Best odds at T14 166/3.28

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
john1990

Re: Best odds at T14 166/3.28

Postby john1990 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Kabuo wrote:Applying to any T14 is a complete waste of money. You have 0 chance. I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but you know the metric you're looking at isn't very accurate and even it tells you the odds are shitty. 0 chance. If you just want to spend a grand, go buy a nice laptop or something.

Well i'm only applying to Gtown and Ann-Arbor, so its only $180. Also, i didn't realize that hourumb was inaccurate. Further, hourumb says my odds are about 5%, not 0.

Is hourumb really inaccurate? Whats a better calculator to use?

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:58 pm

john1990 wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Applying to any T14 is a complete waste of money. You have 0 chance. I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but you know the metric you're looking at isn't very accurate and even it tells you the odds are shitty. 0 chance. If you just want to spend a grand, go buy a nice laptop or something.

Well i'm only applying to Gtown and Ann-Arbor, so its only $180. Also, i didn't realize that hourumb was inaccurate. Further, hourumb says my odds are about 5%, not 0.

That isn't a 5% chance for all applicants w/ #s such as yours. It's not like saying you have a 5% chance of lottery, where if you buy 100 tickets, you'll have 5 winning tickets

Eg, the HIV/AIDS rate in USA is 0.6%. That doesn't mean you have a 0.6% chance of HIV/AIDS. You ONLY stand to belong to that 0.6% if you've exposed yourself to transmission conditions.

You ONLY stand to be in that 5% pool of applicants if you are a SPECIAL applicant (based on what you've said, it seems that you aren't)

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
john1990 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:same LSAT and my GPA was 0.50 points above yours (ie, 3.75+) and I didn't get T14

so I'd say your odds are 0 or very close to 0

Sorry bro, tough break

Let's be clear, "bro" - I got big scholly at multiple schools outside the T14. You're not in the same position, "bro". Your GPA is bad, period

You WILL NOT get big money anywhere inside the T30. With your terrible GPA, the best chance you have of attending law school w/out crushing debt is OUTSIDE THE T30

wow you got angry with your edit haha. After i said i wasn't trying to offend you too haha.
Good luck in the job market, no school's name in the world will make up for your behavior though. I can only pity your co-workers (assuming you can find a boss who makes the mistaken assumption that you would be a tolerable employee)
With your terrible attitude the only place you will find employment is at wal-mart, just don't backtalk the customers bro, or they will fire you

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:38 pm

john1990 wrote:
wow you got angry with your edit haha. After i said i wasn't trying to offend you too haha.
Good luck in the job market, no school's name in the world will make up for your behavior though. I can only pity your co-workers (assuming you can find a boss who makes the mistaken assumption that you would be a tolerable employee)
With your terrible attitude the only place you will find employment is at wal-mart, just don't backtalk the customers bro, or they will fire you

oh no an ad hominem

if your best argument is "at least i have a better personality than someone i don't know from over the internet" then i'm afraid law school is not for you

before you utter such embarrassing stupidity again read the following:
1.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
2.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion
3.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wishful_thinking

Here are the facts, "bro", from someone who has been through this process, and in a much better position than yours:

you WILL NOT get T14 w/ your numbers.
you WILL NOT get into most T30 w/ your numbers.
you WILL NOT get into most T1s as a matter of FACT
you WILL NOT get big scholly from any T30 NOT in the cornfields
T14 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT
T20 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT
T30 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT (excepting IU)
T40 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT (excepting possibly wisconsin, asu)
T50 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT (excepting possibly maryland)

any sort of preliminary research would have yielded this info for you, so for you to strut around a bunch of CURRENT LAW STUDENTS as if you KNOW BETTER is incredibly irritating. you are a TIER 2 candidate, asking if you can get into the TOP FOURTEEN schools in the nation, and then DENYING everyone who knows better

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 pm

tttlllsss wrote:T30 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT (excepting IU)

I don't think it's this drastic. OP, check LSN.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:25 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
john1990 wrote:

oh no an ad hominem

if your best argument is "at least i have a better personality than someone i don't know from over the internet" then i'm afraid law school is not for you

Here are the facts, "bro", from someone who has been through this process, and in a much better position than yours:

you WILL NOT get T14 w/ your numbers.
you WILL NOT get into most T30 w/ your numbers.
you WILL NOT get into most T1s as a matter of FACT
you WILL NOT get big scholly from any T30 NOT in the cornfields
T14 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT
T20 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT
T30 is a COMPLETE SHUT-OUT (excepting IU)

any sort of preliminary research would have yielded this info for you, so for you to strut around a bunch of CURRENT LAW STUDENTS as if you KNOW BETTER is incredibly irritating. you are a TIER 2 candidate, asking if you can get into the TOP FOURTEEN schools in the nation, and then DENYING everyone who knows better

Um.. this is totally wrong. I am someone with likewise numbers and I am at a school in the 40s. This cycle looks like it will have less applicants, so he will probably even have better luck. Just because you don't like the dude it doesn't mean you have to give weird passive aggressive bogus advice.

This thread should probably be locked

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 am

t14 is gonna be a no-go, but tier 1 is def ok

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:33 am

Thanks for the advice guys. If an admin wants to lock this thread, frankly id appreciate it :roll:
in fact if you deleted it that would be even better :mrgreen:

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 am

tttlllsss wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
john1990 wrote:
citykitty wrote:Do you have a good story? My GPA is lower, but my LSAT is at or above some medians, and I had a good story, so it worked for me.

I have a very good story (i think) of being extremely financially disadvantaged and my PS is about this and an occasion when i saved my neighbor when someone burglarized her apartment and assaulted her

ohh yeah, i liked your PS.
also chill out tttllllsss. if he wants to apply to schools that are totally out of his reach, why should you get bent out of shape about it?

cuz its a waste of money.

i don't want to hear "it's his money; he can do whatever he wants w/ it" - that's a flimsy argument in any situation where you could have advised someone w/ inferior information against wasting his money

Maybe. But he'll be getting fee waivers. I did. $16 isn't that bad.

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:59 am

john1990 wrote:

First of all, its MICHIGAN. Ann Arbor is a town...and a nice one...but as far as I know you need not apply to live there. Nor is there a dash in it. I've never heard the school referred to as Ann Arbor before before and Dean Z will laugh at you if you put it anywhere in your application. hourumb is inaccurate. Your odds are very nearly 0...but spend your money however you like.

Did you mean Cooley? That's also in Ann Arbor and unlike Michigan, you have a shot there.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 am

With a 166 you should be getting some CRS fee waivers. If you don't, then don't apply. One has to assume that getting a fee waiver is a somewhat decent indicator that they are willing to look at your package and that you're not below the level at which they won't consider you.

Of course, getting a fee waiver could still result in rejection and in some instances might be an indicator that they want you to apply so they can deny you and improve their numbers.

However, if you're not getting fee waivers from T1 schools then your shots at the T14 are very dismal and I wouldn't waste that amount of $ on something with such shitty chances. Unless you're rolling in $, you'll need to pay seat deposits, relocation expenses, etc.... and that $200 could prove beneficial when it comes time to do so.

Good luck.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 am

Blowhard, i would not put Ann Arbor on my application, this is just a forum, sorry if i offended you :roll:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 am

If you don't retake, you have no shot

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

tttlllsss wrote:Let's be clear, "bro" - I got big scholly at multiple schools outside the T14. You're not in the same position, "bro". Your GPA is bad, period

You WILL NOT get big money anywhere inside the T30. With your terrible GPA, the best chance you have of attending law school w/out crushing debt is OUTSIDE THE T30

I like your bromidic rants.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 pm

BiglawOrBust wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Let's be clear, "bro" - I got big scholly at multiple schools outside the T14. You're not in the same position, "bro". Your GPA is bad, period

I like your bromidic rants.

+1

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:11 am

oh no an ad hominem

Someone took a Logic course!

OP: I can respect the optimism, but come on. You're not getting in. Even with fee waivers, don't waste the $16 bucks. If you're applying to 2, thats $32 (hows THAT for some math!?). Would you take $32 out of your wallet, set it down on the ground, and walk away?

hooma

Postby hooma » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:30 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
oh no an ad hominem

OP: I can respect the optimism, but come on. You're not getting in. Even with fee waivers, don't waste the $16 bucks. If you're applying to 2, thats $32 (hows THAT for some math!?). Would you take $32 out of your wallet, set it down on the ground, and walk away?

I think it's more like putting $32 on a roulette table with the expectation that you'll certainly lose it, but maybe you won't...

Some people wouldn't gamble $32 with losing odds, some people would gamble a lot more. I say go for it, if it's only $32 and not $192, but that's still your call.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:37 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
oh no an ad hominem

If he did, he slept through most of it. OP would have to attack his argument as being flawed because his opponent is a douche for it to be an ad hominem. Calling his opponent a douche for acting like a douche, well, that's just being thorough.

But yeah, OP, you stand a very small sliver of a chance at an acceptance. I think 5% might even be high. But it's your money, spend it how you want. It's a better use than buying Garbage Pail Kids cards, but maybe only slightly.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:39 am

This thread is just stale at this point.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:38 pm

OP I vote apply. If money is not an issue, why not?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
john1990 wrote:

That isn't a 5% chance for all applicants w/ #s such as yours. It's not like saying you have a 5% chance of lottery, where if you buy 100 tickets, you'll have 5 winning tickets

Eg, the HIV/AIDS rate in USA is 0.6%. That doesn't mean you have a 0.6% chance of HIV/AIDS. You ONLY stand to belong to that 0.6% if you've exposed yourself to transmission conditions.

You ONLY stand to be in that 5% pool of applicants if you are a SPECIAL applicant (based on what you've said, it seems that you aren't)

+1. OP, if you're not a URM, you have no shot. sorry.
Also, hourmund or whatever is not accurate.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Why is this thread being necroed.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Curious1 wrote:Why is this thread being necroed.

I don't think 5 days is necro-ing

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:01 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

Considering it's been dead since day 1...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am

Curious1 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Considering it's been dead since day 1...

yeah, true

Return to “What are my chances?”