MIPs and law school chances/opportunity

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

MIPs and law school chances/opportunity

Postby lakers4 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello all, I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, please let me know and I can post elsewhere.

I received an MIP my freshman year of college, and now have just received another MIP, unfortunately it is 5 weeks until I am 21. My question is whether having two MIPs on my application will hurt me dramatically? Is it worth attempting to get a lawyer to just try and perhaps come away with a different and less infraction? I will be applying to schools this fall and it just has been really tough mentally now that this just happened. Any words would be incredible.

Re: MIPs and law school chances/opportunity

Postby grtbooks91 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm applying this fall too in a very similar situation, and I've asked some people for advice. I may be totally off, but the general consensus (both here and elsewhere) seems to be that schools really don't care too much as long as you disclose with a fair amount of detail (though not excessive).

It seems like they are most worried about graduating an applicant who has not disclosed something that might prevent them from gaining admission to a bar later on rather than denying someone acceptance up front based on this sort of thing. It seems like the best thing to do is write a good statement that shows you have moved on and that the offenses aren't indicative of your responsibility or something similar. If you do that, I don't get the sense that this would be any reason why you shouldn't get into schools appropriate for your numbers.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Postby giantsfan703 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:01 pm

I wouldn't worry about two MIPs at all. They won't care. I have an MIP, drunk in public and open container and I've been accepted three places already. Granted they all occurred more than seven years ago, but I wouldn't sweat that. Those are really minor infractions. You're all good.

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Tulane has a convicted murderer in the 1L class. (I seem to be typing this a lot lately.)

Disclose and you'll be ok. It would be better if the most recent one was several years ago because then you could write that you'd learned your lesson, but at least there are only two.

Return to “What are my chances?”