2.6/162

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
econ_runner

2.6/162

Postby econ_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I realize that my aspirations should be tempered, and retaking is not in my best interest as I would like to get applications sent in prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.
My school list thusfar (with my thoughts on the likelihood of admittance)
Kentucky (low)
West Virginia (medium)
Capital (high)
Ohio Northern (high)
Northern kentucky (medium-high)
Appalachian (high, although if admitted I probably would not attend)

There are 13 schools I'm going to send applications, but I think this list is an accurate representation of the level of schools I'm looking toward. (ie, reaches in Kentucky, probable with WVU, and safeties). I have a year of w/e and am currently a professional volunteer for a non-profit law firm in WV. Plus my LOR's will be really strong. Thoughts?

sach1282

Re: 2.6/162

Postby sach1282 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Look up the above schools on http://www.lawschooltransparency.com.

You might want to reconsider applying to law school.

econ_runner

Postby econ_runner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:04 pm

I appreciate the link. I checked it over and there really is not anything on there that I did not already know. As far as realistic expectations regarding a legal career I have a more cynical view than most. I have actually contemplated whether law school is the best economic decision, and truthfully it probably is not. It's a risk, and I know that law schools are more interested in making money off of law students than anything else. I realize that law firms want law schools to graduate as many JD's as possible to drive up the labor force and decrease wages. With my background and econ degree I could make a lot more money simply sitting out of law school and staying to work at my old job with the bank. However, I'm not in this for the money, nor am I the "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer" type of person. Where I live there is an actual need for good attorneys to help people with daily legal battles. Not a high paying job by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely a job I believe in. I really do appreciate your advice and concern, and I have given this more thought than probably 80-90% of prospective JD applicants. (BTW, I should have mentioned my GPA is aweful because of an undiagnosed illness my freshman semester that culminated in a short period of homelessness, both of which are addressed in my PS).

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:09 pm

econ_runner wrote:I appreciate the link. I checked it over and there really is not anything on there that I did not already know. As far as realistic expectations regarding a legal career I have a more cynical view than most. I have actually contemplated whether law school is the best economic decision, and truthfully it probably is not. It's a risk, and I know that law schools are more interested in making money off of law students than anything else. I realize that law firms want law schools to graduate as many JD's as possible to drive up the labor force and decrease wages. With my background and econ degree I could make a lot more money simply sitting out of law school and staying to work at my old job with the bank. However, I'm not in this for the money, nor am I the "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer" type of person. Where I live there is an actual need for good attorneys to help people with daily legal battles. Not a high paying job by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely a job I believe in. I really do appreciate your advice and concern, and I have given this more thought than probably 80-90% of prospective JD applicants. (BTW, I should have mentioned my GPA is aweful because of an undiagnosed illness my freshman semester that culminated in a short period of homelessness, both of which are addressed in my PS).

Yes, but do you recognize that with the enormous debt you'll take on to attend one of those schools, your standard of living will be far worse even if you end up making exactly what you make now.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:20 pm

OP, aim a little higher, u can get in a T1 and some T2 schools if you are willing to leave the region

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 pm

@OP: As a former professional volunteer, have you looked to see if you can get post-americorps type funding/fee waivers? I know a bunch of LS' have scholarships for alumnus of professional volunteer programs.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm

econ_runner wrote:I appreciate the link. I checked it over and there really is not anything on there that I did not already know. As far as realistic expectations regarding a legal career I have a more cynical view than most. I have actually contemplated whether law school is the best economic decision, and truthfully it probably is not. It's a risk, and I know that law schools are more interested in making money off of law students than anything else. I realize that law firms want law schools to graduate as many JD's as possible to drive up the labor force and decrease wages. With my background and econ degree I could make a lot more money simply sitting out of law school and staying to work at my old job with the bank. However, I'm not in this for the money, nor am I the "I've always dreamt of being a lawyer" type of person. Where I live there is an actual need for good attorneys to help people with daily legal battles. Not a high paying job by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely a job I believe in. I really do appreciate your advice and concern, and I have given this more thought than probably 80-90% of prospective JD applicants. (BTW, I should have mentioned my GPA is aweful because of an undiagnosed illness my freshman semester that culminated in a short period of homelessness, both of which are addressed in my PS).

You can do all of these things one year later with a retake and scholarship money.

Why take out loans and saddle yourself in debt for a POTENTIAL shot at being a lawyer?

People aren't just telling you that you'll make little money from these schools. They're telling you that there's a high chance you won't become a lawyer at all and then you won't be able to achieve any of your goals. Why not take one more year and see if you score high enough to nail a full ride? Then all you'll be risking is your time.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:16 am

xChiTowNx wrote:@OP: As a former professional volunteer, have you looked to see if you can get post-americorps type funding/fee waivers? I know a bunch of LS' have scholarships for alumnus of professional volunteer programs.

OXYMORON

econ_runner

Postby econ_runner » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm

xChiTowNx wrote:@OP: As a former professional volunteer, have you looked to see if you can get post-americorps type funding/fee waivers? I know a bunch of LS' have scholarships for alumnus of professional volunteer programs.

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the AmeriCorps reference. I haven't checked out any fee waivers for americorps. I guess I would just email the school I would be applying to regarding the waiver. I'm not sure if it'd help or not, but my AmeriCorps year will be ending in August of '12. I'll definitely look into this though.

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:51 pm

You are in at WVU.

Return to “What are my chances?”