is a very small class, so it tends to be a bit less numbers oriented and bit more about "fit" than Columbia. Obviously the numbers are important, and it will maintain (if not raise) its medians, but it will be a bit more of crapshoot than the bigger schools. This can work for you or against you.

You can get into Chicago without an ED for sure, although I feel like that would make it a lock. With a 169, you won't get much T14 money except for Cornell and Duke (and maybe a smidgeon from Michigan), so an ED might not be a terrible idea if you really like Chicago.

Columbia will probably WL you anyway since they tend to do that to anything that moves with below a 170 that isn't a URM.


Is $$ all about numbers or are strong softs also considered?

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:07 pm

luxxe wrote:honestly I just want to be in the T6.


This is flame, yes?

Like, a real person would't actually pass on a full ride at Northwestern for sticker at Chicago, would they?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm

why necro a four year old thread to ask that

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Brut wrote:why necro a four year old thread to ask that


Whoops!

I didn't see the dates

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: 4.0/169 - ED to Chicago or Columbia?

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:11 pm

no i was referring to bretby lol
i agree with your post




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests